• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

the comets aren't hard to throw per se...they are actually easy to throw well...but if you are having an off day the comet will let you know immediately.

so on those days where you're over torquing it a little, or your follow through isn't on the same throw plane you intended the line to be [the comet] will do exactly what your form dictated....

which can be frustrating because you can get inside your own head and try to force yourself to throw "good form" (which can be exaggerating something else rather than just throwing it well) and compounding your issues...

I still love the comet though... I just bough two more elite x ones do do field work before rounds/tourneys with....

Across the top it says, comet by discraft inc walled wake MI 48590

Bottom says licensed under US Patent Number 4568297

That's it.

That's almost certainly an older one (Elite Z, not Big Z) then. I'll have to dig out my Big Zs, but I believe they have the current tooling.

I knew they'd stamped Zs with the older Elite X stamp, but I didn't know they did the Saturn stamp too. Now I want one... Nice find!

2015-09-23%2014.45.59.jpg

Soooo... I found this old guy in the used bin at PIAS.

Thoughts? Value? It's an easy 8.5-9/10. Looks like it may have been thrown twice in a field. No scratches, dings, or scrapes on the stamp. Not necessarily looking to sell, but I'm not up on my old DC values so thought I'd ask the experts here! :D

its a big z retro stamp. it was released this year in limited numbers. i bought one when they came out. some had just plain monocrhome stamps (like mine) and some had nice multicolor foil stamps too (like yours :thmbup: ).

they're a little beefier/more OS than normal elite z comets if max weight. at high 160's then you'll have the typical comet flight.

16296580696_2310d57a06_z.jpg

Check the tooling on that Comet please if you're close to it. I'm guessing it doesn't have the same tooling as his.

I'm rather fond of her myself!! :D

How do I tell? The guys at PIAS (I have some knowledgeable guys at mine) seemed to think it was old and original after feeling the plastic. It's pretty gummy.

If that's the case, how do I tell? I just want to know if this is a disc that I should keep/hang/sell or start throwing it lol

It's 168g, BTW

Let me know if your interested in selling/trading it. I'm a bit of a Comet hound and local to you.

That's almost certainly an older one (Elite Z, not Big Z) then. I'll have to dig out my Big Zs, but I believe they have the current tooling.

I knew they'd stamped Zs with the older Elite X stamp, but I didn't know they did the Saturn stamp too. Now I want one... Nice find!

It was marked Elite Z on the tag. That doesn't mean a whole lot at a PIAS but like I said, those guys are legit and they were pretty sure it was an old one. I got the feeling if I didn't snag it right then, it would have been swiped by one of those guys before it made it back into the bin! ;)

I'm definitely leaning towards hanging it, and not throwing it. Even if it's not rare or valuable, it sure is purdy and a worthy piece of wall art!

OK, so... that pink disc? It's one of these:

picture.php

Not Big Z w/retro stamp. Not Elite Z. Not Elite X. Not Pro D. Your correct answer is Tournament Pro; the stamp wasn't retro when they made that disc. It's going to date from someplace between 1995 and 2001.

I have a couple TP Comets with the Saturn stamp.

They are great throwers but I shelved them due to rising prices on new ones.

I went out today and threw my z comets against my cryztal comets. If you guys don't like the cryztals I'll gladly trade for them. Exact same flight for me.

I have a couple TP Comets with the Saturn stamp.

They are great throwers but I shelved them due to rising prices on new ones.
The funny thing with tournament stamped discs is that they don't hold the value of the stock stamped stuff.

This one is a TP Comet from '97. It has a fraction of the value it would have if it had the stock stamp. Bonus for me; I can still throw it if I wanted to. :thmbup:

My go to Comets

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1443490488966.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1443490488966.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 63
Anyone had any qualms with the tye dye Z's.

I like the fact their is no stamp in the middle to push the dome down. Just some small stamping along the lower edge of the flight plate.

Also, I currently don't have any fly dye discs. Yet another excuse to buy more plastic-like I needed it.

Anyhow I willing to foot the bill on a shootout btw. the DD truth. I know the comet is great used to throw it some ten plus years ago but I really want to revisit again. And you know you can't have enough beaded straight flying mids no matter what the brand.

Lastly, if anyone has the vintage stamp re-release comet I would love to have. As this is what my old comets looked like. Also, the blank top black/smoke comets are second on the dream list as well.