• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Currently throwing a beat 175g x comet and want to add a premium to the bag. Looking at a 170g old esp blend or 173-175g '19 MJ esp, what do?

So depends if you are trying to get something like the X.. It's closest cousin would be a flat esp and a few grams lighter 170 sounds good, maybe 172 max. If you are looking for a complement to it, look for more dome and lighter 170 or an ESP at similar weight like the MJ.

The dome will give you the flight you want in a couple years with a little extra stability and more glide.. once it breaks in , a flat one will be more instant satisfaction and will wear into a more understable flight faster.

I carry three ESP Comet's to cover almost all of my mid duties. One beat flat esp, one slightly worn mild dome and one '19 MJ. I carry a Caiman if the wind starts to really pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to save my edit. My edit said just get some esp's. They work in very nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone back to throwing comets as my primary midrange. I've learned how to throw with a power grip with midranges and get no off axis torque, and I've been getting some really sweet flights from the comet. I'm definitely imparting way more spin, notably when I can get a really late right turn out of a hyzer flip. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Hey so I got my first big Z meatball Comet for my birthday... I went out and threw it on the weekend it's been a while since I had a fresh Z one. The dome is mild at best but not a total flat top. Thing is it's pretty stable, tried a toss on my 45 degree downhill shot and it held dead straight even with a mild headwind.

Is that normal? I'd heard the big Z was like a mildly beat Z but I don't know feels pretty beefy for a 172 ish, I suppose I could scale it to check. Kinda slippery too so maybe it's a grip issue.

My limited experience with big Z, older runs, is that they are less stable than most all Z comets I have had and are noticeably flatter. Not necessarilly flat but flatter.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I have a sample size of exactly one Big Z Comet. :\

Mine is an older run, the dome is in the pretty normal range for a Z Comet; maybe slightly on the less domey side of that range but not flat. It's also not heavy, it's I think 173g or something like that. I've always preferred Z Comets to X Comets; I like the little more stability. That Big Z for me slid right into my go-to Comet slot. It was maybe a tad less stable but still beefy enough for me, good glide, great flight. It was like a Z Comet that I didn't have to break in.

Since I picked up that Big Z there have been the Mike Jo Comets and Ledgestone Comets that seem to be all I buy anymore. I haven't bought a stock Comet in five or so years. So I still have that one Big Z, which isn't much of a sample size. That one was great, though. I really liked it.

If you prefer the X Comet over the Z Comet, your mileage may vary. :|

Lol yup. Just stole this one at a Facebook auction. Flying meatball ESP Glow MJ...
ccfbab7f592886c32f18be729007f919.jpg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Lol. The one I throw is babyfood squash orange with almost no swirl to it at all, if it has any glow in it at all it's mixed in really well. It's really just an overpriced ESP Comet. :| I've lost it and needed to stop a round to go on a full-scale search for it a half dozen times because of that bland tan/orange color. The hotstamp is impossible to read, there is too much going on with it. It's really one of my least-favorite discs in terms of design/color.

It flies nice, though.

Lol. The one I throw is babyfood squash orange with almost no swirl to it at all, if it has any glow in it at all it's mixed in really well. It's really just an overpriced ESP Comet. :| I've lost it and needed to stop a round to go on a full-scale search for it a half dozen times because of that bland tan/orange color. The hotstamp is impossible to read, there is too much going on with it. It's really one of my least-favorite discs in terms of design/color.

It flies nice, though.
Mine is a peach/orange that jumps out in the woods. I should have looked more closely but I don't think it was any more than a normal premium plastic disc where I bought it.

I have a sample size of exactly one Big Z Comet. :\

Mine is an older run, the dome is in the pretty normal range for a Z Comet; maybe slightly on the less domey side of that range but not flat. It's also not heavy, it's I think 173g or something like that. I've always preferred Z Comets to X Comets; I like the little more stability. That Big Z for me slid right into my go-to Comet slot. It was maybe a tad less stable but still beefy enough for me, good glide, great flight. It was like a Z Comet that I didn't have to break in.

Since I picked up that Big Z there have been the Mike Jo Comets and Ledgestone Comets that seem to be all I buy anymore. I haven't bought a stock Comet in five or so years. So I still have that one Big Z, which isn't much of a sample size. That one was great, though. I really liked it.

If you prefer the X Comet over the Z Comet, your mileage may vary. :|

Always nice to read your posts.. That's what I was told to expect, mine is the same in terms of dome. I don't really feel like it's reacting the same as a small dome ESP or Z say. The shoulder is flatter with fast transition though...

It has a beefy feel, and low turn with a steady and faster starting but not extreme fade. Kinda odd for all the Comets I've thrown but sample size of one. Don't get me wrong I like the beefy but the flight line is kinda Buzzz sort of. It's got a different power range I think. Not so good up short but once you power it up its got a very straight flight

Last edited:
Hmmm so Addendum:

I went out and played a quick round in the yard with the dog after posting.. First throw with big Z was on the money. Great straight flight solid grip minimal turn and fade.. Next throw a little rough but solid, after that it went to sh**

I'm feeling like ambient temperature and grip issues are what's hampering me, it's not too bad here 6 or 7 Celsius but as the disc cooled off I lost more grip and it was slipping out on more of an underpowered hyzer line. Might give that thing a wash and a scuff.

My 2nd favorite comet ever was also a stock one. 173g double stamp. Sad day when it went for a swim. It was my second because my first Z was my favorite. Orange Walled lake Z. It taught me so much. I didn't like it much cause I over threw everything with it back then...

But hey, there's nothing wrong with liking fancy discs.