• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I am going to continue throwing it as it is a blast to watch mid flight. But I don't know if it will fit into my competitive bag simply because I don't know if I will ever be able to fully harness its majestic flight.

Yeah it's tricky for those situations. There are other places where you may like it over your Rocs though.

If it's an open hole with tailwind then it is perfect for getting the extra 30-50' and staying straight, where a fairway would get the tailwind fade effect. Also as it beats in, it will turn over and hold a turn to the ground, so you can trust it to always fly that line rather than starting a Roc on an anny. I find it way easier to hit my height and gap in the woods with a hyzer flip to turnover rather than trying to get an anny just right.

Yeah the hole in the question had a gradual slope downhill and the Comet just kept on going without coming down for 50+ ft. Beyond my anticipated target

Yup that is a problem I also fear my Comet downhill big wing big blow by... I prefer a smoother rim for steep downhill that's one shot I usually pack a Tangent for... used to be a beat in Buzzz. Best way to tackle that shot with a Comet is a little nose up little anhyzer and aim low. Maybe get a new heavy MJ series glo/esp to fill out your bag :)

Oh wow, I just went back to Comets after five years. Why did I stop throwing these? I picked up four Z's and one ESP's today and instantly threw them perfectly. Nice slow turnovers, smooth annies, straight shots, everything. I'm in love.

Anyone notice how well the Comet takes nose-up to manipulate how it flies? If I'm ever afraid of sailing a green or if I need a little more hookup for whatever reason, a little nose up will slow the comet down without causing it to fall out of the air. :hfive:

I gave the X comet another chance the other day and I'm digging it. I want to pick up another in max weight to cycle in - the nice thing here is that I find the flight of a fresh comet very useful in the woods. I never clicked with fresh Rocs unfortunately, there are so few holes around here that call for a midrange straight to fade shot. I blame the course designers to a large degree. :\

The comet is the best disc to manipulate wing and nose angles with because it's pretty much true neutral in flight. It also handles a wide range of speeds pretty well. A few reasons why it's my primary mid.

I recently acquried an Elite-X Comet in a trade and now I'm wondering why I didn't try an X Comet earlier. I threw it further and smoother than my beat Rocs. I'm really no longer debating that DC has the best mids, at least between the Comet and Wasp.

On a related note, what would be a BEADED DC mid to fit between my Elite-X Comet and flat Z Wasp?

I've got a Z Comet and either a Big Z or Ti (don't know which and even on here we couldn't come to a conclusion) that I could put in with the Elite-X Comet and Z Wasp, but I feel like I would need something similar to a seasoned Roc, as my Z Wasp is more OS than any of my Rocs, by a fair amount.

Yeah the hole in the question had a gradual slope downhill and the Comet just kept on going without coming down for 50+ ft. Beyond my anticipated target.

I like to power up mids and my rocs are great for slowing down and settling down as they slow down. I'm just shocked by how much the Comet likes to hang up there.

Some discs have glide. The Comet has GLIDE beyond what I could even imagine.

I am going to continue throwing it as it is a blast to watch mid flight. But I don't know if it will fit into my competitive bag simply because I don't know if I will ever be able to fully harness its majestic flight.

Yeah the Comet is a good disc for those who need a long glide disc, I have that kind of mid in my bag with a Shark, basically a bead-less Comet. I have no need for a Comet but they are good for approach shots if you are the type to either be too conservative if the Comet is in heavier weights around ~175 grams. I could use the disc for such shots as with Putters as I am either too aggressive with less glide putters or conservative more glide putters outside my normal ~30ft-35ft max on putting range, in the approach category.

Sounds like you got a high dome Comet.

I recently acquried an Elite-X Comet in a trade and now I'm wondering why I didn't try an X Comet earlier. I threw it further and smoother than my beat Rocs. I'm really no longer debating that DC has the best mids, at least between the Comet and Wasp.

On a related note, what would be a BEADED DC mid to fit between my Elite-X Comet and flat Z Wasp?

I've got a Z Comet and either a Big Z or Ti (don't know which and even on here we couldn't come to a conclusion) that I could put in with the Elite-X Comet and Z Wasp, but I feel like I would need something similar to a seasoned Roc, as my Z Wasp is more OS than any of my Rocs, by a fair amount.

Lightweight Z Wasp. Or bite the bullet and do like me and have a couple DX Rancho Rocs between a heavy Z Wasp and a Z Comet. One of the best inter-brand pairings out there.

My daughter steals my Comets. It's a long-standing problem. She used to steal them then lose them, but she is older now and not at bad at losing plastic. She's still bad at taking my discs, though. She usually in her mind makes a "trade" i.e. "I'll take this Z Comet that is in your bag and you can have this 152g Sure Grip Element that I don't want." :| Anyway, she has a bag full of what should be my Comets.

We were at a DG store this week and they had one 2017 MJ Comet and one 2018 MJ Comet. She paid cash $ for her own Comet, so now she has a 2017 MJ Comet that was never at any time my Comet. This should be progress.

We left the store and went to a course that neither one of us had played before. There were a lot of wooded holes. She had a brand new disc in her bag. She literally teed off on every hole with that Comet. She played the whole round with a Comet and a Judge that she also just bought. I bought the 2018 MJ Comet but left it in the car, I had my regular bag full of discs I knew. Kid kicked my ***. :\ I'm playing pinball wizard and the kid keeps throwing the Comet up the fairway toward the basket.

I kinda miss the little kid who used to lose my Comets. :(

^right in the damn feels

giphy.gif

My daughter steals my Comets. It's a long-standing problem. She used to steal them then lose them, but she is older now and not at bad at losing plastic. She's still bad at taking my discs, though. She usually in her mind makes a "trade" i.e. "I'll take this Z Comet that is in your bag and you can have this 152g Sure Grip Element that I don't want." :| Anyway, she has a bag full of what should be my Comets.

We were at a DG store this week and they had one 2017 MJ Comet and one 2018 MJ Comet. She paid cash $ for her own Comet, so now she has a 2017 MJ Comet that was never at any time my Comet. This should be progress.

We left the store and went to a course that neither one of us had played before. There were a lot of wooded holes. She had a brand new disc in her bag. She literally teed off on every hole with that Comet. She played the whole round with a Comet and a Judge that she also just bought. I bought the 2018 MJ Comet but left it in the car, I had my regular bag full of discs I knew. Kid kicked my ***. :\ I'm playing pinball wizard and the kid keeps throwing the Comet up the fairway toward the basket.

I kinda miss the little kid who used to lose my Comets. :(

Not a fan of the Comet, but I'm a fan of spending a day playing disc golf with one's kid. Cherish the memories; those kids grow up just too darn fast...

I have a bunch of "fancy" Comets waiting in backup...but I still rely on my first X Comet, first Z Comet and a new heavier Z Comet.

Favorite cardmate response so far to a well executed Comet shot:

"That was a pleasure to watch."

I received highfives from everybody too.

Nice. I've gotten the "Nice shot. What disc was that?" An Undertaker forehand has earned me a few of those too.