• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

You should be able to easily get it out to 300 ft. at least. I get my Comet out to 300 consistently as long as I don't hit any iron leaves

So I borrowed a friend's comet for some field work. I can get it out to about 210' consistently, max at about 225', how far should I be throwing this thing? I'm mainly throwing it to try and improve form. Love how laser straight this disc can fly, though. Might have to get myself one.
It depends on how far you throw. If you max out at 250' with your drivers you are not magically going to throw a Comet 300'.

first runs are mostly domey,high shoulder and tacky/sticky plastic. 2nd runs were pretty much all flat or mini dome.
plastic was different in the 2nd runs too. it wasnt like the first run ,it was more shiny but still grippy

I think first runs are a little fingerprinty not as shiny. but hard to tell.

i got these as first runs....they are really nice too

Nikon00002633.jpg

the white stamp is 3rd

It depends on how far you throw. If you max out at 250' with your drivers you are not magically going to throw a Comet 300'.

I max out a bit below 300 with my drivers, but my question wasn't really how far I can throw the Comet (I already know that), but how far an average DGer with good form can throw it. I'm interested in trying to use the Comet to help improve my form and ultimately increase my distance, so I wanted to know what the distance to work toward is.

I think first runs are a little fingerprinty not as shiny. but hard to tell.

i got these as first runs....they are really nice too

the white stamp is 3rd[/QUOTE]

Not all 3rd runs are shiny, but I know what you mean. I have 4 that are more of the matte/grippy ESP and 3 that are shiny/slick looking (still grippy though). I prefer the matte finish ones.

I max out a bit below 300 with my drivers, but my question wasn't really how far I can throw the Comet (I already know that), but how far an average DGer with good form can throw it. I'm interested in trying to use the Comet to help improve my form and ultimately increase my distance, so I wanted to know what the distance to work toward is.

I can get my comet out to about 330 on a good pull. Haven't really tried throwing them for max D, maybe I can get one out farther. I have a buddy that has put his stable Z Comets out close to 400. You can throw almost any disc far given enough snap and air to work with.

Elite X Comet. WOW....... I recently kicked the meteor outta the bag. What a fantastic disc.:thmbup: I'm on board with Comet love....:hfive:

i know some guys that can get em out over 400 but thats not too common. i get mine out to around 350 but dont usually use them in a situation where i need that kind of distance. that is unless there is a downhill bomb. there arent too many limits for the comet on a big dowhill throw.

Elite X Comet. WOW....... I recently kicked the meteor outta the bag. What a fantastic disc.:thmbup: I'm on board with Comet love....:hfive:
Comets like some air up underneath them like a Cyclone. Meteors are more of a "flat and low, works off speed" kinda disc. For somebody who likes Cyclones like you, the Comet pairs with it nicely.

Gotta bump this to profess some love for the Comet.

When I first got into discing a long time ago, . The first discs I bought for myself were a Birdie (loved the feel and Thumbtrac), a Wasp (I hated Buzzzes because everyone threw them, and I didn't know any better), and a Gazelle.

Well, the Gazelle and Wasp were initially too overstable for my noodle of an arm, and so I sought out something that was dead flat. I didn't know squat about DG back then, but I did understand that a 0 flight number meant straight. So I bought it.

Much of the Preamble to the Comet thread - posted in this thread at least twice after reading all 1,071 previous posts - is exactly why I bought the ignorantly bought my 170 X Comet many years ago.

Now that I am getting back into the game, I realize just how good of a disc it is, both as a diagnostic tool and just out on the course. You can't muscle it, and it takes a good amount of snap to get it past about 250'. And it flies exactly like the disc I was searching for and up to all of the Preamble's expectations.

Lots has been written about the perfect compliment to a Comet. I like using a beat D Wasp as an overstable buddy of the Comet. It's flippy b/c its maybe a little too beat, but it still handles wind OK. I know Rocs have been recommended, but I don't like the idea of cycling something in and out of the OS mid slot - hence I'm sticking with the Wasp. I also throw an old domey MRX, but that basically feels like a Comet with less glide and a less stable Wasp.

I am definitely a lover of the comet. I have had one in my bag for a while now and don't plan on removing it any time soon.
this mold shows its true colors in x plastic. I have had z and x in the bag at one point or another but the x beat out the z for the spot hands down. the z was too stable for what I think of as comet flight. dead straight lines with great control and finesse.
I keep mine in the bag as a security blanket. I know it is going to in where I throw it and it doesn't need to be cranked on to get distance.
love this disc!

My signature should provide a good explanation as to why i love the comet.

So I am a tall guy with a large wing span I'm just over 6'5 and so I end up with a lot of power and snap even when I back off. I've been looking for a disc to help me work on a smooth pull and snap and alas here's my solution, the comet. My question is due to my size and strength which kind of comet should I snag? X or Z? What weight also? Thanks!