• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

explain please

If it's the same reason my daughter didn't like the X Comet today, it's because it "feels icky." :| X is a little more tacky feeling than Star/ESP; she didn't like it at all.

I would have tried to articulate it better, but that's basically it.

I mean, it's better than blowfly II plastic, that I won't even pickup to hand to my friend...

In all seriousness, the position of my fingers on the discs means I need a firm, somewhat slick plastic to release cleanly.
Z, Ti, old Neutron,old Proton, old ESP....
Even the new ESP is a bit too grippy for me.

I'm just the opposite, Z, TI and big-Z Comets are all pretty slick for me and are always slipping out. Some ESP is pretty nice though. Funny thing is they always feel fine in the shop, but when I take them out to play, oops, there is another slip and If I try to hold them more firm, then the late releases start.

Not a fan of the feel of X when it's new, but when it's scuffed up a bit and has a little use to it, I love it. Same with KC Rocs, hate them new, got to put some scuff and beat on them.

In all seriousness, the position of my fingers on the discs means I need a firm, somewhat slick plastic to release cleanly.
Z, Ti, old Neutron,old Proton, old ESP....
Even the new ESP is a bit too grippy for me.

I have gone through periods of time where I think this about Comets in X vs Z, but also periods of time where I can get a clean release equally well on both plastic types.

I haven't figured out though if it's the grippiness, or if it's the shape of the disc and how it molds up, or if it's that Z is somewhat more overstable and therefore more forgiving of a sloppy release.

Lately, I've been finding that keeping my upper body and my grip really loose through most of the throw is allowing me to get perfectly clean releases with the X Comet. We'll see if that holds true, but I know with good form it's possible to get a clean release with an X Comet and the flight in X plastic is magical so it will always be in my bag.

For me, it the top plate thumb pressure. I have had soft Proton vacuum lock on my thumb in humid weather. I create thumb divots in softer discs if I throw from the same position all the time.
I have less issues with a three finger power grip, but that's not a grip for a touch disc.

Let's talk pairings - Comet is a grrrreat mold, but I think it's reasonable to expect that a lot of people are going to want to pair them with something to add an OS or US bookend.

KC Roc or other Rancho Roc seems like a popular choice, and for good reason; comets fly a lot like a well seasoned roc. For me however, I'm not a big fan of the flight of a fresh roc, just doesn't do it for me.

Another option not too far off on the spectrum would be a Wasp or a Roc3 - very similar in the hand to me, and similar stability. Wasps edge most Roc3s out in stability, but they both share the beaded profile and relative flatness.

Other than those, you enter the realm of more modern, sleek S/OS mids. Truths of all kinds seem a little long and fast to really pair with comets, unless you really love mids and want to throw them as a complement rather than more of a "Comet OS". I have considered something like a Pine, as it seems to hit the sweet spot of comfy to forehand (for me, anyway) while not being too hoggish and OS. I would consider a gyro mold too - I'd probably skip the Vector in favor of a wasp, but the matrix is worthy of consideration here too.

I do bag a Mortar, and I think bagging a true OS mid next to a comet is far enough removed to leave a large gap to fill with a S/OS mid. At this time, I'm skipping the S/OS mid pairing, and throwing a fresh X comet on hyzer or powering down a neutral fairway. In the future I'll likely throw a Wasp in the bag.

As far as US bookends go, I find most "US" mids to be very different than the comet, particularly in the realm of speed sensitivity. I've been looking at throwing a star mirage as my understable complement, as it encroaches on mid distances while not falling out of the sky when thrown with similar speed to a powered down mid shot.

Rocs, domey Wasps, Ghosts and Aftershocks all pair well with the Comet. I've used them all pretty interchangeably over the years with Comets. Right now I prefer the aftershock. It's plenty stable enough for what I want to use it for. I rarely throw anything other than Comets though, and the Aftershock is for shorter, odd distance hyzers that I don't feel good about throwing a Zone or Predator. I have 3 Comets that cover 90% of my midrange and shorter shots (x, MJ z, MJ esp)

I pair Comets with a Sentinel MF. It's faster, runs a lower line and doesn't really flip unless I screw something up. It does some things really well I struggle a bit to get my Comets to do i.e. low ceiling hyzer line and into a strong wind when I can't afford to end up right.

Are any of those common pairings the same diameter as a Comet? Comets seem to be a hair wider than a typical Buzzz/Roc- especially the one Big Z and the one glow ESP Comet I have/have had.

I always thought a Gila might be a good pairing for the Comet based on what I've read about them...

I always thought a Gila might be a good pairing for the Comet based on what I've read about them...

Not really, the Gila is too fast, too overstable.
I tried that combo, I still needed a disc to bridge the two.

The Gila is more of a narrow, beaded driver, I feel it would pair better with the Buzzz.

The Comet pairs best with a Wasp/Roc3/Vector class disc.

My slow midrange line up, All max weight or near:
Z Wasp, Z Fly-dye Comet, Premium Stari.

I also carry faster mids as well.

Last edited:
I pair mine with a couple of Buzzzs regular one and an OS, works for my slow arm speed.

Right now, I'm pairing my Comets with a Verdict. I know they don't feel remotely the same, but that doesn't usually cause me any issues. Right now I bag a Z-MJ and a domey Pearly Z, to go along with my hybrid Verdict. These three cover all of my mid needs.

In regard to the X plastic, I do miss the old X as it seemed a little bit firmer and less tacky.

Also, the other day I snagged an x-out X-Comet from a vendor, but when it arrived it was an old x-out TP Comet :thmbup:

My mids at the moment are an old ESP comet for the flippy slot, MJ ESP Glo for neutral, and then a Z hornet for the OS slot.

That is a big leap in stability between the Comet & Hornet. I applaud your simple approach.

:clap:

Love the comet. Started throwing them right around 2012 or so. Have quite a few of them at this point. Currently bagging a thrashed up X for rollers, a slightly seasond esp for flip to flat and turnover, and an MJ Swirl ESP for straight with a nice little forward fade. They are currently being complimented by Innova Rats. Which I am loving as a forehand mid/approach disc. As well as a stable of Eagle-X's wich power down really well.

I pair my comets with.... more comets! My only mid. I power up a zone if I need stability or power down a vulture/Machete. I've really slimmed down my bag. I'm liking having less choices when reaching for a disc.

I use an Envy.. Duh.
But more Comets is the correct answer.

I also pair the Comet with a Tangent most often, a little more stability, a smaller less glidey rounded wing so it is easier to range in headwinds and that can be helpful on steep downhill. I can also FH it a bit better.

It's also a backup if the Comet isn't quite working and vice versa...doubles as a second utility mid and a ridiculous windy in the circle putter.

Sometimes a wasp or Vector or Axis..

So,after being recommended the comet by numerous people I finally added one to my MST cart along with some other midranges I want to test out. As always I gravitated towards the most expensive version. MJ esp glo. After browsing this thread a bit it seems like that may not be the best option for a first time comet? They have some pretty sweet looking regular swirl esp comets and some nice X plastic comets as well.

Last edited:
So,after being recommended the comet by numerous people I finally added one to my MST cart along with some other midranges I want to test out. As always I gravitated towards the most expensive version. MJ esp glo. After browsing this thread a bit it seems like that may not be the best option for a first time comet? They have some pretty sweet looking regular swirl esp comets and some nice X plastic comets as well.

For your first Comet, I would suggest a Big Z or Elite Z. Pretty much middle of the road on stability and glide.
Elite Z is more firm than Big Z.

For your first Comet, I would suggest a Big Z or Elite Z. Pretty much middle of the road on stability and glide.
Elite Z is more firm than Big Z.
One of the cool things about Comets is that Comets fly like Comets. We talk about degrees of stability in Comets because we notice subtle differences, but a Z Comet isn't so much more overstable than an X Comet that it's a dramatic difference. Other molds can have wild variations from plastic to plastic, but Comets pretty much are Comets. I pick Comets more on dome than plastic; if it looks and feels right to me I don't much care about which plastic it is in. The ESP's pretty consistently don't feel right to me in the hand so I don't much throw those, but I throw X's, Z's and Big Z's. They all fly like Comets, and I can work with the slight variations in stability I'm going to get.

Which is a long way to say I don't really think the plastic is a huge dealio with Comets. Whatever plastic you tend to like to throw should be fine.

purrrrfect time for comet love to be active...

had a killer customer service rep at a company Sprint store near work. (switched to Sprint as their deal for veterans for more than one full data line is very good) Awesome fast and easy on my funky questions. knocked out of the water by my 20pt 'all' the data/demographics info typed one-sheet with dl and DD214 copy paperclipped to it. got my sturdy iphone SE number from verizon to sprint and added an independent cellular ipad as a full second line. 10 minute previsit, found me an additional 5$ off monthly before appointment and 22 minutes in and out while i mostly played with speakers.

gave the rep a pink z comet with a little honest break in. (my DG Action Van always has donors) I had mentioned a cell tablet would simplify / elegantify my DG and traveling speaker party rig. mild chat... ... wow, long story short.. maybe comet may encourage her to try dg again and just a nice walk in the park. was well received

Last edited: