• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Update that nobody cares about:

Starting to really dislike the esp glow plastic
I care. :|

I've kinda never really have clicked with it, but I can't really figure out why. Everybody else seems to love it, so... :\

I care. :|

I've kinda never really have clicked with it, but I can't really figure out why. Everybody else seems to love it, so... :\

I have 3 MJ Comets in it and really like them, a little stiffer and more stable than the regular ESP.

I also have a Ledgestone Buzzz in it (had a couple beers, looked at discs, "hey this bee looks neat" purchase) and really don't like it, seems hard, overly stiff and just uncomfortable.

Those are my only 2 experiences with it though.

I'm curious how it beats in. I have a Wasp and Comet in the swirly ESP glo that I don't love at this point. Probably my favorite plastic in my disc collection is a beat 5 year old ESP Buzzz that's like buttah.

I'm not sure mine will last much longer in the bag. They feel slick and cheap. I'll go back to z or something.

Discraft kinda sucks when they make new plastic types.

So, I expect to get lots of conflicting answers, but here goes.

What version of the Comet should I try out to see if I like the mold?

I throw Roc3s but am looking for something more understable out of the box that also has a bead.

I say a Z around 175g. I'm no form master but I've tried beat and fresh X and they seem pretty flippy. Great for form work if that's what you're looking for but the Z glides great for me and holds a line.

So, I expect to get lots of conflicting answers, but here goes.

I throw Roc3s but am looking for something more understable out of the box that also has a bead.

I say a Z around 175g. I'm no form master but I've tried beat and fresh X and they seem pretty flippy. Great for form work if that's what you're looking for but the Z glides great for me and holds a line.

I personally would not recommend the Comet, so sorry :p , but I agree with discerdoo... except I recommend your favorite weight instead of 175g (if your favorite weight is different, of course).

I personally would not recommend the Comet, so sorry :p , but I agree with discerdoo... except I recommend your favorite weight instead of 175g (if your favorite weight is different, of course).

Now that's some invaluable information!

I picked up a Z comet yesterday and played a smaller, technical course all day. I loved the way this thing was flying. I found it more controllable than the truths i was throwing and the glide was giving me effortless distance. I think I'm going to pair it with 2 SP aftershocks.

I was throwing the ESP glo MJ Comet today and following it up with an X Comet just for giggles; course was empty so we were throwing 3-4 shots off the tee for funzies. About halfway through the round I had thrown my upshot from the MJ Comet (1st shot) and walked up the fairway 50' to where my X Comet had landed. My daughter asked "How much did you pay for that Comet?" meaning the X Comet in my hand. I replied "$10.00." She lined up her putt and right before she released it said "So that $20.00 Comet was a good investment, hun?"

Which is pretty much how I'm feeling about it. :\ I'm just not clicking with it.

She is totally clicking with the Z MJ Comet, though. So somebody is getting their $20.00 worth out of a Comet.

I am not fond of the X Comet, but it has nothing to do with flight. I just don't care for the hand feel.
Grip lock h3!! for me. About 1 out of three shots get stick on my hand.
I probably need to do more field work with the X Comet, but it's not going in my bag.

Last edited:
explain please
If it's the same reason my daughter didn't like the X Comet today, it's because it "feels icky." :| X is a little more tacky feeling than Star/ESP; she didn't like it at all.

It occurs to me that I make my daughter sound like a little kid; she just turned 18. She's a junior in college. In almost all phases of her life she is strangely mature; disc golf is when we let the freak flag fly and "icky" becomes a perfectly apt descriptive term. There is a time and place to be a mature grown up; when you are on the disc golf course is neither the time nor the place.