• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz or Comet for an intermediate player?

...rather than establishing habits and then trying to change those to work with a Comet.

I picked this out because alot of new players (myself included) pick up the latest greatest warp speed driver. They ultimately learn bad habits from the start, then realize that their form is full of OAT.
I happened to be lucky enough to meet up w/ a Legacy member of the PDGA right as I started. He gave me some really great advice on throwing putters and mids.

When I take people interested in the game out for the first time, I always give them a Comet. It's best to start with clean form, and a Comet will do exactly what you tell it to do. It's like a longer putter in the sense that it can hold any line and likes height. This will teach you how to put the disc up in the air on longer lines, and if you get an X Comet it will beat in quickly and you can then learn to hyzer flip it. Another important thing a Comet will ingrain in you is that smoothness and above all snap is more effective than some idea of raw power. If you don't put enough spin on a seasoned Comet, it will turn over even if your angle of release is clean before it gets out to 300'. You'll learn release angles, clean release with your grip, how to snap the disc to put spin on it, and how to throw smoothly and rhythmically much easier with a Comet than with a Buzzz.

I keep both Buzzzes and Comets in the bag and love them both. I probably throw the Comet two times for every time I throw the Buzzz, because it's longer for me with less effort. I can get it out to about 325 on a golf line on flat ground, and while I can do that with a Buzzz, it takes a bit more effort. Whenever I throw it, even older more experienced players than me are surprised about the lines the Comet is capable of and how much distance you can get with that kind of control.

One final thing: there's no need to fear the Comet. If you are just starting out, you're in a great position to throw one. The fact is, with some concentration anyone can throw a Comet straight. The reason why people don't do that is that you might have to power down a lot and throw from a standstill to do that, and you'll likely lose some distance. But you can throw the Comet straight, because that's easy to do and that will teach you to prioritize clean form over distance, and you'll never get the distance you want unless you prioritize form with every shot.

So I'd say get a Comet, and don't be afraid of it. Get it to go dead straight, no matter how short you have to throw it to do that. Then just push it farther and farther. Use the Buzzz as your stable fairway driver (I'd say that's probably the best slot for it at your power level-something like a Teebird might be overstable for you at first, so it will go in your overstable driver slot).

Thanks for your responses.

This sounds like the plan: play the Buzz now. Practice with the Comet.

Is heavy better with mid range discs, say anything over 170?

i started with a 179 z buzzz and it did not fly as advertised, it acted more stable than my roc
now i have a 168 z buzzz and its way better
(all my mids are 167-171 now, and its much better for my beginner arm)

my wife just switched from a 150 shark to a 162 Pro-D buzzz and she loves it
(the pro-d is a little more like a buzzz ss)

Picked up a 168 gram Buzzz today in Elite X plastic. Can't wait to try it out this weekend. I was looking at the Comets as well, but they were all a tad heavier than I was looking for.

Thanks again for the input.

If it helps any, I can tell you my limited newbie experience (started end of April this year).

I started with DX Rocs, wanted to move up to better plastic. I didn't care for the bead or dome of my Rocs, so I decided to try out a Z Buzzz and Z Wasp. Both, for me, fly very similar, with a tad more fade on the Wasp. A couple days ago I picked up a Z Comet and...man, I now fully understand the notion of understable/stable/overstable. If I throw the Comet, Buzzz and Wasp back to back, in general, the Comet (predictably) turns over, the Buzzz goes straight, the Wasp goes straight with more fade at the end than the Buzzz. I'm actually having a hard time getting the Comet to turn over and then fade at the end.

I kind of love it so far. I've always understood the mechanics and physics of stability ratings, but I've only just now seen it in action with the discs I throw, with reproducible results. I highly advise you, as a fellow new player, to pick up one of each mid (understable, stable, overstable) and see how they truly do have their own flight characteristics.

If I could only play one midrange, it would be the comet. It's the most versatile disc out there.

If it helps any, I can tell you my limited newbie experience (started end of April this year).

I started with DX Rocs, wanted to move up to better plastic. I didn't care for the bead or dome of my Rocs, so I decided to try out a Z Buzzz and Z Wasp. Both, for me, fly very similar, with a tad more fade on the Wasp. A couple days ago I picked up a Z Comet and...man, I now fully understand the notion of understable/stable/overstable. If I throw the Comet, Buzzz and Wasp back to back, in general, the Comet (predictably) turns over, the Buzzz goes straight, the Wasp goes straight with more fade at the end than the Buzzz. I'm actually having a hard time getting the Comet to turn over and then fade at the end.

I kind of love it so far. I've always understood the mechanics and physics of stability ratings, but I've only just now seen it in action with the discs I throw, with reproducible results. I highly advise you, as a fellow new player, to pick up one of each mid (understable, stable, overstable) and see how they truly do have their own flight characteristics.
I carry the 3 pack of a wasp, buzzz, glide.

Both. Comets are extremely versatile. You can throw them every way possible and hit any line, and it holds that line. Also, comets require no effort and still glide forever, which makes them a great upshot disc as well as a mid. I used to use a Z challenger and classic roc for my upshots, but instead of carrying the two extra discs, I just use a comet now because it still flies striaght when thrown softly. Buzzz's are great for straight shots with minimum fade and a little stronger in a headwind, a comet is nearly useless in a headwind. I carry 2 of each at all times.

Yeah, get both. I carry both molds, it really depends on the wind as to which one I'll throw. There was a wind advisory last weekend while I was playing. My Z Buzzz performed admirably. Once you get those down, get a Meteor. You should be able to throw one of those pretty far with a slight tailwind. I never did like the Wasp, the bead just didn't feel comfortable in my hand.

If depends on your preferences. The Buzzz is very smooth and fast for a midrange. I personally carry a Buzzz and Buzzz SS and love em. The Buzzz SS is great for tight lanes, where the Buzzz is great for for hyzers if needed. However, the biggest difference between the Buzzz and Comet is whether or not you like a beaded disc. Being that the Buzzz is beadless, I prefer it as it feels smoother leaving my hand.

X-COMET

*throws down microphone*

*walks off stage*

^ love the Comet in X plastic. :thmbup:

I have a Comets in X and Z, and Buzzzes in ESP and Glo-Z, and lately my X Comet has been seeing a lot more action than the other discs I menetioned. Comet can go nice and straight with little fade when not thrown too hard. Turns over very nicely with a bit of zip on it.... and they have loads of glide, which makes them nice discs for powered down shots.

That being said, The Comet is not what I would call a not a forgiving mold: they respond quite well to a smooth, controlled release, but throw them with OAT or try to overpower them and they just crash and burn. Some people think Comets are "temperamental" for that reason. I felt that way... at first, but they simply reveal form flaws well, and as I became more consistent, I liked my Comet more and more. In that vain, I would say the Buzzz is certainly a more accommodating mold (i.e forgiving of form flaws) because it's easier to throw with good/consistent results.

comet i guess.

depends on bag and what else is in the bag. if you throw glides already then you dont' need it get a buzzz. you can't go wrong...try picking up both.

Well, interesting to see this thread again. I've spent a lot of time with the Buzzz since October, and I do like this disc a lot. The only thing I don't like sometimes is the fade, especially on tunnel shots. But for hyzers and such, I love the predictability and the hand feel of the Buzzz. My Sharks are beaten to instability, so it's been my only mid for a while. I have a Warship I'm waiting to try, which I've seen compared to a Comet in terms of glide. Still, Comet sounds worth a try, just for the experience.