• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Couple questions:

What are the thoughts on max weight comets (Z or X)? Anyone prefer 180g over something more traditional, like 165, 170 or 175?

Anyone use Comets in conjunction with a Hornet (i.e. Z Hornet, Z and X Comet for mid trio)? Should work fine and be able to hit all lines w/o needing to beat in or cycle DX Rocs or replace a KC Pro.

I carry 4 Comets in different weights. They all fly slightly different. I love my max weight comet for LIGHT headwinds, and bigger hyzers, or a slightly lower line that i need to put some zip on. I carry an 163 X, 175 Z, 177 Z, and 180 Z. I pair them with a 173 Z Wasp, and a 177 Ti Wasp. I think the Wasp pairs better with the Comet because they feel similar in hand.

I've been experimenting with pairing my Comet with an Opto Pain - so far, so good.

B/c of the bead, I take it - I pair mine with a 175 DX Roc for the same reason, but I was feeling some new plastic today and was really surprised how well the Hornet felt.

Yes because of the bead. The rims feel almost identical to me. Obviously the Comet has more dome, but I only really notice that on a fan grip.

I throw an X comet complimented by an axis, warship, and zone. All somewhat different speeds but works as a full range for me

Yes because of the bead. The rims feel almost identical to me. Obviously the Comet has more dome, but I only really notice that on a fan grip.

I think it's also a matter of speed. A Wasp is faster than a Roc, but most pairing recommendations are Roc/Comet more than Wasp/Comet. With a Roc being both beaded and slower, it throws more similarly to a Comet. Adding a Hornet will make you adjust how you throw whenever you grab either.

Of course there are many that say speed doesn't matter, but that's how I see it. Eliminating as many variables as you can will help improve consistency.

I think it's also a matter of speed. A Wasp is faster than a Roc, but most pairing recommendations are Roc/Comet more than Wasp/Comet. With a Roc being both beaded and slower, it throws more similarly to a Comet. Adding a Hornet will make you adjust how you throw whenever you grab either.

Of course there are many that say speed doesn't matter, but that's how I see it. Eliminating as many variables as you can will help improve consistency.

This is probably true. I have just never messed with the Roc due to limited plastic choices/lack of premium plastic. I actually throw the Wasp similar to the Comet, obviously this makes the Wasp act more overstable than say a Buzzz thrower throwing a Wasp. It works out though because the Wasp is only used as a very stable disc/wind disc in my bag anyway. I have 4 Comets in the bag, and they are the workhorse of my mids. I only carry 2 Wasps, a beat Z for overstable and a new max weight Ti for meathook.

I have just never messed with the Roc due to limited plastic choices/lack of premium plastic.

The Roc is available is nearly every plastic Innova makes, including Champ, Gummy Champ, Star, and KC Pro. It can sometimes be expensive, but there are plenty of premium Rocs out there for your enjoyment.

I threw Buzzzes for years, tried a Roc, and promptly sold it because it wasn't what I was wanting it to be. I later bought a Wasp on a whim and fell in love with it. Because it was like a Buzzz, speedwise, it felt like an old friend. I spent a while carrying the Wasp/Comet combo in the mid slot and had trouble with the Comet because my other molds all threw a little faster than the Comet. Knowing the Wasp and Roc were similar, I still never picked up a Roc. I've since tried one again but no longer carry Comets during rounds. I can definitely understand the pairing though. If I went back to Comets on the course, I would probably swap the Wasps for a Roc.

I've read that in this thread and in others, and it makes sense.

I guess what I was thinking was trying match my fairways with a corresponding mid, e.g. Eagle -> Hornet (good glide and fade on each, good for line shaping, can take a lot of power, can handle wind) and Teebird -> Comet (good glide on each, flies straight with little fade, can turn slowly, holds any line you put it on, doesn't tolerate OAT).

There's just so many good disc combos out there or ways to skin the proverbial cat that it drives me a little batty and keeps places like this stocked with questions and thoughts.

The Roc is available is nearly every plastic Innova makes, including Champ, Gummy Champ, Star, and KC Pro. It can sometimes be expensive, but there are plenty of premium Rocs out there for your enjoyment.

Yes but not nearly as available as the Wasp. I can walk into any decent shop/pias and get a premium Wasp. Not so with the Roc, other than the star Sanny I guess, but I wasn't ever a fan of that mold.

I've read that in this thread and in others, and it makes sense.

I guess what I was thinking was trying match my fairways with a corresponding mid, e.g. Eagle -> Hornet (good glide and fade on each, good for line shaping, can take a lot of power, can handle wind) and Teebird -> Comet (good glide on each, flies straight with little fade, can turn slowly, holds any line you put it on, doesn't tolerate OAT).

There's just so many good disc combos out there or ways to skin the proverbial cat that it drives me a little batty and keeps places like this stocked with questions and thoughts.

I've only ever thrown the Hornet during the Ace Race. I had to adjust my throw so much that it threw me off my game for a couple weeks. The couple decent throws I did get with it weren't bad though. Hopefully it works better for you than it did for me!

Yes but not nearly as available as the Wasp. I can walk into any decent shop/pias and get a premium Wasp. Not so with the Roc, other than the star Sanny I guess, but I wasn't ever a fan of that mold.

Getting a premium Wasp is easy. Getting a decent Wasp isn't so easy. Take a look at this thread.

Last edited:
I've only ever thrown the Hornet during the Ace Race. I had to adjust my throw so much that it threw me off my game for a couple weeks. The couple decent throws I did get with it weren't bad though. Hopefully it works better for you than it did for me!
Right, and I have no idea how it would throw (and yours was ESP, no? This was their modified Z, necessary to make it meet weight.) All I know is that it felt great in my hand, and that's always a good start. I can't throw discs that my hands don't agree with.

Yea, I always buy online so everything is always at my my fingertips. I wish there was a shop close to home.

It was an ESP, yes. I'm the same way about feel. I didn't really like that tiny bead either (never felt comfortable with Magnets for the same reason), but I prefer larger beaded discs like you'll find on Wasps and Wizards. The only smaller bead disc I've really liked is the Pure (love the Pure off the tee), and I don't know if it is even considered beaded.

i'm really diggin the

magic comet combo...the magic is perfect for those 50% comet shots that just always seemed to straight or they would come out of the anny.

Getting a premium Wasp is easy. Getting a decent Wasp isn't so easy. Take a look at this thread.

I haven't had a problem finding good Wasps...Haven't actually found a bad one.

Yeah Comet Love... banged a sweet 180' ace last week with a gentle nose up turnover and fade back through the trees. BLAM $30, paid for it for the 10th and 11th time.