• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ChUcK's latest dye...

elnino said:
would love to have the artwork files
hmm, let me know which ones you want and I'll try to get them to you. Lots of my stuff is put together on paper, but if there is an image file you want that I actually have, no sweat. Let me know specifically which ones.

elnino said:
I also thought maybe you could do a USA soccer one too...since the forwards are called strikers...maybe just take the USA flag patch from the uniforms and do a black outline around striker again...anyhow that was my idea just a huge fan of the striker and of your dyes...
Aw man, you should have told me last week when I was doing the Iron Dye-a-thon. Hit me up in four years and we'll get R done.

elnino said:
basically i'm a noobie and need to figure out how to do this stuff before i design my own stuff!

I recommend reading all the tutorials again, on as many different sites as you can find, and then PM me with specific questions and we'll get you set up in no time and with very little cash. As it turns out, dyeing discs doesn't require very much fancy stuff- the only gear that I would consider absolutely essential to this hobby can be assembled on the cheap.

Here's another lame attempt to harness cold fusion. I still can't get the effect quite right to make it look like the light source is inside the ball. I'll keep trying though, so prepare to be bored with basically the same dye a few more times. :?

P1015220.jpg

Perhaps try to show that the light is emulating out from within the ball- so have light bursts coming out between the blue parts of the ball.

If that makes sense.

Envision if you put your hand over a light bulb, how the light escapes around your fingers and sort of makes the edges of your fingers glow/have a soft boundary and you sort of see a "sun burst" coming out from around your fingers.

[edit]: much easier said than done, of course :? It's a good attempt thus far, though!

Here's one ChUcK did for me for the "give me a phrase" dye a thon. This one is entitled "(That shot gave me a) Disc Golf Boner"

P1015236.jpg

Chuck's in Iceland ATM. Rest assured, I've been giving him guilt trips about unfinished dye jobs. He in turn, continues to assure me that he'll get them done. For those that are getting impatient, I have his email address, phone number, AND home address for the right "incentive." I'm a loyal friend, but as "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase pointed out "every man has his price." ;)

I'm not back. I couldn't be further away, in fact. I just wanted Dave to know that a little piece of me died last night when I saw that wraith on eBay.

Later DGR, you guys rocked.

I didn't ebay it! I had to sell off some plastic and the guy who bought the lot of discs did.

Dave, I know you didn't eBay the disc. Look, it really doesn't matter. That wraith was yours to do what you liked with it. It was not the gift, the dye process combined with the initial opening of the USPS envelope was. Anything after that and it's a blurry oblivion. I'm not mad, Dave. I just overreact sometimes :oops: and I'm sorry I posted all angry and such. You and I both received our enjoyment from that dye, and now it really is just a wraith.

This is what most people don't understand about dyed discs. The tatted plastic is not the art, if there is even any to be had. The art of a dyed disc is the fleeting moment of completion, when it looks as fantastic as it ever will. If the owner of the disc gets to see the dye before too long, then the look on their face upon first viewing is a bonus bit of art. I feel almost selfish at times, knowing that I'm the only person who ever truly benefits from the process.

Disc dyeing does not produce any sort of lasting artistic value. It fades into effectively nothing just as fast as a sculpture by Andy Goldsworthy might. You can take a picture of the fresh dye but photographs are like cheap reprints, the best you can get if you weren't there for the real deal.

So to anyone who takes part in this fabulous hobby, remember to make each and every dye as extraordinary as possible, because if you're just churning out crap that has no personal significance to either party then you're wasting your time, not to mention removing one more good canvas from my selection pool!

ChUcK said:
Dave, I know you didn't eBay the disc. Look, it really doesn't matter. That wraith was yours to do what you liked with it. It was not the gift, the dye process combined with the initial opening of the USPS envelope was. Anything after that and it's a blurry oblivion. I'm not mad, Dave. I just overreact sometimes :oops: and I'm sorry I posted all angry and such. You and I both received our enjoyment from that dye, and now it really is just a wraith.

This is what most people don't understand about dyed discs. The tatted plastic is not the art, if there is even any to be had. The art of a dyed disc is the fleeting moment of completion, when it looks as fantastic as it ever will. If the owner of the disc gets to see the dye before too long, then the look on their face upon first viewing is a bonus bit of art. I feel almost selfish at times, knowing that I'm the only person who ever truly benefits from the process.

Disc dyeing does not produce any sort of lasting artistic value. It fades into effectively nothing just as fast as a sculpture by Andy Goldsworthy might. You can take a picture of the fresh dye but photographs are like cheap reprints, the best you can get if you weren't there for the real deal.

So to anyone who takes part in this fabulous hobby, remember to make each and every dye as extraordinary as possible, because if you're just churning out crap that has no personal significance to either party then you're wasting your time, not to mention removing one more good canvas from my selection pool!

Post of the Year? gets my vote!

keltik said:
ChUcK said:

Post of the Year? gets my vote!

Second.

Well said Chuck.