• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Buzzz or Comet for an intermediate player?

I agree with the poster above. For the distances that you're throwing, a Buzzz will probably fly pretty overstabilish for you(meaning a hard fade at the end of it's flight). I would go with the Comet or Meteor initially, or even a Mako or another Shark in premium plastic(champ or star). Once you are able to get those out to 270'+, you can get in on some Buzzz action. Once you have the arm/technique, the Buzzz is the BEST mid out there, period. Well that and the flat topped Roc!

Last edited:
Buzzz i would highly recomend. The comet is a VERY touchy line/ulti disc. Noods dont have a good understanding of how discs fly and lines are yet. Yes both are great discs tho.

If you're throwing your Shark 200' (kudos to you for being honest on the internet about your distance), I would recommend a Magnet, Mercy, or Pure. Don't underestimate the distance potential of a putter.

I would also say buy a Comet for work in the field so you can keep your form clean while improving your distance.

Last edited:
For the distances that you're throwing, a Buzzz will probably fly pretty overstabilish for you(meaning a hard fade at the end of it's flight). I would go with the Comet or Meteor initially . . .

So if the Buzzz will not fly straight for the OP - you recommend the Comet??? :gross: It would make more sense to recommend the Buzzz SS then they can move to the regular Buzzz as distance increases. Not saying the comet is a bad disc in the hands of a person with good form, just don't want the OP doing this :wall: while trying to enjoy DG.

Repeat - Practice form with Comet - play with Buzzz.

I just want to add that, as a newbie who has chosen the Comet as my central midrange, I don't think the disc is unworkably touchy: it definitely takes some getting used to, but if anything, it's probably an easier disc to learn as a newb than after playing for a year or two and establishing flawed technique. Although in the interest of full disclosure, I've only worked with Z Comets, which have the reputation of being slightly more forgiving.

I've fallen in love with the Comet. It does well at lower speeds, meaning both that you can use it at a variety of ranges, and you'll get the most bang for your buck when you do drive with it - I can hit 250'+ with mine pretty regularly, and I don't exactly have a cannon arm (often times, in field work, my Comets will match or exceed my drivers, which I'm still learning the proper technique for). So I actually find it to be very beginner friendly, in that it maximizes your distance and it is very versatile. It also makes turnover shots, which I'm finding to be some of the most technically challenging shots for BH, relatively easy.

I've heard great things about the Buzzz too, of course, especially how forgiving it is, but I just wanted to say that in my experience, there's no reason to fear a Comet's "touchiness" - it's been a great disc to start off with for me.

Edit to add: Of course, with all the varied responses, it looks like you're just going to have to make up your own mind where you want to start!

Last edited:
Get both, I have both. They have totally different purposes for me. Buzzz=Lowline, torque it mid. Comet=Airspace finesse mid. Both can do anything but they do certain things better then the other. In the long run, the Comet is a further flying disc and will make you work on having clean smooth form.

So if the Buzzz will not fly straight for the OP - you recommend the Comet??? :gross: It would make more sense to recommend the Buzzz SS then they can move to the regular Buzzz as distance increases. Not saying the comet is a bad disc in the hands of a person with good form, just don't want the OP doing this :wall: while trying to enjoy DG.

Repeat - Practice form with Comet - play with Buzzz.

At 200', neither the Buzzz nor the Buzzz SS will fly like they should. While I agree with you that the Comet is frustrating, once it clicks, it's a really fun disc to throw. What's a week (if that) of frustration for immediate improvement (and enjoyment) across all his discs when his distance and accuracy start growing thanks to better form?

I carry both. Buzz has more speed and stability. Comet has more glide and I find it easier to make it do what I want. If you've played ultimate, the comet is about as close to an ultrastar as I've found so far.

Repeating other responses - get both: practice with the Comet, throw the Buzzz till you've mastered the Comet. Field work with the Comet will help the rest of your game as well even if you decide to stick with the Buzzz.

Thanks for your responses.

This sounds like the plan: play the Buzz now. Practice with the Comet.

Is heavy better with mid range discs, say anything over 170?

Comet. This disc has saved me more pars than I can count. It's the perfect finesse disc for getting out of trouble.

Heavier weights are (in general) more stable. I usually stick with the high 160s for all my disc except putters (175) and a 150 stingray for heavy turns. Just to be consistent.

Glow buzzz around 170-172g. Lighter weights are easier for beginners to get up to speed and glow golf is the best way to learn line shaping. Playing in the dark makes it easier to visualize the line and ignore the trees.

I just want to add that, as a newbie who has chosen the Comet as my central midrange, I don't think the disc is unworkably touchy: it definitely takes some getting used to, but if anything, it's probably an easier disc to learn as a newb than after playing for a year or two and establishing flawed technique. Although in the interest of full disclosure, I've only worked with Z Comets, which have the reputation of being slightly more forgiving.

I've fallen in love with the Comet. It does well at lower speeds, meaning both that you can use it at a variety of ranges, and you'll get the most bang for your buck when you do drive with it - I can hit 250'+ with mine pretty regularly, and I don't exactly have a cannon arm (often times, in field work, my Comets will match or exceed my drivers, which I'm still learning the proper technique for). So I actually find it to be very beginner friendly, in that it maximizes your distance and it is very versatile. It also makes turnover shots, which I'm finding to be some of the most technically challenging shots for BH, relatively easy.

I've heard great things about the Buzzz too, of course, especially how forgiving it is, but I just wanted to say that in my experience, there's no reason to fear a Comet's "touchiness" - it's been a great disc to start off with for me.

Edit to add: Of course, with all the varied responses, it looks like you're just going to have to make up your own mind where you want to start!

Nice post and a well picked, simple bag aswell.

Buzzzes are good, but so are comets. Comets will show your flaws a lot, I'm still working on mine. It's the better choice of disc if you are looking to improve. If you want something a little easier to throw, I'd go with buzzzes. If you want something even easier that you can put power on, I'd go with a wasp. It's a little bit overstable, but it's not too bad.

Much obliged, craftsman. I just wanted to weigh in because I've read a lot about the Comet being so unforgiving, and my own experience hasn't quite corresponded with that. Again, I think it's probably an easier disc to figure out from the get-go, rather than establishing habits and then trying to change those to work with a Comet.