• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ChUcK's latest dye...

ChUcK said:
Here's an afternoon spent experimenting with multiple layers and laundry soap-
P1014967.jpg

P1014968.jpg
I really like this. Good work!

I actually tried to do the same thing a while ago with a Wolverine. I learned very quickly that you need to fight the urge to leave the first few sections in the dye too long. They will get black enough as you progress.

IMG_2202.jpg

Oooh, x3!

Yeah, I set the groundrules for myself early, because I've tried and failed enough times with "timed-dip shading" that I knew the dark would take care of itself. I had a digi timer with a standing 45 sec program, and the noise this thing makes is so annoying you can't help but get the disc out of the pan so you can shut the timer up.

You mind if I try one just like yours one of these days? My curiosity hasn't been quenched yet, just sidetracked.

ChUcK said:
Oooh, x3!

Yeah, I set the groundrules for myself early, because I've tried and failed enough times with "timed-dip shading" that I knew the dark would take care of itself. I had a digi timer with a standing 45 sec program, and the noise this thing makes is so annoying you can't help but get the disc out of the pan so you can shut the timer up.

You mind if I try one just like yours one of these days? My curiosity hasn't been quenched yet, just sidetracked.

Of course not! Have at it bud, I have no claim over the design. :p

I'll post the timberwolf I did too. Same concept but with a french curve to each shade. Looks nice but I had a couple bubbles (which are a nightmare when doing this) and it made the friggin disc into orange and black camouflage so i'm always scared to throw it.

This one was fun, I used a few techniques that I had never tried before with the masking process. I was giggling like a schoolgirl as the blue progressed, dip by dip.

P1014986.jpg

ChUcK said:
This one was fun, I used a few techniques that I had never tried before with the masking process. I was giggling like a schoolgirl as the blue progressed, dip by dip.

P1014986.jpg

sweet!

i bet some kind of gradation like this would look cool incorporated with the crescent moon on a glow stalker.

Totally sick dyes, all of them, the fades are great.

I've been wanting to do try my hand at this as well, but am limited in the detail/ number of dips as I do not have a plotter. Not so tough for straight lines, but for circles, I think we all know how much of a pain it would be to get that many perfect circles without a plotter.

Now he's gonna tell me he didn't use a plotter.....and I'm going to have to try it til I get it done :p

He didn't use a plotter. I've actually done numerous circles with a Compass and a x-acto knife in it rather than a pencil.

You speak the truth, senor. I draw the lines with a compass, then cut circles until I start to feel queasy :x

Tim said I could probably rig up some sort of Xacto compass, and I don't see why not. I'll look into it in the future.

For now, the key feature is that all the imperfectly hand-cut circles are juxtaposed to the messy randomness of the eaten apple core line, which is bolder as well. This lets the brain relax and just assume the circles are relatively perfect, even though upon close, sober inspection it is clear that they suck, especially the smaller ones. For the larger circles the wrist acts as a great pivot point for the radius of the cut, but the inner ones are too small and get a little wonky in places.

This disc was a particular challenge, namely applying the circles to the disc without either getting blue lines on the apple or really dark circle lines that endured both black and red dips before getting the blue background, all the while trying to not use the Xacto when the vinyl is already applied to the plastic.

In the end I had to perform some mid-dye surgery, but to minimize disc damage I put on a brand new blade for those cuts and used a great new technique previously unknown to me. The sequence of events went as such: cut the apple design out of one vinyl square, apply and dip the black/red parts like usual. Then, leaving the white core covered still, I re-cut the skin pieces from scrap and applied them precisely, so as to re-mask the red. Then I applied an entire new layer of vinyl cut with the concentric circles, over the masked apple parts for a double layer. With the new blade I then traced the apple pieces of vinyl to cut the circles to the exact border of the apple. What was interesting was that the circles-layer of vinyl is layered over the bottom layer's edges with a slight air space beneath, which minimized the danger of scratching/cutting the surface of the plastic. I was just gently dragging the blade over the vinyl, letting the knife's weight apply all the pressure. If you look really carefully at an angle you can see there is about 1 inch total of barely visible scratching around the core of the apple, but nothing serious like some of the butchered discs I've seen.

For everyone who made it through all that, I have a question for you: should we make a sticky thread for the Artwork pages that has a regularly updated 1st post FAQ? Like, people post a dye question to all the dyers here and we all answer, decide upon some reasonable, condensed answer that answers for different dyeing styles, and either edit in a new FAQ or modify an existing one? That might be awesome for people who want to start dyeing, have a lot of questions, and want a condensed page of Q&A&tips they can peruse.

For my circles I used to use the alternate attachment on my tool, and just put an exacto in the place of where a pen would be.
DSC00989.sized.jpg

Im down with a FAQ on stuff chuck. Would be cool to have a summation of all the info on the forums. Also if we could get some exposure on the actual DGR page because not everyone reads thru the forums... Even tho they should :)

Heh, I had to take scraps of vinyl, cut them into strips, and cover all the cuts of a previously-rejected stencil. Then I went back and cut out an empty beach ball through a sea of single and double thickness vinyl, but it came out bleed-free.
P1014999.jpg

The pic doesn't do the disc any justice. The crazy GL plastic behind the dye gives the disc a surreal, starlight mint reflectiveness to the overall image. Here's a shot while in the pan. I was trying out the technique BennettUA mentioned about simply floating the disc plate-up. I put a small suction cup right in the middle for easy dip/removal. You can see the striations in the plastic a little here, but this is a dye that must be enjoyed in the flesh.
P1014989.jpg

Also, I didn't have any cotton balls, but I tried using Qtips and it still scuffed up the disc.

Edit: here's another pic, you can sorta see the plastic's striations...
P1015007.jpg

Thanks guys. I dipped the flight plate twice in Denim Blue rit, and the wing once.

I did this one just for you, luv2disc. It must have been cut by hand, look how crappy and wavy the lines are :shock:
P1015018.jpg

I calculate over 500 individual cuts, all done with the xacto held against a ruler. Every angle formed by any 3 rectangles is precisely 90 degrees.

By the end of the cutting process I felt like my ruler hand might seize up and become permanently deformed. Halfway through, I called up a professional drummer and he came over and took me through some good hand/wrist stretching techniques. Without his help I may never have finished. It is still pretty sore this morning, as a matter of fact.