• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ChUcK's latest dye...

I was going for the optical illusion effect on this disc too. All of the lines on the border are perfectly straight. Cut with a ruler. Unfortunately the bleeding takes away from the look. Still works. but not as well. And not as cool.
2dvvor5.jpg

Really like yours Chuck. Can't believe you can get all the way to the edge like that so cleanly.

so Chuck would you be able to put a Manchester United crest on a yellow SOLF?
4464246754_265a240a44_o.jpg

probably not the hardest or nicest you would ever have to do
but I'm wondering if you'd be able to do that for me

ManU said:

I"m sure it could be done. I know a few disc dyeing Canucks that might not be wancs...

ManU said:
4464246754_265a240a44_o.jpg

probably not the hardest or nicest you would ever have to do
but I'm wondering if you'd be able to do that for me

~just curious on roughly how much you'd charge to do a custom job like this 2 stage dye? do you have a set amount for each additional color you have to dye?

depending on your answer to Luv2Discs question on price Chuck
I'd be interested in sending you my disc to have this done
or you can pm me with what you would charge for this work
thanks

Been screwing around with my 3D dyes this week, trying some stuff I haven't tried yet. These both are technically "failures" due to some small errors, but they still look pretty sweet despite the F-ups.

This first one, I tried to fade the inner surfaces down and the outer shell surfaces up, thereby creating a lighting source. The lightest shade needed about 20 seconds more, whoops. Also, the vinyl I used is some ancient stuff we found rolling around on the floor of ...Tim?'s place last week. It is cheap, brittle, cuts like a bastard, and leaves GOO on the disc, particularly where I removed the stamp. You can see the places where goo was left as I weeded more and more vinyl. It masks the dye while absorbing some itself, so when you first pull it out of the pan the disc looks great. After a little Goo-Gone the bald spots appear like magic. I'm not talking about David Copperfield type stuff, I mean the crappy sort of magic you find in bad neighborhoods, like "and now I make your wallet disappear", sort of thing.
P1015063.jpg

This second one was an attempt to place an empty beach ball inside a larger one, but I got confused mid-process and removed some vinyl a bit too early, some vinyl a bit too late. The drafting and cutting process was a nightmare. I can't figure out how to get two spheres inside one another at different angles on Mathematica, so I just had two full printouts of spheres layered with the vinyl atop that. Deciphering which lines needed to be cut was mind-boggling when confronted by that spaghetti mess of lines. You can see the two points on the small sphere where I took the vinyl off a bit early, ruining the 3D effect at that spot. Still, the Denim Blue mixed with the pink/purple plastic followed by some light Scarlet for the inner sphere turned out pretty.
P1015062.jpg

Now that I have that all sorted out and my lessons learned, I'm ready to rock the house with the next attempt. I plan to install this smaller ring
smallemptydonut.jpg

inside this larger ring
bigemptydonut.jpg

and it should look fairly dope. The drafting was all done pre-vinyl so I had a chance to color-code the different pieces. That should help avoid untimely weeding blunders.

If anyone wants this on their disc, shoot me a PM. All I ask is that you pay shipping both ways and send me a cool patch, preferably from a local club or pro shop. I need a white Star/Goldline/ESP something or other that isn't too domey. The other day I dyed a GlowChampWhippetX and the extreme dome caused the vinyl to wrinkle worse than a pile of wet laundry. It resulted in a bleedbath, to say the least.

no kidding... Those are sick!!!!!

People start thinking they're getting good with their dye jobs then you come by and crush their egos.

That's pretty wicked. I feel your pain about remembering/knowing what needs to get cut, what order it comes off in.
You can lay it out as much as you want but for some reason you always end up peeling the wrong stuff at the wrong times.
Looks awesome tho. I'm diggin the multiple shading. Gives it a lot of complexity that is difficult to reverse engineer

Post 1000, word.
P1015088.jpg

Got a little off-center, but you still can't beat the combination of Rit and Goldline plastic.

Very nice! I'm with you, Goldline is da bomb! I've got 2 (a teal and blue one) that i'm waiting on the right inspiration to dye some new wall art

Idea Stolen! :twisted:

P1015089.jpg

and because I have absolutely no patience whatsoever, I snapped a mid-process pic of some call me ...tim?'s destroyer. He just bought me a roll of 24" CLEAR :shock: vinyl that apparently rocks the house, as evidenced by the experimental dye above.
P1015095.jpg

This one should turn out ok, I hope. Te final coat of laundry soap is out baking in the springtime sun right now. Can you guess what design will be waiting after this mess is all cleaned off?

I"m lovin those spectacular 3d dyes, keep it up I want one
much respect for the time and effort and willingness to point out your flaws, and love the in-process pics too. I spy a tribal sun or something there, let's see!

an eye ball?

Clear vinyl?! omg I want some. Sorry I never got my gray stuff to you ChUck, i'm just retardedly slow these days. I don't think you would have liked it anyway.

No sweat, Jeronimo. This is Oracal 641, and it is really really nice for this painting-type dyeing I'm experimenting with right now.

Tito is right, there was a Furioso hiding under there. Funnily enough, it's actually not a tribal sun but a tribal... er... um, well, a butthole, ok? Private joke from a Vonnegut novel, pretty silly really.

P1015101.jpg

P1015096.jpg

This is ...tim's destroyer. I'm pretty stoked on the way it turned out. I painted all of the flight plate this morning, and it sat in the sulight all day until 8:20, when I finally couldn't stand it anymore and needed to wash it off to have a look-see. Our sun sets at 8:40 right now, so this disc pretty much caught every available ray this fine sunny day in May. Sun-kissed, as it were. The rim still has wet dye on it, and the final product should look cool with such extensive dye coverage.