• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Coast Disc Golf's Paul McBeth Video "Ask Me Anything"

Changing the most expensive piece of the sport seems like the worst possible solution. Perhaps a better solution would be to limit the disc speed rating allowed to be thrown by pros in events. Similar to ball golf where your average Joe Shmoe can buy the big bertha 5000x but it is an illegal driver in PGA events.

Actually all they would need is 18 baskets trailered around the Country for the NT's and Majors. After the tourney they could be changed back. Courses may want to adopt the tougher basket for true Championship level toughness. Not many will nor have to.

Your limit on speed doesn't change the fact that putting is very easy.

Actually all they would need is 18 baskets trailered around the Country for the NT's and Majors. After the tourney they could be changed back. Courses may want to adopt the tougher basket for true Championship level toughness. Not many will nor have to.

The only problem is, who is trailering this stuff around? You'd probably need more than one setup, due to the fact that PDGA NT and Major calendar isn't exactly set up in a streamlined fashion every season.

Great interview, and a nice discussion here. Learning a lot about the issues the Pros have.

I'd never want my beloved wooded courses here in the Santa Cruz area (esp. Delaveaga) to have thousands of spectators tromping around. It just wouldn't be possible anyway. But I do think it would be great for there to be a handful of Pro level courses with fees, maintenance and a better design for spectators to help grow the Pro sport. I hope it pans out for guys like Paul.

Smaller targets? It is hard enough for me as it is, but I can see that helping the issue of wanting it to be harder without having to make super long, open, spectator-friendly courses for Pros.

Last edited:

But than you are setting up a different target that casual players can't relate to because they don't play on the same style of baskets. It just seems like a lot of confusion and work when the PDGA can simply alter the allowable disc rules. I think everyone can relate to a pro throwing a Buzzz 400 feet much more than putting on a different basket they themselves have never used.

But than you are setting up a different target that casual players can't relate to because they don't play on the same style of baskets. It just seems like a lot of confusion and work when the PDGA can simply alter the allowable disc rules. I think everyone can relate to a pro throwing a Buzzz 400 feet much more than putting on a different basket they themselves have never used.

Meh, it's a basket, hit the pole. Where's McBeth to back up his words?

I just thought of a problem, events where multiple courses are used, need two sets of pro baskets. Which company wants their name on the basket can donate them and cover transportation. Cost covered. Check.

Rounds thrown on a course with significantly modified baskets would need to be rated separately. Those playing those courses would have another rating separate from their ratings on current basket courses.

Nice interview - but please choose another location with better light and less wind next time ;)

Agreed. I thought this was cool. The more you get to really know these top pros, the more interesting it is to watch tournament footage.

This is random, but I would love to see a standard graphic on tournament video for the NT's and majors showing what disc each player is throwing. For ex: When Paul is teeing off a 500ft hole it would say Paul McBeth - Star Destroyer. Just makes it more interesting to know what each player is throwing and helps them market their brands more.

Agreed. I thought this was cool. The more you get to really know these top pros, the more interesting it is to watch tournament footage.

This is random, but I would love to see a standard graphic on tournament video for the NT's and majors showing what disc each player is throwing. For ex: When Paul is teeing off a 500ft hole it would say Paul McBeth - Star Destroyer. Just makes it more interesting to know what each player is throwing and helps them market their brands more.

1000% agreed. I wonder if it's a case of truly not knowing what they are throwing each time, or simply having enough resources. In addition to toting around the cameras, you'd have to have someone keeping notes of that kind of stuff, too. Takes a larger staff, and these guys aren't exactly getting paid.

Not necessarily true. If pros could only throw mids and putters on holes they normally throw destroyers. The drive that would have ended within 30-40 feet of the basket with a destroyer certainly won't with a buzz. The pro that consistently bangs in 100 footers becomes the dominant player.

I don't really have any thoughts on this either way. I'm just saying.

All I care about if I watch at all is the player throws a color that can be seen in the video. Absolutely no interest in what disc a player throws for any shot. Even if you know the disc model and even weight, you don't know how beat up it is, the plastic, the run, the domeyness, and only approximately what release and angle it was thrown. If a player parks a Roc off the tee on a 375 ft hole, I'm not getting there with a Roc no matter how much I practice.

However, if it's shown that providing that kind of info draws or helps retain spectators, then the media should try to provide it.

Two things: Yup ****ed up on the background choice. We were in a bit of a time crunch, and I choked. My bad. The wind, not really sure what I'm supposed to do about that. We were outside, there was no inside available.

On the disc info thing: If you watch the videos Ben Baker edits for us, you'll see he does exactly that. I used to do it on the videos I edited. I don't have everyone do it as it's REALLY time consuming, and honestly some pros don't get back to us. I do try to list the discs they're throwing in the commentary if I know what it is.

If it seems like I do it for some players and not others, you'll know which ones actually get back to us :)

Shoutout to McBeth, Paige Pierce, Shasta, McBride, Max Nichols, JB, and others I'm forgetting for being awesome about getting us disc info.

Not sure why some pros just ignore me. Seems like a great free marketing opportunity for them and their disc sponsor.

I'm down for any challenge. Make those targets tougher, make the holes longer and tighter! Add water and OB! Bring it!

Not sure why some pros just ignore me. Seems like a great free marketing opportunity for them and their disc sponsor.

Yeah... :thmbdown:

you-are-so-dumb-o.gif

Keep up the GREAT work meng!!!!! :clap:

Ah, yes. Good one.
And wood bats in baseball. (Not sure if collegiate ball went to wood or is still metal?)

MLB is more likely to go metal than NCAA to wooden. Wood has shards when broken. Metal can be reduced to the "pop" of wood bats. Or even lower, if we wanted.

Not necessarily true. If pros could only throw mids and putters on holes they normally throw destroyers. The drive that would have ended within 30-40 feet of the basket with a destroyer certainly won't with a buzz. The pro that consistently bangs in 100 footers becomes the dominant player.

I don't really have any thoughts on this either way. I'm just saying.

How far away everyone is doesn't change putting. You'll just end up with different length holes being the "good" holes.

I wouldn't mind seeing more hazards closer to the baskets. Making it hard to have a window to putt through if you missed the ideal landing location.

Latest posts