• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Your Wasps won't stay overstable. Are you going to stop throwing each one as they start to overlap with your Comet? I ask because I used to carry a Comet but benched it when my Wasp finally beat to straight. After tens of thousands of throws, I just couldn't abandon the Wasp. I just realized I didn't need the Comet anymore, except in practice.

I know it won't stay overstable. That's the main problem - my Wasp, in D plastic - flips in a moderate wind, and is easily-to-easily hyzer-flipped/flattened in calm weather. I was thinking of getting it in Z plastic because it will wear in much slower and stay overstable for much longer.

So no, I'm not going to necessarily replace my Wasp when it overlaps with my Comet. I'll replace it with another Wasp when it no longer does the job I slot it for in my bag. Maybe I could do this by rotating Rocs, but Wasp in a durable plastic will eliminate my need to rotate Rocs to fill the same slot and take the guess work out of multi-disc/single-mold shot selection.

I know it won't stay overstable. That's the main problem - my Wasp, in D plastic - flips in a moderate wind, and is easily-to-easily hyzer-flipped/flattened in calm weather. I was thinking of getting it in Z plastic because it will wear in much slower and stay overstable for much longer.

So no, I'm not going to necessarily replace my Wasp when it overlaps with my Comet. I'll replace it with another Wasp when it no longer does the job I slot it for in my bag. Maybe I could do this by rotating Rocs, but Wasp in a durable plastic will eliminate my need to rotate Rocs to fill the same slot and take the guess work out of multi-disc/single-mold shot selection.

While I would've once agreed with you, my Z Wasp finally has beaten to straight/Comet overlap (took close to three years and too many throws to count). I know it so well at this point that I would be foolish to replace it. Menace is indeed correct about the glide, but that's not really a big issue to me since I always had to back off my regular throw to get a decent flight from the Comet. Maybe, when you do finally beat a Z into the same spot mine's in now, you'll change your mind (or not :) ). I do still love still throwing Comets in the field. It really is a damn fun disc to throw.

And a word of warning. Be careful with Wasps. They really aren't the most consistent mold. If you find a run you like, buy as many as you can. I wish I'd stocked up on the flat pearlies a little more before they started gaining value.

Gave in today and bought at 175 DX Rancho Roc. Comet is staying in the bag for now, at least if and until I beat in the Roc and see some overlap. I'd really like to get down to a three (or four) mold bag.

I'm too lazy to read 111 pages of comet love. Just got back into throwing Comets. I have a first run ESP that is nice and workable and an old stamp Z that is still pretty stable. How do the third run ESP's compare to other ESP runs? My old stamp Z is really nice, are the production runs similar or should I try and find more of the old reds?

I find that all the ESP runs have been pretty consistent in it's flight. The third runs happen to be gummier (at least all the ones I have are). I absolutely love the ESP Comet. Big dome equals good times. With this being said, I really wish I could find another Yellow ESP one. I had one that was absolutely the most perfect mid ever and it was stolen off the fairway. Grr to that guy.

I just bought 3 esp comets and I am pretty sure they all 2nd runs but I'm not positive. Is there any sure fire way to tell the difference between the runs?

I'm pretty sure first runs have tooling and I know that third runs do not. Not sure about tooling on the 2nd runs though.

These are the two comets in my bag

IMG_20120731_223744.jpg

I own a Elite X Comet.Great disc.

I've came in contact with a few trees at warp speed that has resulted in it being in a constant warped state.

I love the disc as a release fixing disc so I'm going to get me a Z plastic Comet the next time I'm in town.

Yep....both have toolin

Well that narrows it down to the first two runs lol.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60744
In this thread booter gives a plastic/mold description to differentiate the runs but I am looking for something slightly more specific if there is anything at all.

After comparing the ESP to my current run X they all have a higher shoulder but the plastic isn't what I would describe as "chalky".

Any more thoughts/ideas?

the x comet holds the anhyzer line longer for me then the z, that's why i keep them both in my bag.

do you still have the white one i gave you? i can't imagine how crazy beat that thing must be now. the schu is a great place to break in a comet.

Latest posts