• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Climo vs Schultz : Can we set up a winner take all Match ???

scoot_er said:
So Barry spitting on another guys disc is ok? BTW he has done it more than once and I was just calling it like I saw it..

I never said that, but that doesn't change anything about my previous comment. You're showing the same level of sportsmanship as you're claiming he has shown in the past. How can that possibly be OK?

garublador said:
scoot_er said:
So Barry spitting on another guys disc is ok? BTW he has done it more than once and I was just calling it like I saw it..

I never said that, but that doesn't change anything about my previous comment. You're showing the same level of sportsmanship as you're claiming he has shown in the past. How can that possibly be OK?

I am just stating that he is known for being a good guy but lately I have been seeing things to the contrary and I am not the only one. I don't see how my stating he is a crybaby shows that I am unsportsmanlike. I think that TDs and players need to stop giving certain players special priledges and make them play by the same rules as everyone else.

I have never stroked anyone but I almost stroked Barry on two separate occasion and EVERY round I have played with him he has cussed, kicked his bag, and whined like a 3 y/o. To me he is not what we need as a "Poster Boy"

Bradley Walker said:
DG needs a Skins Game.

Money is won one each hole, and the only thing that counts is that hole. Holes can be halved with ties.

This type of format promotes aggressive play.

Instead of halving holes, the money should be pushed to the next hole. I think this would be the way to go, but if you're only doing a one day/one round event, you might as well make it a foursome. Especially, since in the top 10, anyone could beat anyone on a given day. That way, you would probably push a lot more holes, and you could potentially have someone putting for several thousand dollars on a single hole. Also, no one is guaranteed to go home with any money.

scoot_er said:
I am just stating that he is known for being a good guy but lately I have been seeing things to the contrary and I am not the only one. I don't see how my stating he is a crybaby shows that I am unsportsmanlike. I think that TDs and players need to stop giving certain players special priledges and make them play by the same rules as everyone else.

I have never stroked anyone but I almost stroked Barry on two separate occasion and EVERY round I have played with him he has cussed, kicked his bag, and whined like a 3 y/o. To me he is not what we need as a "Poster Boy"

You keep bringing it back to Barry. He has nothing to do with this. Assigning strokes during a round is fine. Bad mouthing another player outside of a round for whatever reason is bad sportsmanship and unprofssional.

I've witnessed what appeared to be a bad attitude from Barry at the 2005 Worlds. I don't know what started it but he was storming around pointing and shouting at the gallery with a rather threatening demeanor. I've heard others say he's a decent guy but then again some say positive things about Brad Hammock and BH's behavior is pretty well documented so I think some touring guys may be Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

I've played with several touring players and watched many others and unfortunately many of them act like arses. Bag kicking, cussing blaming the basket for their missed putt, saying the course they're playing sucks, making disparaging remarks about the TD or the volunteer spotters, or the format or the payout, etc. While not all touring players are crybabies, as a group they are the biggest group of whiners and poor sports I've ever known. Thank God for players like Schweberger and others like him. Brian is the nicest guy on tour, very personable, fun and always positive, and it doesn't matter if you're 1000 rated or 800 rated he will treat you as an equal when talking or playing with him.

I know this sportsmanship issue is a thread drift. As far as top name players duking it out for top money there's no doubt if substantial $ could be obtained through sponsors or ticket sales and promoted well it could get a good draw. As far as skins go, I know Jim Palmeri wanted to give away a brand new car in a skins match at the conclusion of a tourney that was scheduled for August, I don't know if that's still in the works or not.

roadkill said:
I've witnessed what appeared to be a bad attitude from Barry at the 2005 Worlds. I don't know what started it but he was storming around pointing and shouting at the gallery with a rather threatening demeanor.

don't know if this is the same incident, but I heard about him losing his cool once b/c somebody snapped a picture as he was putting, and the shutter noise threw him off. :roll:

Also heard Feldburg can be a PITA sometimes, but Avery is apparently upstanding and professional player.

Sptting on another guy's dsc ?? I just find that hard to believe. In what context ?? Like just spitting and it accidentally hits someone's disc ??

I just cannot see this guy maliciously with a scowl on his face blow a big one on another competitor's disc

Tim_the_Enchanter said:
but Avery is apparently upstanding and professional player.

I played with Avery Jenkins and Shawn Sinclair a few years back and they were both pretty cool. Avery even had several putts go through the chains and while he was disappointed he handled his misfortune with dignity and class.

Everyone knows about Schwebby, and rumors abound about Schultz, but I'd love to know what it's like to play with a lot of the top pros. I don't mean classify them into "good" and "bad," but what that experience was like.

Coogs

Because many of the top pros tour, their performance on the course has a direct bearing on their ability to meet their financial obligations, therefore unfortunately the experience of playing with them being positive or negative often hinges on whether or not they are having a good round.

If a touring guy is not having a good round there can be a lot of tension in the group with everyone walking on eggshells. This tension gets exasperated if said player starts spewing negative remarks, cussing or kicking his bag. If the said player is doing well he'll be more likely to talk with the rest of the group and the mood might be more relaxed.
If you're playing with Schwebby or Avery it'll be fairly laid back regardless of how their round is going. Brinster is pretty good to play with also. He's fairly quiet most of the time but I've played around him many times and never witnessed anything negative.

There are a number of top players I would rather not play with since everything is a life or death consequence to them and many won't even acknowledge you if they can get away with it.

These guys for the most part are not superhuman. They're just guys that put their pants on the same way we do. There are a handful of players that have impressive distance and there are a handful that are impressive putters but their physical skills are not that much better than a lot of lower rated players, they are just more consistent and recover better from bad shots.

The best players in my region are Mike Moser, Steve Brinster, Jim Myers, Joe Mela and Craig Gangloff. Brinster is the only one in this group who really tours the others hold full time jobs and families and play a number of large events but play the majority of events within a 4 hour radius of their homes. They're all skilled players who've been around the block for a long time and decent guys to mix it up with. Moser and Mela are both fun to watch when they're in the zone. Joey is very creative in his shot making, he has such confidence at times and is successful at shots that no one else would even consider attempting. Mose can manipulate an aviar like no one's business and when in the zone he's pretty insane. He also has an uncanny way of scrapping his way to save a par from the worst lies. At times his putter goes in from anywhere. I've seen him make 75 footers look almost routine. They're not superhuman but when they do find the zone it is a real treat to be around.

discrat said:
Sptting on another guy's dsc ?? I just find that hard to believe. In what context ?? Like just spitting and it accidentally hits someone's disc ??

I just cannot see this guy maliciously with a scowl on his face blow a big one on another competitor's disc

Yeah Barry blew by on a putt and McCabe asked if he could pick up and get out of the way and Barry decided to spit on the ground when he passed the basket and it found its way to Eric's disc.

scoot_er said:
discrat said:

Yeah Barry blew by on a putt and McCabe asked if he could pick up and get out of the way and Barry decided to spit on the ground when he passed the basket and it found its way to Eric's disc.

C'mon Matt, Barry is that good of a spitter?

I saw Barry get mad at Cedar Hill, he was only mad at himself, saying things like "c'mon Barry", if he kicked a bag it was his own.

Tiger does worse in every tournament he plays, they do not even bother to beep him any more.

Bradley Walker said:
scoot_er said:
discrat said:

I saw Barry get mad at Cedar Hill, he was only mad at himself, saying things like "c'mon Barry", if he kicked a bag it was his own.

Tiger does worse in every tournament he plays, they do not even bother to beep him any more.

Well I guess he has practiced because I was told he did it at Veterans too.

Bradley Walker said:
scoot_er said:
discrat said:

Yeah good point. I have at least a half dozen times seen and heard Tiger madly yell GD after hitting bad iron shots. At first it really took me back when I first heard him say this a few years ago. You could tell CBS commentators were trying to diffuse this sitiuation because it was so clearly heard on live broadcast.

However, I would have to say Tiger overall is a good sport. After a game he is always a gracious loser and congratulates the others who might beat him. And he never pulls a Hammock and yells derogatory remarks to other players. Never !!!

I think the last couple of years Tiger's temper has waned a little. He is maturing and married life probably has helped him keep things in perspective.

I dont think what BS did to Mccabe seemed openly disrespectable from what has been described . However, I was not there so cant say for sure

discrat said:
Bradley Walker said:
scoot_er said:
discrat said:

Yeah good point. I have at least a half dozen times seen and heard Tiger madly yell GD after hitting bad iron shots. At first it really took me back when I first heard him say this a few years ago. You could tell CBS commentators were trying to diffuse this sitiuation because it was so clearly heard on live broadcast.

However, I would have to say Tiger overall is a good sport. After a game he is always a gracious loser and congratulates the others who might beat him. And he never pulls a Hammock and yells derogatory remarks to other players. Never !!!

I think the last couple of years Tiger's temper has waned a little. He is maturing and married life probably has helped him keep things in perspective.

I dont think what BS did to Mccabe seemed openly disrespectable from what has been described . However, I was not there so cant say for sure

So spitting on another guys disc isn't disrespectful? Well here that isn't consistant with our "Southern Hospitality" and we consider that to be pretty bad.

scoot_er said:
So spitting on another guys disc isn't disrespectful? Well here that isn't consistant with our "Southern Hospitality" and we consider that to be pretty bad.

Clearly you've never felt any of his behaviour bad enough to warrant a courtesy violation as provided for by the rules.

If you choose to ignore that kind of behaviour at the time, you have no right to go bad mouthing the guy afterwards.

my friend and I had a run in with Feldberg at 2005 Worlds in Allentown. it was hole 17 of the final round of regulation play and we were down near the green. Feldberg's approach came out of bounds and directly at us standing on the walking path OB.
when he approached, he asked us where it went out since there was nobody else there to spot it. My friend Mike spotted it at the EXACT point it went out. Well, this was not the best location but it was where he went out. He took his stroke, took his putt and missed and ended up double bogey on the hole. After he putted out he came back over to us and goes to my friend Mike, "if you are going to inject yourself into the round like that, you better be damn sure you give the player the correct and exact spot" and then walked away!

He was a total prick about it and was taking his bad shots out on a random fan in the gallery. Felt it was very much a prick's trick after it was HIM that brought US into the round.....

(that is my only "run in" with a pro) oh, other than last year's philly open when I saw an AM group misplay the layout of holes and the lead OPEN group which contained Mela and Brinster get very bent out of shape about it and started telling them they were going to get strokes and all that. They were really getting upset about it.