• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Is there a consensus for weight of Z Comets?

I threw a 170 X that needs to be replaced b/c it's warped to a taco - it seems like 170 is the consensus weight for that plastic. Thinking about a Comet in Z for more durability, that will beat in to dead-straight - much like a Teebird will. Other mids I have thrown are 175, but I'm trying to move to 150's for fairways. I'm thinking either 170ish or going max weight. My bag thread. (post 13 is current bag) Thoughts?

I threw a 170 X that needs to be replaced b/c it's warped to a taco - it seems like 170 is the consensus weight for that plastic. Thinking about a Comet in Z for more durability, that will beat in to dead-straight - much like a Teebird will. Other mids I have thrown are 175, but I'm trying to move to 150's for fairways. I'm thinking either 170ish or going max weight. My bag thread. (post 13 is current bag) Thoughts?

A new X comet in the low 170s should be straight as an arrow off the shelf. Why wait 1-2 years (or longer) to try and season a Z comet to do the same thing?

170 and under is really great in Elite X for exposing form flaws, but it's hardly the only decent weight in that plastic. Try an Elite X at 175 if that's the weight you like.

get an elite x for immediate results, but get a z as well and start breaking it in. they don't take too long to get to a $$ spot.

Thinking about a Comet in Z for more durability, that will beat in to dead-straight - much like a Teebird will.

Thoughts?

The moderately domed max weight Z Comets I've thrown start out stable/neutral when you throw them approximately 225'-300'. There's no need to season 'em for years like a Champ Teebird to tame the fade on them. X Comets are equally stable when new, but obviously beat in a lot faster to become turnover mids and are a little more tolerant to nose up (but at the same time less tolerant of nose down).

Nice thread Scoot_er!
Yeah, I guess you could call me a Comet Lover! ;)

I don't like playing tournaments. Not my "cup of tea". So I play rec rounds and I play with lots of different people; lots of time these are random people I happen to meet at hole #1.

There are a few things that *coincidentally* tons of DGers are looking for in their ideal disc: dead straight, little to no fade, a disc that will go to the right, buckets of glide, sweet flightpaths without having to first beat the disc, and highly accurate.

The Comet is a truly unique disc; I believe it fills all these voids in peoples' bags. The downside to the Comet is that unless you come from a lid/Ultimate background, there will most likely be a steep learning curve involved.

I have recommended ths disc to zillions of people. Some of those people buy one, others try mine. I have seen sooooo many people's first throws with the Comet. Most of the time they throw it very badly. The disc dives to the right, goes roller and I hear, "oh no, this disc is waaay too flippy for me." Then I take the disc from them and throw a 300'+ laserbeam to illustrate that the disc is more than capable if you take the time to learn it's nuances. That will usually impress them.

I am not trying to brag that I have a huge arm- I don't; the Comets use their tons of glide to get out that far.

I am not trying to say that I have flawless technique. Again, I don't; but I do have countless hours throwing Comets in field practice and on the course so my form is necessarily cleaner than some other DGers.

What I am trying to say is that there are huge rewards waiting for you if you take the time to fully learn the Comet. Indeed, as Scoot_er already mentioned, your newly improved form will carry over to your other discs and they will also fly cleaner and further.

So even if the Comet doesn't stay in your bag, KEEP IT. It is at least useful as a diagnostic tool. As you realize OAT creeping back into your game, blow the dust off of your Comets and do some spring cleaning to your technique. Then go back to throwing your regular bag with improved results.

As a side note, most Comet Lovers I know didn't like the Comet when they first tried it. But they kept the disc, played for a year or two without it and then came back to it. I guess their form improved in between the first audition and the second so the disc plays more nicely the second time around. This is exactly how I rediscovered the Comet. Haven't looked back since.

Comet buyers guide
most overstable to least overstable:
Sparkle Z RRs- most overstable by a fair bit but they are still not even close to a new DX Roc
Old run Elite Z (stamped with the current Elite X stamp)- barely *but noticeably* more overstable than the new Z runs
New run Elite Z(stamped with the current circle stamp)
Tourney Pro- about the same stability as ESP but break in faster; I don't have much experience with these, ask Three Putt about them if you are interested.
ESP LE- about the same stability as TP but break in slower
Elite X- initially fairly overstable but break in to buttery goodness quickly. Too quickly for some peoples' taste.

BTW, because of their overstability and relative torque resistance the Zs are not recommended as a diagnostic tool. Elite X works really well for this... and they are cheap! If you can get an X to fly straight for 300' then you are doing very well and you can pat yourself on the back.

Its not all roses- I don't want to lie to you. There are drawbacks to the Comet; here are a few. Because they are so straight, they don't teach you to play the fade of the disc. Because of their glide it can be more difficult to range them. Because of their straightness they won't stall around a corner nearly as well as other discs. Because they turn sooooo slowly they won't do multidirection shots nearly as well as other discs. Headwinds are tricky. Shots like these can be done with the Comet but it takes much more careful manipulation. Even though I don't have money riding on my rounds (like I said, I don't do many tourneys) I won't take a chance on a low percentage shot that my Comet doesn't naturally like when I have a disc in my bag that will do it much more readily.

This brings me to my last section, disc selection. Keep in mind that I play a super heavily wooded course that doesn't have much wind if at all. When I carry carry my normal weight bag (right now I only throw 150 class) I always have at least my beat 174 Elite X and my beat 176 ESP. They are a handsomely matched pair because the X is truly understable and the ESP is still very neutral despite 18 months of hard use and tree whacks. The ESP, despite being beat, still has fabulous distance potential and will hold a smooth hyzer when I need it to. I will add a new Z once in a while but I will usually reach for a new DX Roc if I need something more overstable than my ESP. Like I just mentioned, I will usually carry a DX Roc to go with the Comets. This disc opens up a few shots that are difficult with Comets. Stalls around corners, wind play, pulling out of turns, skips, hard turning hyzers, and stuff like that.

Thanks for reading, I know it got pretty long. I feel like this disc is highly underrated and it doesn't usually get a fair shakedown. I hope this review helps answer some questions for those who might be interested in trying it. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the nice read! Answers some questions for me.

I just read about half of that novel that the poster above me was replying to, and then I ran into something I disagree with and had to say something. I have OAT problems. I won't deny it. So I play at least one Comet only round per week and one Opto Pure only round per week. I borrowed a friend's Elite X Comet and immediately hyzer flipped it (and I'm not a hyzer flipper). That's why I bought my current Comet, which is a 9/10 Z Comet, and I would never call it overstable or resistant to torque. Again, I have OAT issues already, but the only disc that turns over on me more than this Z Comet is my Opto Fuse. All other discs fly at least something like their manufacturers claim that they will. Maybe I ran into a "special" Z Comet though. Who knows?

I also would disagree with someone saying that the Comet has a ton of glide, but maybe it does when it's compared to anything else by the big two manufacturers. Nothing glides like Latitude though.

Other than those two points, I'm appreciative of the book that Marmoset just wrote for us on the Comet.

Again, I have OAT issues already, but the only disc that turns over on me more than this Z Comet is my Opto Fuse. All other discs fly at least something like their manufacturers claim that they will. Maybe I ran into a "special" Z Comet though. Who knows?

This is why everyone recommends the Comet for form flaws...because it SHOWS the flaw when other discs don't. If you saw the form flaw in all those other discs, no one would recommend the Comet.

This is why everyone recommends the Comet for form flaws...because it SHOWS the flaw when other discs don't. If you saw the form flaw in all those other discs, no one would recommend the Comet.

Yeah I get that. That's why I have the Comet. It's why I do field work with Pures and Anodes too, because all of those discs turn over more than they should when I don't throw them correctly. My point was that it doesn't fly overstable if it hyzer flips the instant you take it out of the shipping envelope. Seriously. I'll just be sitting there eating dinner with a movie on and the damn Comet is over there hyzer flipping all over the room like a Mexican jumping bean.

Comet

I was out field working while waiting for daughter to finish soccer practice when a work bud rode up on his bike . He grabbed my discs , wondering why are they so different ? Well John, they're like golf clubs and they all fly different . I gave his 8 year old daughter my Comet and she started Bombing it! And chasing it over and over so John and I could catch up on life . Gotta say it's knocked out my new Star Roc ( retired my old one , looks like it might crack ) out of my bag , but I should compare them in case of tourney action .
I will find that little girl a disc cuz she just loved it ! Prolly have to take John out too !

Does anybody know if the newer stamped X Comets that came out like 6 months ago are the same run of Comets with a new stamp, or if they're actually a new run with the new stamp?

I throw x comets in the mid 160's. Mostly 164g. I use it for my workhorse mid.

Does anybody know if the newer stamped X Comets that came out like 6 months ago are the same run of Comets with a new stamp, or if they're actually a new run with the new stamp?

They are likely different runs but i doubt any mold changes occurred.

Fwiw, each time a disc is pressed its considered a run, so two different stamps within the same run are highly unlikely.

Sad but true story:

I lived in a little town called Genoa, IL. There are a couple of courses close to there now, but at the time there was nothing so I used to set up a basket in the railroad right of way behind my house and throw. The property line was marked with a line of spruce trees, so from time to time I'd get discs stuck up in them.

When I moved to Illinois I converted from Comets to Rocs because it was windy up there and throwing Rocs was easier than learning to throw in the wind, so I had a bunch of Comets I wasn't throwing anymore. Nice old Tournament Pro Comets. I used to get bored and try to throw turnover lines with the Comets in my back yard and a bunch got stuck up in the trees.

I had a riding lawnmower and sometimes after the wind had blown hard I would be riding it and CRUNCH! I'd run over a Comet that had blown out of the trees into the yard. I ran over three of four that way. At the time I didn't think it was that big of a deal; I had a stack of them and I didn't throw them anymore.

Now I throw Comets again and most of my TP Comets are cracked or lost, and I kinda wish I had those Comets I ran over with the lawnmower. :(

I also hit a train with a bullet-stamped XD. The train won, in case you were wondering.

was it a bullet train??? ;)

Couple questions:

What are the thoughts on max weight comets (Z or X)? Anyone prefer 180g over something more traditional, like 165, 170 or 175?

Anyone use Comets in conjunction with a Hornet (i.e. Z Hornet, Z and X Comet for mid trio)? Should work fine and be able to hit all lines w/o needing to beat in or cycle DX Rocs or replace a KC Pro.