• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

consistently inconsistent

paul buyun

My play can best be summarized as consistently inconsistent. And it drives me friggin' insane. I usually shoot plus 3 or 4, but I can also shoot even. If I could be more (positively) consistent, I could shoot even or even 2 to 3 down. I'm sure consistency is an issue for a lot of players, but this is just driving me crazy. Oh, well. Just wanted to rant for a minute.

Join the club. I've gone to my home course and shot 9 over and followed it up with 5 under. I didn't use to be this erratic before I started tyring to increase my distance. I'm not sure what's causing the scoring snafus.

Physical condition helps in eliminating body position kinks. Moving slower reduces slips and limits the forces acting on the body thus alleviating one of the causes of the body parts twisting into unwanted positions. Putter rounds with an understable disc teaches finesse and forces consistency or the disc will flip or wobble giving instant feedback when you don't perform flawlessly.

^^^ Putter work really helped me iron out some inconsistencies. My only problem is after a few months they seem to come back, so putter time has to be a regular occurrence for me.

treekiller said:
My play can best be summarized as consistently inconsistent. And it drives me friggin' insane. I usually shoot plus 3 or 4, but I can also shoot even. If I could be more (positively) consistent, I could shoot even or even 2 to 3 down. I'm sure consistency is an issue for a lot of players, but this is just driving me crazy. Oh, well. Just wanted to rant for a minute.

Some players become so frustrated by inconsistency that they resort to the extreme measure of...........practice.

It does sound sort of crazy.

Practice is over-rated. I bet all the 1000+ pros only play casually with their buddies. Never hit up a practice basket or empty field.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Spend at minimum 1/2 the time you spend throwing discs off the course practicing. No unloading your bag on an empty hole (while fun) doesn't count. Hit up the section of the forum with all the drills. Some are on the course, others are off.

I've been playing for about one and a half years now. I shot one down at my home course yesterday. I get to play, on average, about once a week. I know I need to practice more, putting especially, and when I do, I see the results. My original post was mostly a rant, but it's true; inconsistency is my worst enemy right now.

I have looked at the drill page and I am trying to work primarily on my putting, and having a smooth release on my drives.

The most frustrating thing is going back in my mind's eye and replaying the round, noting where I could have shaved x-amount of strokes if I had done ______ (fill in the blank). Oh, well, I guess that's what keeps me coming out to the course. Even while it can sometimes be frustrating, it's better than being at work.

Judging by your sig, I'd say stop using an AERO.

No way. I love the control. As an approach disc, it has tremendous glide, and will hold any line I put on it. For putting, same thing, great glide and control. It's the Indian, not the arrow. I need to practice more. Like I said earlier, when I practice, it shows. And my putting HAS improved, over time. It's just that when I see signs of improvement, I want even MORE improvement, and I know that over time I will get there. I just want it now.

There are way more gliding putters out there than the Aero. But they tend to fly off sideways during putting even more for the same reason. An Ion is a non far off side missing disc with fairly nice height holding ability.

switching to a less floaty putter for putts in the circle may help improve consistency.

The Ion is an oddity because it floats quite nicely and unlike other well gliding putters it doesn't exaggerate your unintentional hyzer/anny angle induced sideways missing.

Latest posts