• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Caiman

Doesn't the rat have a 1.1 cm rim? How does that have more distance potential than a Gator? Just the stability?

I wouldn't expect a rat to keep up with my Colts much less my Rocs.

The Rat may not be long enough, then. So my next suggestions are the Commander (speed 5) and the Ram, speed 6, overstable, and an oldie brought back from the dead.

I'm not sure which is longer between the Caiman and the Gator/3...

Gator and Caiman fly similar distances for me. Caiman maybe a tick longer only because it will turn over / flex a little more than a Gator. But they are really, really close. Both significantly shorter than a Roc.

Gator and Caiman fly similar distances for me. Caiman maybe a tick longer only because it will turn over / flex a little more than a Gator. But they are really, really close. Both significantly shorter than a Roc.

Does the Gator3 add any distance? Or do I just need another viper.

Quick question: I want an OS compliment to my Rocs but gators were always a hair too short for the job. Would a Caiman or a Gator3 be better at the OS Roc spot? Or are they still not a great fit?

(I hate the roc3x btw)

The most obvious answer to your question is the Millennium Taurus. More overstable than that, and the only molds left are beaded Gator variations.

I'm excited to see the things that Sexton will do with this disc.

Would also love to see what Ricky could do with it. Have to imagine he's at least tested it out while figuring out his new Innova bag.

If Jerm's name wasn't already on the Mortar, this sounds like a disc that he'd like, too.

I'm excited to see the things that Sexton will do with this disc.

Would also love to see what Ricky could do with it. Have to imagine he's at least tested it out while figuring out his new Innova bag.

If Jerm's name wasn't already on the Mortar, this sounds like a disc that he'd like, too.

Yeah the Mortar and Caiman are very similar disc imo. Both low profile os mids that pretty much cover the same shots. I've in the past used both. I liked the Caiman slightly better because I could get a bit more distance out of it.

I also feel Caiman is bit longer than Gators, Gator3s and Mortars. Last season I bagged all four, cause could'nt decide which is best for me.

Years I've bag FAF Gator, but now I'm probably go with Mortar or Caiman because of no bead and therefore easier release.

Difference between Recon Mortar and Star Caiman aint big. Caiman is a tiny bit faster and with slightly harder fade.

For me shortest to longest:
FAF Champ Gator
Champ Gator3
Recon Mortar
Star Caiman

The Rat may not be long enough, then. So my next suggestions are the Commander (speed 5) and the Ram, speed 6, overstable, and an oldie brought back from the dead.

I'm not sure which is longer between the Caiman and the Gator/3...

The Commander is such an odd disc one has to find a fit for the odd flight path for the disc to work in anybody's game. I have thrown one once, it flew bad and to reviews it still does.

I guess, but beads ain't great for FH. Doesn't mean people don't throw them but they don't feel right. Zone is the gold standard for FH approach. Not even close.

While I'd rather forehand a Buzzz than a Roc, a Gator gives me zero problems. Their head is no more noticeable to me than the micro-bead on a Harp. And a Gator has much more resistance to turn than a Zone. And still works just as well on my backhand. And does thumbers better. So, for me, the Gator beats the **** out of the Zone. Not even close.

While I'd rather forehand a Buzzz than a Roc, a Gator gives me zero problems. Their head is no more noticeable to me than the micro-bead on a Harp. And a Gator has much more resistance to turn than a Zone. And still works just as well on my backhand. And does thumbers better. So, for me, the Gator beats the **** out of the Zone. Not even close.

Neat!

Yeah I can't use a ROC due to the size of bead but a Wasp with more near regular sized bead I can use though not in Z as then the disc is too OS. I could use a Gator for a disc too without the bead being a problem because the bead on a ROC is the Big Bead unlike a Gator that has more a normal bead or better placement of the Big Bead. Only place I would really want a Big Bead is on a putter if I was not using a Magnet or similar concave rim/wing putter or on putter like midrange, as a big bead on a more driver like midrange is odd to me.

Yeah I can't use a ROC due to the size of bead but a Wasp with more near regular sized bead I can use though not in Z as then the disc is too OS. I could use a Gator for a disc too without the bead being a problem because the bead on a ROC is the Big Bead unlike a Gator that has more a normal bead or better placement of the Big Bead. Only place I would really want a Big Bead is on a putter if I was not using a Magnet or similar concave rim/wing putter or on putter like midrange, as a big bead on a more driver like midrange is odd to me.

That's funny, comparing a Roc and a Wasp side by side gave me the impression that the wasp bead is even beefier. Same with the Gator, although I think I've since gotten rid of mine to compare.

That's funny, comparing a Roc and a Wasp side by side gave me the impression that the wasp bead is even beefier. Same with the Gator, although I think I've since gotten rid of mine to compare.

Then it is placement of Bead on a ROC, that is not as well done as a Wasp and has almost a bead on the other side of the rim near nose. Really about the only non putter and putter like midrange disc I can use with a big bead is the Wombat, Skeeter is a putter like disc as is the Gator, and Spider. All these discs have either a big bead or an odd placed bead like the Spider yet I can use those disc because they have a putter like shape just more shallow to midrange height. I do not really like the flight of the Skeeter as it has too much putter float for such a fast disc. The Gator is better used as an approach disc, a driving putter slot if one finds a true putter too slow to drive with, and a windy day putter. I already have that disc a putter float midrange for approach shots, driving putter slot, and windy day putter. The midrange I like Shark for this slot has the closest rim to that of my putter mold the Magnet and I use the faster version the 3 top for a true midrange slot as well as a hair less OS version of the same disc.

I am really liking the Caiman lately, it is giving my Gator a real run for its money. Flight is extremely similar, pretty much no difference on touchy approach shots. But on full-power forehand throws I think I'm getting a more consistent release from the low profile.

I'm a little surprised this disc doesn't get more praise. It's the closest thing Innova has to the Zone that I've seen. They are really close. Caiman is a tiny bit shallower. Maybe this part of the market is just too saturated with good options for anything to really stick out anymore.

How is this compared to the Justice? That's the most OS disc I threw.....and I own a Stego.

Is it just like a disc between a gator and justice?

How is this compared to the Justice? That's the most OS disc I threw.....and I own a Stego.

Is it just like a disc between a gator and justice?

The Justice is far more overstable but also has more glide. I needed something to fill the gap between the Verdict, which is really just a short stable fairway driver, and the Justice. I gave the Caiman a try. While not as overstable as the Justice, the Caiman still has too much early stability which just dumps it early because of its lack of glide. I ended up dumping the Caiman and went with a 1.5 Mortar. They are straighter longer with a touch more glide. That was near the shot I was looking for. I now have seller's remorse for letting go of all my 1.3 Mortars last year.

Almost bought one with my prize winnings on a tourney and the Rat. The Justice yesterday was too perfect for me to go with something else. I love that disc for getting out of trouble and the heaviest to slight winds/downhill approaches.