• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ChUcK's latest dye...

Thanks guys. That Gutterballs disc was fun to design and execute, a surefire sign that the disc will end up sweet. Some dyes are simply not an enjoyable process and the results tend to show there as well.

Cindos said:
Talk about looking crisp!
Yeah, but oh, how they all just blur with age. I was talking to a non-disc golfer the other day about dye problems and he came up with an interesting idea. He wondered if there was some way to develop a dye that would clot like blood when exposed to UV light or something like that. You'd dye the disc, get it all pretty looking, and then somehow get all the dye molecules to bond to all the other dye molecules nearby to prevent the dispersion of the dye through the plastic and keep the dye from blurring with age.

I have a few more striker-literal dyes working, one with a zippo and another with a match, and I have that fist already cut out for various strikers. PM me if you have a striker and want one of these dyes, eh.

some call me...tim? said:
Heh, nice little bit of synchronicity today. I happened to see this picture of the Florida State Capitol building:
capital_2.jpg

Ah yes, our symbol of state pride. :lol:

I don't know what else to say, that Striker is S I C K.

Great clean lines, sharp and professional.

Bravo. Bravo indeed.

Some guy at Terrace Creek was kind enough to give Tim back a disc that was bought from someone who must have wiped off his info pretty well. Even though it was acquired legitimately by the guy, when Tim spotted the disc and was able to prove it was his with my dyes he gave it back. So, I dyed the same design on one of his Pro Starfires for being such a nice guy. Blurry pic, whoops.

P1014862.jpg

P1014865.jpg

fun stuff!

RoomTenONine said:
Chuck: On that starfire, did you just dye over top of the blue foil stamp? Does the rit not take to the foil?

Dye doesnt do anything to the stamp in my experience.

beatz said:
got this in the mail

You have the wrong thread, my friend. That monkey dye isn't really my style.

TenONine, I just dye right over it. The dye and the stamp don't mix at all.

P1014912.jpg

Finally! My buddy gave me this disc a couple months ago for this dye, and I've been aching to see it in person. In hindsight, I should have removed the bits of frame near the bottom, so the "Rollers" part would appear in front, but I thought of it after the vinyl was already on the disc, and the acetone would have ruined the vinyl in those areas. Still, I have to admit that I really enjoy dyeing this style of artwork. I'm calling it Stylized Sailor Jerry, though I bet that's a gross misconception art-wise.

Took the time to do one for myself the other day. This is with laundry detergent and black rit. Not the darkest I've ever dyed a disc, but I only left the mixture on for ~6 hrs. Damn Discraft hotstamp channels let the dye slip by in the ears...

P1014948.jpg

ESP Wasp

I'm diggin the rollers dye. I feel ya on the factory stamp. I've wanted to leave some of the factory stamps on some discs but wasn't sure if the dye would work with em or not.

The elephant is pimp too.

Here's another Eagle-on-Eagle dye, but it's still in progress. Gotta try to add some laundry soap coloring to the white star plastic, see how it turns out. UpFromTheAshes, this one's for you, man. I've got my zip code memorized now, BTW. Oh, and it looks way better when not represented by MacBook Photobooth.

Photo73.jpg

Oh man these are sick. I really wish I could get my hands on one of these.

SnowMongoose said:
Forgive me if I spaced out or missed it, but detergent?
I assume that's not just for the spring fresh smell that lasts and lasts?

Whoops, didn't see your question until now. I've been trying out dissolving powdered RIT in liquid laundry detergent, then brushing the dye on. It has worked ok, but I haven't been able to reproduce the same blackness I can achieve with the hot pan o' black RIT death. This white SEX I have going is my first experiment to combine the two- black dip-dye, and after a couple of days I plan on going back with soap-dye and highlighting a few colors. Or is it coloring a few highlights?

It does smell spring fresh, though, which is sorta pleasant. On the red eagle, I forgot to mention that the person I dyed it for let it sit a day or two, realized the color wasn't going to be dark enough, and emergency-dipped it in black to save the day. We had covered the soapy disc in paper towels for tidiness, but the towel wicked all the soap-dye away from the disc and he nearly ended up with a ghost-eagle dye.

All summer I haven't been able to produce a dye without bleeds here and there. I thought perhaps I was losing my touch until the other day I was surfing the Oracal website and noticed that the vinyl I use has a shelf life of 2 years. My roll, it turns out, was manufactured in March 2005. I suppose its adhesiveness has finally bit the dust. I bought it in summer '07 on clearance, and now I know why it was so cheap- that shit was toast before I ever took an Xacto to it.

Acid, what's the shelf-life on your vinyl? Has that been a problem yet, or do you go through it fast enough so expiration is a non-issue?

Latest posts