• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

So I am a tall guy with a large wing span I'm just over 6'5 and so I end up with a lot of power and snap even when I back off. I've been looking for a disc to help me work on a smooth pull and snap and alas here's my solution, the comet. My question is due to my size and strength which kind of comet should I snag? X or Z? What weight also? Thanks!

I know someone else said x, but I would go with Z. I'm 6'3 myself and have thrown comets in the past (until my roc beat in to fly straight). The Z is a tad more stable and will be a touch more forgiving. It will be easier for you to start with that and then get an X once you're satisfied with the results of the Z.

i second jt. z would be better for you at your power level, the x may just turn and burn at least for a little bit until you get used to it. But the x comet is where it is at in terms of a solid learning tool.

I have developed a hate for the comet because It reminds me of a domey cobra. I can not grip this disc without a fan grip and does not fly well for me.

suggestions and I do not wish to try it in esp. I have a gummy cfr z and a old stock pearly one. one is hard other soft both do nothing for me, I mean I dont oat it so it crashes and burns, I can't find a use for this disc that my avair p/a or soft magic can fill they have the same flight path.

i recently bought a esp comet and it is amazing!!!! I do have a question tho.... I bought this to work on cleaning up my form... but I have no problem putting this out 300-320 straight. So my question is, does that mean my form is decent or should i be getting this out farther?? I usually put my cannon and destroyers 380-400. Thanks for any input.

For the Comet throwers who fill their OS slot with Rocs (and by extension, everyone):

• How many Rocs (and what types) do you keep in your bag?
  • What level of beat are they in?
  • Do your Rocs overlap with your Comet or visa/versa, and what is that overlap?
  • How does your stable Roc compare to your stable Comet in throw and flight path?
  • If you do have overlap, do you drop the Comet or the overlapping Roc?

And I guess I'm asking this because I throw a now-flippy D Wasp as my OS mid spot, and likely going to get another one in Z. But this also gives me an opportunity to think (and re-think, and re-re-think) what I'm going to use in that OS mid spot.

But I went and fondled DX Racho Rocs and they felt great - the DX gives good grip and the wing and bead make it feel like a Comet. I'm worried that if I start throwing Rocs, I'll rotate them until I have three - fresh, seasoned, and beat - and I that will eliminate my need for the Comet and I'll drop it from the bag.

Recently ive carried a smaller bag so its been:
Beefy z wasp, worn esp wasp, & rr z comet.
I dont tend to change my bag from course to course and do play a dozen or so courses on the reg, all with varied golf. Ive come to thinkin its better to be on the stabler side if i have to chose. Id like to carry a flippier comet but currently cant find a spot.

@Big_game_brewer: yes, it's a pretty good indicator that your throws are clean. Most likely not getting destroyers out further just because of nose angle issues.

For the Comet throwers who fill their OS slot with Rocs (and by extension, everyone):

• How many Rocs (and what types) do you keep in your bag?
  • What level of beat are they in?
  • Do your Rocs overlap with your Comet or visa/versa, and what is that overlap?
  • How does your stable Roc compare to your stable Comet in throw and flight path?
  • If you do have overlap, do you drop the Comet or the overlapping Roc?

For a long time I carried both, and I'm still a huge Comet advocate in my area. Now, however, I just carry Rocs, for simplicity. I'll try to knock down your questions one at a time.

4 Rocs in my bag. 3 dx - one new glow @180, one worn @175, and one beat heavy (don't know the exact weight it's so old) 1 kc pro @176 starting to get some wear, but it definitely still holds that typical kc roc line.

I don't feel like any of those rocs particularly overlap with comets for what I use them for. The roc is a little bit less of a point and shoot type midrange than the comet it. I tend to use comets for more finesse type shots when I carry them, and rocs more for harder throws.

My stable roc tends to hold a line at higher speeds than my stable comet. It also needs a little less height to get it where I want it. Neither turn and burn when really cranked, but the comet it more likely to end up finishing more to the right than the stable roc.

I sort of alluded to this earlier, but I took the comets out in favor of an all Roc lineup. It's really made my shot selection a lot easier. I kind of got in the mindset where I only used comets for straight and turnover shots, and rocs for moderate to hard hyzer finishes. There's not really a specific reason for my game I did it. I've had times where the Comet was my primary midrange (for a few years, actually) but mentally when I paired them with the slightly more versatile/robust Roc, I tended to treat them like they were more understable than they really were - which led to mistakes on the course and cost strokes. When any combination of discs starts me down that path, I tend to re-evaluate and make changes. This time, the decision was made to go with all Rocs.

note: I do use a champion gator in the stupidly overstable mid slot, but it's primarily a niche disc I use for sidearms and spike hyzers where I don't want to throw a predator.

^^^ im very much like this.. i LOVE the comet but for a month or so i have been all rocs and really like it and havent missed a beat.. i tried tossing the comets back in but i just didnt use them but i carry 4x rocs.. beat,semi beat, fresh,beefy.. ranging from 170-176g and then an esp zone which just a beefy tweener type disc.. i was carrying 3x and 2x comets (x and z)

After many parked 300' holes at leagues yest I will add my comet love.

I love the comet for so many shots! It has effortless glide, holds any line and is the long slow turnover disc that I have always wanted.

FWIW Mids I carry: rhbh thrower
175 z comet- soft hyzers, straight rope and turnovers with no fade 280-300'
175 z Buzz - soft hyzers, straight rope 270-290'
^^^ favs in the woods
175 z wasp- slight flex shots and hyzers 270-290'
175 z drone- spike hyzers, max headwind cutter and wide flex shots 260-270'

The comet makes sure my form is smooth by punishing me and flipping over if strong arm it.

While I still love a beat x comet for certain backhand shots I find myself using mine very often for finesse forhand/ bailout forhand shots. Complimented with a ce rhyno, and champ aero, I have a lot of versitility for flicking out of uncomfortable positions to get back on the fairway while making some forward progress.

I carry 3 Comets;

1 X - beat - I use it for Anny's and hyzerflips that I want to end with no fade
1 Z - Stable - I use this for dead straight shots with very minimal fade at the end
1 ESP - "OS" - I use this one for big floaty finesse hyzers

I love the Comet - I never used it as a diagnostic tool, just picked one up in a misprint deal and never looked back.

Now, however, I just carry Rocs, for simplicity. I'll try to knock down your questions one at a time.

I sort of alluded to this earlier, but I took the comets out in favor of an all Roc lineup. It's really made my shot selection a lot easier.

Thanks for the responses, VictorB and Ian.

I guess the bolded language why I'm going to stick with my Comet/Wasp combo. I'd rather have two mids over two molds rather than three-plus mids over one mold (Rocs), four-plus mids over two molds (Rocs, Comet), or five-plus mids over three molds (Rocs, Comet, Wasp or similar OS mid) - if onyl for simplicity and easy shot selection.

Thanks for the responses, VictorB and Ian.

I guess the bolded language why I'm going to stick with my Comet/Wasp combo. I'd rather have two mids over two molds rather than three-plus mids over one mold (Rocs), four-plus mids over two molds (Rocs, Comet), or five-plus mids over three molds (Rocs, Comet, Wasp or similar OS mid) - if onyl for simplicity and easy shot selection.

Your Wasps won't stay overstable. Are you going to stop throwing each one as they start to overlap with your Comet? I ask because I used to carry a Comet but benched it when my Wasp finally beat to straight. After tens of thousands of throws, I just couldn't abandon the Wasp. I just realized I didn't need the Comet anymore, except in practice.

Your Wasps won't stay overstable. Are you going to stop throwing each one as they start to overlap with your Comet? I ask because I used to carry a Comet but benched it when my Wasp finally beat to straight. After tens of thousands of throws, I just couldn't abandon the Wasp. I just realized I didn't need the Comet anymore, except in practice.

Idk I have thrown the same wasp for a year and a half and can't ever imagine any z wasp in any state of wear approximating a x comet. A beat wasp will turn over but it won't GLIde (capital G) like an x comet. Don't know about z comets so much.

So I've carried a fuse for almost two years now, and I'm beginning to question my fuse. I got a z comet for free and it can do all almost all the things the fuse can, plus it can go straighter with a nice fan grip. The comet might even replace the fuse. Yikes!

So I've carried a fuse for almost two years now, and I'm beginning to question my fuse. I got a z comet for free and it can do all almost all the things the fuse can, plus it can go straighter with a nice fan grip. The comet might even replace the fuse. Yikes!
talk like that will get you ridiculed and publicly shunned!!! :p I have been contemplating this as well. I have hopped on the roc train and it seems that the roc/comet duo is a killer option. May have to check out the z as well.

I carry 3x dx Rocs instead of any comets. I have thrown and x and z comets, definately prefered the x, but I had to drop the x comet from my bag for simplicity like others mentioned above. A nicely beat roc can duplicate the flight patterns of a comet (at least at my skill level) when thrown correctly. Just makes shot selection easier and also, it is nice to learn to throw all the shots you can with one mold rather than reaching for a different disc for different shots, as well as getting really familiar with that one disc. On top of that, I prefer dx plastic to any plastic made by discraft.

talk like that will get you ridiculed and publicly shunned!!! :p I have been contemplating this as well. I have hopped on the roc train and it seems that the roc/comet duo is a killer option. May have to check out the z as well.

I carry 4 ching rocs and an old run ESP comet.....the combo is deadly!

I didn't read the rest of the thread just had to comment on this.....just sayin

Latest posts