• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

my comet i bought off the MP for form check is a domey hunk of poop. high shoulder. so the x comets are the flat money?

glad i'm not the only one with that experience. i was sorely disappointed. x comets are all i bother with now! :thmbup:

one of my Z comets had a huge shoulder and the start of the dome was there . . . and then a flat circle in the middle. flippy POS.

I was shocked at how flippy my flat Zs were. I'm not a power thrower by any means either. I wound up giving them to a friend who was introducing his kids to the game. They loved them.

The revival of this thread is making me want to put one of my old ESPs in the bag. It might be fun to see if it can bench my Gauge.

Domey = hunk of poop? Generally I prefer flat discs to domey, but the exception is Comets. I never felt super comfortable gripping them, but they flew so well I dealt with it.

Sorry you don't like yours, mex. I'll try to remember to look at what I have laying around for a flatty when I get home tonight.

i am weird and love slim profiles. the comet sometimes gets to me with the high shoulder. i think maybe im spoiled from my flat buzzes and flat wasps.

i dont throw a teebird cuz there not consistently flat haha. i throw stalkers instead.

flat comets are super flippy?

ill suck it up then and stop complaining haha. my meteor and hornet have a slight shoulder but nothing i cant tame. for some reason the comet seems to have more of a shoulder that bugs me.

It's the underside that causes issues for me. I have small hands, and it feels like I'm reaching inside Jenna Jameson to get to the flightplate of a Comet.

It's the underside that causes issues for me. I have small hands, and it feels like I'm reaching inside Jenna Jameson to get to the flightplate of a Comet.

thats....exactly right hahaha. its kinda bulky i feel like. but its such a effortless flight though for the bulky feeling. last time i did field work (which was in spring) i was able to outdrive my stalkers in a tailwind with the comet. that thing just doesnt stop gliding.

Yeah, I hated the feel of them at first but I got used to it as they fly so awesome.

Me too. I have gotten 2 more in the last few weeks I am loving them so much.

Chained out with one today. So close! I think that it ricocheted back off the pole and out.

Opposite of ProtoDave and Brody, my Big-Z's are not as flippy than my other comets.

from most flippy to least flippy:

X
CryZtal
ESP
Z
Big Z & Z Glow

Any dome on yours?

I avoid flat low shoulder comets at all costs. all of mine are high shouldered. My Big Z's are high shoulder but have a flat center. They fly spectacularly. Most Cryztals i've thrown are flat/concave flippy turds.

FWIW, i don't like truely understable mids. I'd rather have neutral mids and thus why i like the high shoulder domey comets.

This. I have had flat Z Comets that make X Comets look like Firebirds.
Yeah, any flat ones are flippy glideless turds.

glad i'm not the only one with that experience. i was sorely disappointed. x comets are all i bother with now! :thmbup:

one of my Z comets had a huge shoulder and the start of the dome was there . . . and then a flat circle in the middle. flippy POS.
No way, i don't believe it! I mean, i believe you, but unless the thing was a beaten and battered red-headed step child, i have a hard time not jumping on the "OAT" card for this one.

my comet i bought off the MP for form check is a domey hunk of poop. high shoulder. so the x comets are the flat money?
Go X if you're wanting an understable comet. Again i prefer the neutral comets.

mega-lol's :hfive:

Dear red 170g X Comet,

I fully and utterly apologize. I never should have taken you out of the bag. It was me, not you. Your wonderfully straight flying nature cannot be replicated with other discs. I beg for your forgiveness and promise not to stray away again.

Sincerely,

That Guy That Cheated But Wants You Back

I can't wait to throw this newly acquired baby:

max 180+g weight limited edition first run ESP Comet.

15208413790_bb08cee9ed_c.jpg

^it really has more of a pronounced pointed dome compared to the modern runs of ESP Comets (which can actually run flat). I loooove my elite-X comets but they're starting to show a lot of wear (because I love to use them for tight wooded tunnel shots).

if any other of you comet lovers out there are interested in one I can try to get them for you. I paid about $27 for mine but noticed that they only have lower 170g and higher 160g left in colors like orange/red. They all seem to have that cool pointed dome.

I don't see any tooling on the back (which the first two runs had). Looks like a 3rd (and last) run to me. Probably my favorite of the LE runs.

Plastic, shoulder, and dome are the biggest with color choices in there for good measure.

Didnt i explain this to u or was it someone else?might of been someone else but i remember having this conversation recently.

anywho,

1st runs - have tooling - chalky/tacky plastic - high shoulder - domey - kinda stiff
2nd runs - flatter- slicker/softer blend of esp - low shoulder- have tooling - most were not domey
3rd runs - domey and flat - soft blend esp - no tooling - high shoulder

I don't see any tooling on the back (which the first two runs had). Looks like a 3rd (and last) run to me. Probably my favorite of the LE runs.

thanks for the correction/info! I probably have a 3rd run LE ESP comet then.

I actually kind of remember when I read through the whole thread about the different ESP comets before it was re-released.

I was hesitant to get yet another comet (especially something OOP that'll be a pain to replace if I fall in love), but couldn't resist.

Last edited:
I have a new ESP Comet and Elite X Comet, both of which have the new style tooling in the rim (same as the big Z discs).

I don't know how you all can keep track of the runs. Unless you have insider info from the factory, I'd guess that you are speculating.