• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

i'm not saying i'm perfect or anything but I don't think it's my form. i have a standard z, ghost stamp z, new esp (production) and a glo z. the first one can handle plenty of power, kinda like an Ontario roc and can handle a decent amount of wind. the others turnover a little on the same hyzer line even though they're brand new. not sure about the esp off the top of my head but the other two flippy/touchy ones both have COMET etched into the rim, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

The sad fact is that the real way to get a beefier flight out of a Comet is to slow down and throw smooth. It really is the most form sensitive disc I've ever used. With the flat Comets it's not so much that they are less stable as it is that they are bitchier. I can get the same exact flight out of a flat X Comet as I can a heavy domey Z, but my margin for error is less. I tend to use flat Comets for field work; once I can hook them up I know my form is cleaning up. I generally don't bag them, though. The Comets in my bag all have some dome as they are more consistent and dependable.

Sounds like I need to revisit a flatty.

and flippy probably isn't the best description, just a touch less HSS.

Just had to brag and say I finally got a Comet ace last week, been so close many times. I truly love this disc.

Here to say that I am now part of the Comet army. Picked up a max weight X Comet from the local shop a few weeks ago and I am truly impressed. It feels perfect in my hand the plastic feels almost like a soft Star blend, just not as durable, and has surprised me at how well it has taken tree hits compared to what Im used to with comparable plastic blends.

Flies like a dream too, has really opened up my left to right game with my back hand as well as those super straight shots that have been my bane at a few of my local courses. The only issue so far is its glide did cause it to overshoot the basket a few time, but I think that will get better the more I use it.

i'm not saying i'm perfect or anything but I don't think it's my form. i have a standard z, ghost stamp z, new esp (production) and a glo z. the first one can handle plenty of power, kinda like an Ontario roc and can handle a decent amount of wind. the others turnover a little on the same hyzer line even though they're brand new. not sure about the esp off the top of my head but the other two flippy/touchy ones both have COMET etched into the rim, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

and flippy probably isn't the best description, just a touch less HSS.
It's funny how much differently "flippy" and "a touch less HSS" can be interpreted. The flat ones may be a touch less HSS; I really have to slow down and smooth out my arm motion to get those to fly on a true line. Maybe I get less snap on those throws resulting in less turn but all that glide evens it out in the end? Anyway, calling a Comet "a touch less HSS" doesn't make me want to argue with people like calling them "flippy."

Anyway, I don't want to be a flat Comet defender. I don't bag them, and I have not purchased a new ESP because they seem too flat. I loves me a domey Comet.

Why would somebody want a flat Comet? It's like non alcoholic beer.

Why would somebody want a flat Comet? It's like non alcoholic beer.

yeah right? omg yeah wow sounds stupid

who ever has a flat comet, pref in x should send it to me so i can properly dispose of the piece of poop. no one in their right mind should throw such a dud of a disc

Oddly enough I find myself reaching more and more for my comet than any other midrange. I have a buzzz that is probably my number two but the comet overlaps a lot of those throws. It's beautiful to watch that disc when I get the right motion and speed.....

Oddly enough I find myself reaching more and more for my comet than any other midrange. I have a buzzz that is probably my number two but the comet overlaps a lot of those throws. It's beautiful to watch that disc when I get the right motion and speed.....

The only thing a Comet needs is a disc that can handle winds. In calm conditions it's the only mid you should reach for because it can work almost any line

The only thing a Comet needs is a disc that can handle winds. In calm conditions it's the only mid you should reach for because it can work almost any line

Funny you should mention it, yesterday I was exclusively using the Wasp and Comet. It is hard for me to drop my meteor and buzzz (i could drop the meteor a lot easier than the buzzz) but the buzzz just holds a special part of my heart....

I have a question for the comet experts around here. When you are talking about getting a really straight flight out of them are you throwing them nose up or nose down? Because when I throw them nose up they are really straight ,b it when I throw them nose down they are quite a bit more understable. I was wondering if this was typical.

a nose up throw is always going to cause the disc to rise and be more stable. but to get a comet lazer straight u can throw it with a tiny hyzer and it will go straight the entire way. its a disc that really likes hyzer releases

My straightest comet shots are with a bit of hyzer and nose neutral or a tiny bit nose down.

I know this has been asked before several times but I can't find it. How do you tell the difference between the runs of ESP comets? Was it color or tooling or what?

Didnt i explain this to u or was it someone else?might of been someone else but i remember having this conversation recently.

anywho,

1st runs - have tooling - chalky/tacky plastic - high shoulder - domey - kinda stiff
2nd runs - flatter- slicker/softer blend of esp - low shoulder- have tooling - most were not domey
3rd runs - domey and flat - soft blend esp - no tooling - high shoulder

here you go.

So I dropped the Comet to go back to cycling rocs. I more than occasionally found myself thinking, "this would be easier to reach with a comet", or "man I wish I had the comet for this hole, I would rather point and shoot than finesse a disc in right now"...
Yes I know generally comets are considered finesse discs, but a seasoned roc on a hyzerflip sometimes just seems touchier than throwing a lazer with a comet.

So I am carrying rocs and comets right now, and reach for my comets much more often, it may just be trust, but I still am wondering why I stopped throwing them. Thats how I feel every time I go back to them.

That said, what stable/overstable mid are you guys complimenting your comets with?
Roc? Roc3? hornet? wasp? stable buzz? (i feel buzzz often overlaps my comet too much) Something from legacy, prodigy or triology?

TI wasp>straight to slightly overstable z wasp>straight to slightly understable z wasp>z comet