• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I have an older x comet that is more stable than my newer one. The newer one is nice but the plastic is a little slippery.

The X-plastic for the past few years has started out a bit slick but gets all tacky as it beats in. You'll see it start losing the sheen within the first few months of throwing it.

i felt one of the new stamps ones up for the first time this weekend.. plastic looked pretty nice but yeah didnt seem to be near as grippy as the few olders ones i have.. lil slick and some flex to it.. not a ton but a lil bit. but i do have some older ones that are stiff and some lil softer too but still havent had a chance to throw one

I haven't thrown my newer Comet enough to know how it breaks in--and it is a bit slippery. I bought one a couple of months ago though, with the older Comet stamp and it started out a little slick and now has a very grippy matte feeling. I'm hoping the new Comet I bought gets there too once I put it into use.

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago, so I'm assuming it has the new stamp. I've thrown both that and my friend's z comet, and to me it seems that the x is a little more glidey. That's just my opinion.

for anyone that doesn't like the slickness of the plastic, leave it outside in your yard for a few weeks. i've been doing this with my putters (especially kc pro plastic) and it makes the break in time much faster. it gets to that $$ grip spot in no time.

Just got a Z line Comet in the mail. Haven't thrown it yet, but it sure is pretty. No flaws in it, whatsoever. The flight plate is absolutely perfect and stinkin' beautiful. This is my first Z line purchase, so I wonder, is this what I can expect as the norm from Discraft?

Update: Threw it... Dig it! Some of what I read about the Comet before I received it suggested it would show flaws in my form, so I expected to have to work with it a while to get good flight from it. Apparently my form is not too awful, 'cause it flies nice for me and I can place it very accurately. It doesn't like a headwind quartering from the left, but that's an overstable discs job, so I use my River powered down for those shots. Comet love? Yes.

I still want to hear what others think of Discraft's abilty to mold plastic. My Comet Z is beautiful and I want to know if I just got lucky and was sent an exceptional disc. It looks to be far better, manufacturing wise, than discs I've seen from other companies.

Keep throwing that Comet man, if you dig it now, wait til you get used to it!

My Z-Comet is my Go-To disc. If I don't know what I should do, I generally pull out the Comet. Eventually, you can shape it exactly how you want it. Monday I glanced off 2 sets of chains and managed 2 eagles in the first 9 holes, the Comet was the reason.

I have a story (borderline supernatural) about mine that I figured belongs here more so than anywhere else:

I was playing my regular course after work one day, I was just finishing up number 18, literally just wishing I had a disc that would act like a longer, straighter Buzzz. My mind was cluttered when I ran up and I launched my orange Katana (removed from the bag now) directly into the very highest thick point of an evergreen tree, notoriously known as a disc eater, it never came down. I was frustrated, but determined to get the darn thing. I saw a bit of orange, near the very top. I dropped my bag and began climbing, luckily it's not too difficult until about halfway up. I found my Katana at that point, interestingly, I could see a patch of pink further up. I got to the highest point I safely could and started shaking the branch the pink disc was on, it finally fell and I climbed down to retrieve it.

It turned out to be a candy pink Z Comet. I laughed at the domey monster and flipped it over to see a name scribbled across it with a number. I called the number and left a voicemail, and sat in the parking lot to wait for the call back. I got bored and decided to try it out while I waited. My very first throw caught a tailwind and flew just past the basket I had a rough time reaching with my drivers at the time. I was floored. I missed the putt and moved on to the next hole, a tight little tree lined 320' dead straight. I decided to give it another try while I had it and sure enough, I smacked the pole after a short skip. I didn't even putt out before walking back to the truck to make a note of the weight, plastic, and even a small sketch of the dome, in case I needed to find another one and it happened to be one of those miracle odd run or a mistakenly misformed disc (it turned out to be a just little more domey than most I've found). After an hour, I didn't get a call back, so I plopped it in my bag and went home.

The next day after work I called again, leaving another voicemail, it had just rained enough so I couldn't play, and I spent part of the evening looking in the local shop and found several similar, but not quite the same. Still no call back.

The third day was a Saturday and I got up, stoked to play, about halfway through the round, I got the call. The owner said he a lot of four letter words while describing the disc and the tree and told me that he tossed it in the tree to get rid of it (only because the lake was 600' in the opposite direction of his car). He told me it was a piece of crap and his advice was to burn it.

I didn't and I've been throwing it regularly ever since. I jokingly call it my "Karma-met" since I throw it so well after actually trying to return it. (Unfortunately a rarity in this community)

Last edited:
^nice comet story. :thmbup:

I just recently made another comet purchase.

My older X Comet had gotten so beat that it would turn way too much and was only needed on certain shots and get of jail shots.So I went to the local shop.I couldn't find the old stamp(with the comet flaming) so I picked up one of the newer X Comets with just the name across the center.

The next day I took it to the Local course and just played 2 rounds only with the new comet and my putter.When I first started using it the disc was very slick and thought "man this isn't going as planned".In the middle of the 2nd round the disc changed.I had great grip and the disc was getting easier to control due to the grip.

This new X Comet goes great with my Z Comet and my beat to death old one.The newer X comet has more turn than my Z and it's pretty easy to up the turn or turn down the turn.It took only 27 holes to get it where I want it.Hopefully it will stay that way for while.:thmbup:

I love the Axis, but I keep reaching for my X Comet. It has awesome glide. This disc loves to fly.

I love the Axis, but I keep reaching for my X Comet. It has awesome glide. This disc loves to fly.

Yes it does and far.

The other day before my shoulder injury I decided to throw it on a higher line than normal and man I think I got 40 to 50ft more out the thing.It's pretty awesome how many lines this disc works good at.

Keep throwing that Comet man, if you dig it now, wait til you get used to it!

This is proving true.

I have a Z Avenger coming to replace my D Avenger that I like so well. I'm hoping to see the same quality in manufacturing that my Comet has shown.

Sad but true story:

I lived in a little town called Genoa, IL. There are a couple of courses close to there now, but at the time there was nothing so I used to set up a basket in the railroad right of way behind my house and throw. The property line was marked with a line of spruce trees, so from time to time I'd get discs stuck up in them.

When I moved to Illinois I converted from Comets to Rocs because it was windy up there and throwing Rocs was easier than learning to throw in the wind, so I had a bunch of Comets I wasn't throwing anymore. Nice old Tournament Pro Comets. I used to get bored and try to throw turnover lines with the Comets in my back yard and a bunch got stuck up in the trees.

I had a riding lawnmower and sometimes after the wind had blown hard I would be riding it and CRUNCH! I'd run over a Comet that had blown out of the trees into the yard. I ran over three of four that way. At the time I didn't think it was that big of a deal; I had a stack of them and I didn't throw them anymore.

Now I throw Comets again and most of my TP Comets are cracked or lost, and I kinda wish I had those Comets I ran over with the lawnmower. :(

I also hit a train with a bullet-stamped XD. The train won, in case you were wondering.

Quick question, sorry I don't have the patience to read 118 pages of comet love.

Is the stock Z-Comet the comet everyone is in love with? If I drive myself down to Clearwater Disc golf store and buy a neon green 171 Z comet, will this be the same one everyone has preached love for?

Or do I have to find a domey comet that enjoys long walks on the beach?

yes z comet!
I don't know about 171, I throw heavies. Throw whatever weight your other discs are.

All discs like walks on the beaches.

Quick question, sorry I don't have the patience to read 118 pages of comet love.

Is the stock Z-Comet the comet everyone is in love with? If I drive myself down to Clearwater Disc golf store and buy a neon green 171 Z comet, will this be the same one everyone has preached love for?

Or do I have to find a domey comet that enjoys long walks on the beach?

one of each. my mid range shots are: 50% z-comet, 40% x-comet, and 10% wasp. (z's a little more stable)