• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

coyote, comet, fuse, or element

money 21

* Ace Member *
coyote, comet, fuse, or element what is your choice for the understable mid range disc.

Don't forget the Meteor. That is another great understable mid.

I do have experience with the Meteor, Comet, and Fuse.

I currently carry the Fuse. That is not to say that my Meteor and Comet did not do something that I wanted them to. (though I must admit that I preferred the Meteor over the Comet when it comes to a true understable mid.. because the Meteor is MORE understable than a comet).

But the Fuse seemed to fly very much so like a buzzz with more turn. Which I appreciated for touch shots and gradual turns.

Meteor, definitely. I also wouldn't dismiss a beaten in MD2. I'm also not that sure the new Coyotes are that understable. The old one was more neutral in my mind, and the new one is even more stable (rated 0 turn, 1 fade).

At the moment my pick is Z Comet. Although I'm waiting for it to break in just a tiny little bit. Love it!

Stocked up on 5 Fuses between both plastics...

Had all but the Element. Put the Aurora MS with the Coyote; great flight when calm but the semi-pointy nose shifts it too much in winds. My only real problem with the Comet was that it is Very responsive to touch and not very forgiving on ranging distance (dog does not know the word sit).

I consider the Fuse a more forgiving/less responsive Comet, and pair it with my Z Wasp.

I too have thrown them all and have to say that the fuse is the way to go. It will do what ever you want it to and you don't have to ask it as nicely as the Comet. Plus, Opto And GL plastic kick ass.

^ agreed

I use the fuse and have been loving it since it came out. Gets great glide and perfect for touch shots or tail wind shots. From what I've heard,the gold lines have a little more turn than the optos

also dnt forget the mako

I have aces with Coyotes, Comets, and Meteors, currently carry the Fuse (chained out a few times), and I have experience with both old and new Elements.

Here's a quick breakdown of each:

Coyote(or Mako or MD2): Easy disc to throw straight or get some flip out of, but this basic design has some problems imo. With the speed of the disc and the lack of stabilizers, its hard to precisely control the turning behavior as they tend to turn too fast. This problem is worse in the wind. So imo these discs are the squirreliest of the large diameter mids...They are easy to be friends with, but impossible to get to know well.

Comet: Go read the Comet thread (its been kind of quiet lately). I'll just say it's a strange disc that does not fit into the same roles as most other discs which means it's not a great turnover compliment to most other discs imo because it is too stable unless torqued over (which is just ugly). This disc is your best friend if you are hanging out with it alone, but it gets really quiet when others are around.

Meteor: This is like a Coyote with more glide and little more predictable understability, but it is still a bit squirrely as it requires real precision to replicate exact lines. So it's like a friend who you have a great time with half the time, but it often does things to embarrass you at the worst times.

Element: This is a nice controllable understable mid. I didn't have much luck throwing frozen ropes, but it flew on nice curvaceous turnovers and takes a long time to flip out of a hyzer. The problem is I don't know if any others fly like the one I had. It is like the friend you only see once every couple of years, but have a good time with.

Fuse: Represents the best of this class imo. It is the least speed sensitive...It flips slightly at almost any speed, but still turns slow even when powered. Seems to get good forward glide even if the release angle is a bit off, and area where it is much more forgiving than many of the others discs listed above. It's like a good golf buddy who's always up for a round even though you don't talk much about wives, kids, jobs, etc.

I use the comet, and i am not totaly happy with it. Gonna try the fuse after you all seem to be in love with it :D

About comets : Use the Z comet if you use any comet. The X plastic wears out after approximatly the 2nd throw.

Oh, little question : There is not much that a comet can do that a buzzz wont, right ? I get a feeling i can do everything with my buzzz, be it huge anhyzers or s-turns. I imagine the only thing a comet is better for is if you want to roll a midrange ^^

money 21 said:
coyote, comet, fuse, or element what is your choice for the understable mid range disc.

Since the majority of the post are not in reference to the Element I will focus on that.

Let me start by saying I have replaced my Roc's, Buzz's, and Champ Roc's with the Element and Warrior. I will need to agree with the above poster that it can be hard (at first) to locate one Element that is for you. I carry a HPP Element (Soft champ plastic) it is extreme flat when thrown at %80.. The more power the more turnover.
Hyserflip? Yes
Hold a big anny? Yes
-8989363084804062975_1.jpg

I have a "Sure Grip" Element for the the "Turnover out of the box" disc.. Think beat in roc, but not the 3-6 months it takes to season them. By far the best out of the box understable mid range made.
gds_element_s_redbrown1.jpg

Smigles said:
Oh, little question : There is not much that a comet can do that a buzzz wont, right ? I get a feeling i can do everything with my buzzz, be it huge anhyzers or s-turns. I imagine the only thing a comet is better for is if you want to roll a midrange ^^

The Comet does a myriad of things the Buzzz won't such as hold an anny with a light throw, hold a slight turn the whole flight, drop straight down from 20' of height, work lines under 280', pretty much fly like a putter, etc, etc. However, the things that the Buzzz does that the Comet won't (take a driver-type throw, fly straight and low, fight wind, nice hyzers, skip forward) seem to be a lot more applicable on my home courses, and what the Comet does I can also do with my putter (just with a little distance lost).

discspeed said:
Smigles said:

The Comet does a myriad of things the Buzzz won't such as hold an anny with a light throw, hold a slight turn the whole flight, drop straight down from 20' of height, work lines under 280', pretty much fly like a putter, etc, etc. However, the things that the Buzzz does that the Comet won't (take a driver-type throw, fly straight and low, fight wind, nice hyzers, skip forward) seem to be a lot more applicable on my home courses, and what the Comet does I can also do with my putter (just with a little distance lost).

discpeed is dead on here. In fact, the Comet and Buzzz aren't very similar at all. Another perspective on the differences:

Comet likes to turn nose down at the end of its flight. Buzzz is incredibly averse to this (nose up hyzers turn into driver-like lift-outs.) Buzzz is much better on a lower line (where the Comet will crash and burn) and Comet is much better on a higher line (where the buzzz will crap and out stall.) Buzzz holds a line and then (if you give it a chance) dies. Comet goes for a while and then turns (left, forward, right, whatever.) I find the Buzzz good for anhyzers but bad for turnovers (and the Comet the other way around.) They're good for different lines.

From a totally different angle: the Buzzz is a great forehand disc. I don't think the same can be said of the comet.

I've never thrown the fuse. What's the grip/rim like? Is it more Buzzzy or more Comety? Also, does it tend to turn nose down at the end of the flight, or is it more nose angle sensitive (with a lot of lift) like the Buzzz?

discspeed said:
Coyote(or Mako or MD2): Easy disc to throw straight or get some flip out of, but this basic design has some problems imo. With the speed of the disc and the lack of stabilizers, its hard to precisely control the turning behavior as they tend to turn too fast. This problem is worse in the wind. So imo these discs are the squirreliest of the large diameter mids...They are easy to be friends with, but impossible to get to know well.
No so sure the MD2 belongs here. Maybe the S-Line, but my P and C don't turn for me.

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
No so sure the MD2 belongs here. Maybe the S-Line, but my P and C don't turn for me.

The S I threw was fairly stable, but I just don't trust that wing. There is a speed at which it will cause squirreliness...Even if it starts stable, I fear that when it breaks in it will be just like the Coyote/Mako.

This is like the 3rd or fourth thread like this, but I'll chime in anyway.

Meteor - A little difficult to finesse.

Comet - Specialty disc with a special grip that requires a special throw and...well, just doesn't have a place in my bag.

Beat Roc - Too much height requirement, and doesn't ever make it to "really understable" at my altitude.

Fuse - Just right, heavier weights start out holding a line but can still progress to "really understable" at my altitude. I always have the right disc between Fuses and Rocs.

Latest posts