• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I have allot of catching up to do, Ive never thrown a Comet. And I know it may be a loaded question, but what plastic should I buy my first Comet in?

I was thinking of getting one of these. Also I don't really throw any Discraft either now a days so Im not a pro with knowing the subtleties between plastics.

I have allot of catching up to do, Ive never thrown a Comet. And I know it may be a loaded question, but what plastic should I buy my first Comet in?

I was thinking of getting one of these. Also I don't really throw any Discraft either now a days so Im not a pro with knowing the subtleties between plastics.

That depends on what your Comet goals are. If you want an OAT detector, go for a light weight X Comet. As you go up in weight or into premium plastic like the Big Z throwback you are interested in, expect something nice and stable.

I'm up to 6 Comets now. I've got a disc problem :p

That depends on what your Comet goals are. If you want an OAT detector, go for a light weight X Comet. As you go up in weight or into premium plastic like the Big Z throwback you are interested in, expect something nice and stable.

I'm up to 6 Comets now. I've got a disc problem :p

Thank you, and what I was looking for and what I hear they are great for is their neutrality. I want it to go straight (and a OAT detector :p ) and or slow turnovers for approaches.

Thanks

Thank you, and what I was looking for and what I hear they are great for is their neutrality. I want it to go straight (and a OAT detector :p ) and or slow turnovers for approaches.

Thanks

Definitely 168-170g X Comet. Touch of hyzer and thrown cleanly and it will go straight forever. Flat release it will slowly slide understable. Anhyzer + height and it will turn around a corner. Heavier ESP can be thrown flat and be pretty darn neutral. Never liked Z; uncomfortable to grip and a touch more stable than I like.

Thanks

Be careful... you will like, fall in lust, and maybe in love that 169ish elite x-comet then get very curious ...

which leads to buying many more comets in different varieties.

Personally I had/have the new run ESP, Big Z Retro, two elite X (max weight and a 169), a Z (max weight). and my new love - a *max weight 3rd run Limited Edition ESP.

The most amazing shots I've experienced on the course were with the max weight elite-x when you don't hold back but throw with good form. You can really shape lines and do those float-y-glides-forever tunnel shots with them. The best ones are the semi-turnover shots that make you look opposite handed because they hold that perfect opposite curve/fade the whole way (I'm talking over 250ft the whole way).

The only "bad" part of the elite-x is that they do beat in (they're actually very durable more durable than pro innova plastic almost echo star plastic like). So you get curious to find that premium plastic version for longevities sake.

I don't see any tooling on the back (which the first two runs had). Looks like a 3rd (and last) run to me. Probably my favorite of the LE runs.

my 3rd run ESP Comet really is a sweetspot right now. Is a slightly more overstable version of my current max weight elite-X. So straight and will hold line with sometimes zero fade.

I've noticed the the Z/big Z comets/Current run ESP that they're just as straight as other comets but once they slow down they do fade a lot harder.

I just re-claimed my old x comet.. I haven't thrown it much as it's red and I can't see red discs very well but I will see how i do regardless

I'm in the process of finding a couple replacements for my rocs because all of this winter/snow-nonsense. :) I threw comets a while back, but since my form is better and getting way better distance with mids so i'm wondering... I use my rocs up to 300' with not much of an effort. I want to replace my straight-stable and my slight hyzerflip to turnover rocs for the winter. Which comets are we talking about, 175 Z and X?

In my round today I was reminded what I love about my X Comet. I can rip it high, hard and clean and it turns dependably hard, but no "turn and burn" ........only turn and glide!!!

I used to use a 178 Z comet for my understable midrange shots and it worked very well but I have been throwing Z meteors for understable mids since they were released because I found that I prefer it overall. My first one is now very worn and flys wonderfully and I bought a fresh one now that I was missing. However I traded for a slightly worn old X saturn comet that sat around for a long time until I decided to throw it around for fun and I have found it excellent for understable midrange shots that I throw with less speed. I could throw a worn clutch for the same shot but the comet flys a little bit further. Now I want an MJ/Big Z one...

I only played with the X for a short while, I just never threw it on the courses I play. I'm keeping it though, I can really trust it to turn over (but so does my old beat up meteor). On my courses I prefer a max weight, very domey big Z or Z comets. Buuut I still prefer my really old beat up Z buzzz and two Z meteors so I haven't bagged my z comet in well over a year :\.

Recently just turned a couple buddies of mine onto comets. One of them just switched to all Discraft and needed an understable mid. The other had been throwing meteors and Buzzz ss's and every time he went to power one down it wouldn't turn, or it would fade too hard, or both. So now he has a Comet in his bag so he has something that he can power down and it'll still fly like it should.

Are there any profile pics of a Z Comet in this thread? Just by itself or next to a Z Buzzz

Tried to search and came up empty...thinking about buying one and just want to see the profile shape. I will have to order it online so, toutchy-feely is not an option.

what's the best way to find beefy comets? PLH? Domey? The new ones I've picked up have are flippy out of the box.

Dome is generally a good indicator. Domey Z Comets and the domier 3rd Run LE ESPs are pretty overstable...for a Comet. I've heard the Big Zs are also but most I've seen are on the flatter side so that might not be the best indicator anymore. I haven't thrown any of mine to verify that though.

I have two Z Comets. 1 - 175g and the other 178g. The Comet is new to me this past year and is already one of my all time favorite molds. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 179g ESP.

domier 3rd Run LE ESPs are pretty overstable

^^ Truth ^^ I have a couple of 3rd run ESP Comets that are a stiffer ESP that are domier than previous runs and they are more like a .5 instead of 0 on the Discraft scale. I love throwing them on hyzer lines for anything under 330 because of the stability and glide. Just fantastic.

I have a couple of BigZ's in the closet, but haven't thrown them yet because of my love for those ESP's.

The Midnight Z-Comets are also some of my favorites. I've got one that has close to three seasons on it, nicknamed Black Magic. It continues to amaze me with the lines I can throw it on.

what's the best way to find beefy comets? PLH? Domey? The new ones I've picked up have are flippy out of the box.

Dome is generally a good indicator. Domey Z Comets and the domier 3rd Run LE ESPs are pretty overstable...for a Comet. I've heard the Big Zs are also but most I've seen are on the flatter side so that might not be the best indicator anymore. I haven't thrown any of mine to verify that though.
The sad fact is that the real way to get a beefier flight out of a Comet is to slow down and throw smooth. It really is the most form sensitive disc I've ever used. With the flat Comets it's not so much that they are less stable as it is that they are bitchier. I can get the same exact flight out of a flat X Comet as I can a heavy domey Z, but my margin for error is less. I tend to use flat Comets for field work; once I can hook them up I know my form is cleaning up. I generally don't bag them, though. The Comets in my bag all have some dome as they are more consistent and dependable.