• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ChUcK's latest dye...

Nah, this is just one of many to sport that image. That's the first time I ever noticed the pun, though.

Hang on, I'm confused. How did you get the solid white on it when the disc was completely covered with brushed dye in the progress pic.

Ahhh i see it now. Obvious now that I'm lookin for it.
I used some clear vinyl a little a while back. Ordered a huge roll of it hoping to wrap parts of the front end of my car with it but it turns out I need the super thick 3M stuff.

Here's another fun variation of that geometric pattern. This one is six peaks inside a hexagon overlapping each other.

P1015137.jpg

This was on a white Z Drone for ...tim? and it was a beeyotch to weed all those damn little squares. This will probably be the second-to-last time I use them. I just need to do one on the inner wing of a destroyer before calling it quits on the lsd checkerboard. I'm most excited about the brush stroke patterns and fading effects in the middle, which seems to be one of the main strengths of this dye application technique. I really think it will have some useful and interesting consequences with full-color dyes with lots of fades.
P1015140.jpg

Interestingly, the squares were leaving some adhesive goober on the disc as I weeded it, and the laundry soap seems to eat right through that and dye the disc underneath anyways. For any multicolor dyers, you may also know the frustrations of intermediate-stage weeding instances when your vinyl takes an adhesive number two on your friend's plastic, blocking further dye unless evasive actions are carried out. This could be very important, and will need some further testing with crap vinyl.

Frank, sorry I never got around to actually placing a Furioso on your PD, but there always seemed to be another color to add first, and I ran out of room!
P1015147.jpg

P1015148.jpg

P1015151.jpg

Leave the Deliciousness alone! :D

So totally SICK! The detail, the color blending and shading, marvelous!

I've been trying my hand at brushwork and blending, but all I've managed to do is ruin good plastic. I'd say live-&-learn, but I haven't LEARNED anything yet! (other than what not to do) I just can't get the color to take. It looks great sitting on the disc for a few days, but doesn't soak into the plastic well enough, just a slight fade of color.

Keep 'em coming, these are beautiful!

Nah, but I can refer you to many skilled dyers- everyone else on these pages!

ChUcK said:
Interestingly, the squares were leaving some adhesive goober on the disc as I weeded it, and the laundry soap seems to eat right through that and dye the disc underneath anyways. For any multicolor dyers, you may also know the frustrations of intermediate-stage weeding instances when your vinyl takes an adhesive number two on your friend's plastic, blocking further dye unless evasive actions are carried out. This could be very important, and will need some further testing with crap vinyl.

Is there anyway this can be avoided? I've been having the same trouble with mine, I ordered some of that Oracle 651 vinyl which is pretty decent stuff. It always seems to leave adhesive right under the "peeling point" of the vinyl. I'm very leery about using an adhesive remover to clean the excess goo from the weeding process since it could loosen the contact of the vinyl and allow bleeding.

I've been experimenting with cooling down the disc before weeding and unwrapping at different temps to hopefully find a preventative step to eliminate the hassle of using goo gone and a buncha Q-tips :twisted: before dipping!!! Results to come!

What kind of vinyl are you using ChUcK :?:

I'm using Oracal 641 clear vinyl.

Here's an Excalibur Xcaliber I designed for a buddy of mine who is into dyes-
P1015154.jpg

Only he who pulls this disc out of a Carolina shall be named King...
P1015168.jpg

If only every course had a Lady of the Lake to hand back your Xcal whenever you cast it into the watery depths...
P1015166.jpg

Fun, huh? :D

And, because I am an impatient bastard, I took a mid-process pic of ...tim?'s star Orc. There is still a lot of black highlights (lowlights?) to be added later. I'm sure you can guess what it is...
P1015159.jpg

"Who is Sauron"? from lord of the rings? Final answer.. :idea:

I was waiting for someone to do a sword dye on an Xcal! I really dig the angle you have the sword set at. I think the idea behind a dye is as important as the skill to cut it out. Keep'em comin ChUcK :mrgreen:

You got it 8)
P1015176.jpg

This is a 64-point compass rose, and was quite the hassle to design/cut/weed, but was fun anyways. Interestingly, the way I have it drawn, the needle points of the triangles create a checkerboard-ish pattern, where no color shares a border with a triangle of like color.

Im definitely diggin the brush stuff lately. After doing my Red/orange phoenix on that lightning disc, I've been wanting to do another blended red/fire dye again. Shit's wicked

ChUcK said:
You got it 8)
P1015176.jpg

This is a 64-point compass rose, and was quite the hassle to design/cut/weed, but was fun anyways. Interestingly, the way I have it drawn, the needle points of the triangles create a checkerboard-ish pattern, where no color shares a border with a triangle of like color.

This is sick!!!