• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Is that a Z or Big Z Comet? They supposedly released 100 Big Z with the old Saturn stamp. I say supposedly 100 because, when they were in stores, they were everywhere and stayed there for way longer than I'd think a limited run of 100 should be on shelves without selling out. Either way, it's a beautiful stamp on some wonderful feeling plastic.

OK, perhaps I should start a thread, but I am going to thread-jack for a moment. Other than the stamp, what is the difference in Z and Big Z?

In general, I've found Big Z to be gummier and a little "grippier" (whatever that means). Some say it's a blend between TI and Z.

Not saying this is the hard and fast rule, but the Big Z Comets I've seen have all been low shouldered and mildly domed to flat(ish).

I got lucky and found a nicely domed Big Z with a nice PLH. It is the equal of any of the good Z or Glows I looked through, it definitely helps to buy in person with a huge selection. I would stick to Z if I had to buy online though, a lot of the Big Z's do seem to turn out like tbird describes.

I've thrown a bunch of comets and all the glows that I tried have been flat, flippy and somewhat glideless for a comet. I always look for the biggest dome, and in my case, that has been the best indicator for 0 HSS. I have actually never even compared comets PLH, even though I always check that out on other discs.

Page 196. Guess it's time I jump in on the Comet discussion. I'm fairly new to "serious" disc golf, though I've owned (and loved) Discraft for ~10 years. Alas, I have never thrown a Comet. I've been bagging a Z Buzzz and Z Hornet for a few months now (which is a darn good mids combo, methinks), and recently bought a Drone only to find out I need to go the other direction in terms of stability. SO, I just ordered Fly Dye Comet online as my Comet initiation. Did I make the wrong decision? Have you guys liked Fly Dye models?

^^^youll love it, just give it time. Don't expect magical gold off the first bat. The comet takes time to learn and understand, but once it clicks its in forever.

The comet is like that amazing girl, you really want, but has to be wooed. Hot yes. Smart yes. Wiling to bend in multiple directions, yes. Able to do things no other girl has ever done, or will do, yes. That's why I love the comet.

Wow, that got weird.

The comet takes time to learn and understand

I clicked with it immediately. Possibly the shortest learning curve I've ever had with a mold that was new to me. It was the first disc that I could comfortably use for BH anhyzers and distance hyzer-flips.

Do most people find the Comet difficult to learn at first?

I didn't.

I avoided buying one for the longest time as I thought my form might be so bad that I might feel embarrassed by it. Took only a few throws to get the general feel of it and after that I was comfortable trying all kinds of shots with it.

I've got three of them now and play lots of comet only rounds, or I pit it against another mid, (Mako, Truth, Panther) to see which one wins. Makes a great way to break up the routine.

I first tried a Comet shortly after they came out, guessing '95 or '96. It was really similar to an Ontario Roc, which at that time the Ontario Roc was THE Roc. There was no learning curve, it was a stable midrange that flew more-or-less just like the mid that was already in my bag. The only thing I heard people bitch about then was that some players prefered the hard Innova-type plastic the Hawk was run in VS the Tourney Pro that the Comet was run in. I threw Cyclones and they were run in the same stuff so the plastic never bothered me.

Fast forward a dozen years and the Interwebz and suddenly all sorts of people are saying that the Comet is a touchy turnover mid. Lol...it's a touchy turnover mid if all you can do is torque monkey over on everything. If your form is decent, they are fine. No real learning curve other than what you would get with any disc.

wish i could throw all my molds with the same confidence that i do with the Comet... would be magical lol

My Z is my go-to for all of my midrange shots. Roc only comes out when it's windy or a need some aggressive fade outside of that the Comet can handle everything.

Wooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww
She's perfect!!! Color, stamp, plastic, everything!

I'm rather fond of her myself!! :D

Is that a Z or Big Z Comet? They supposedly released 100 Big Z with the old Saturn stamp. I say supposedly 100 because, when they were in stores, they were everywhere and stayed there for way longer than I'd think a limited run of 100 should be on shelves without selling out. Either way, it's a beautiful stamp on some wonderful feeling plastic.

How do I tell? The guys at PIAS (I have some knowledgeable guys at mine) seemed to think it was old and original after feeling the plastic. It's pretty gummy.

I think they were a Big Z run with that retro Saturn stamp.

If that's the case, how do I tell? I just want to know if this is a disc that I should keep/hang/sell or start throwing it lol

It's 168g, BTW