• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my putting, vid inside.

KG505

Birdie Member
Looking for some pointers from some of you wonder putters out there. My putting seems to be pretty inconsistent. One day I can't miss within 30, the next day i'll struggle with 15 footers. Is there anything you see that I can work on? Should I slow down between putts a bit? On the course I try not to over think things, I usually step up, give it one arm pump, then putt. Should I incorporate that into my practice?

Try keeping your arm in a straight line running up the pole (also called painting the pole). Basically creates a pendulum motion rather than using bend in your elbow to put a lot of spin on the disc. By keeping your arm in that straight line (no elbow bend at all really) you are less likely to miss left or right. The only thing you have to worry with is missing high or low.

Check out Disc Golf Monthly episode 97 I think. Nikko demonstrates his putting in that clinic.

Post a video of your inconsistent days and then watch it back to back with this one you just posted. I am willing to bet you'll notice your own flaw.

There's still some slight wrist and elbow motion in the pure "push putters" too. you can still keep the disc on the same line.

Try keeping your arm in a straight line running up the pole (also called painting the pole). Basically creates a pendulum motion rather than using bend in your elbow to put a lot of spin on the disc. By keeping your arm in that straight line (no elbow bend at all really) you are less likely to miss left or right. The only thing you have to worry with is missing high or low.

Check out Disc Golf Monthly episode 97 I think. Nikko demonstrates his putting in that clinic.

It seems like that would decrease the amount of spin on the disc... I'll have to try it out and see. Thanks for the heads up on the DGM vid too, i'll check that out.

Post a video of your inconsistent days and then watch it back to back with this one you just posted. I am willing to bet you'll notice your own flaw.

Thats a good idea... next time I'm terrible at the course i'll come home and hope i'm still just as terrible on video. Then a little side by side comparison.

you just made every putt.

keep doing that.

If only it were that simple! :hfive:

There's still some slight wrist and elbow motion in the pure "push putters" too. you can still keep the disc on the same line.

another thing i've been wondering... Am I push or spin putting in that vid? little combination of both? Is it even possible to tell in that vid?

another thing i've been wondering... Am I push or spin putting in that vid? little combination of both? Is it even possible to tell in that vid?

mixture of both. you have some of the pendulum motion but are also still putting a good bit of elbow movement into it.

mixture of both. you have some of the pendulum motion but are also still putting a good bit of elbow movement into it.

thats what I was thinking... Thanks for having a look and helping out :clap:

I disagree. Every "push putter" I've seen has a little wrist and a little elbow movement. Feldberg has the 40 minute push putting video but when he actually putts he's got some wrist and elbow motion too.

I didn't watch the OP's video TOO closely but it seems a LOT more like push putting than spin putting. In fact I suggest that if you drop the putter or your hand below your waist you're likely more of a push putter than a spin putter.

np...try getting your weight more forward on your front leg, and extend your arm lower and follow through in a straight line.

It is also helpful for your back leg to lift a bit to balance the shift of weight caused by your arm movement. This just keeps you centered and balanced.

As mentioned, there will still be some slight bend in your elbow but you shouldn't feel like you are thrusting toward the basket with the disc. Rather, you are simply letting the disc out (like a light toss) using the momentum of the pendulum to project the disc towards the target.

I disagree. Every "push putter" I've seen has a little wrist and a little elbow movement. Feldberg has the 40 minute push putting video but when he actually putts he's got some wrist and elbow motion too.

I didn't watch the OP's video TOO closely but it seems a LOT more like push putting than spin putting. In fact I suggest that if you drop the putter or your hand below your waist you're likely more of a push putter than a spin putter.

As I said, there is a slight bend. There simple has to be, and the farther out the putt, the more bend there will be.

The OP's putt is a hybrid because the point of release differs every putt because he is putting thrust into the arm motion rather than relying on the pendulum and SLIGHT bend of the elbow.

You need to make your practice as close to actual play as possible. You don't walk up to your lie during a round with a stack of putters and just rapid fire. So try setting your basket up in your yard and throw some approach shots and do your full routine just like you would during a round for each shot. It's alright to do some rapid fire but don't do it every time as you wouldn't do that during a round.

I have THIS for you! watch it meny meny times! It is all you need to know! Put it to use and watch your score drop!

You need to make your practice as close to actual play as possible. You don't walk up to your lie during a round with a stack of putters and just rapid fire. So try setting your basket up in your yard and throw some approach shots and do your full routine just like you would during a round for each shot. It's alright to do some rapid fire but don't do it every time as you wouldn't do that during a round.

Sound advice. .....or carry a stack of 5 putters up to my putter...

^^ Unreal is telling you to be more realistic

;)

34265-010112-f0bf82177494ac88c72f92cff537c9ab.jpg

I have THIS for you! watch it meny meny times! It is all you need to know! Put it to use and watch your score drop!

This looks to be just what i'm looking for. Def gonna check it out when I have 49 mins. Thanks! :hfive:

This looks to be just what i'm looking for. Def gonna check it out when I have 49 mins. Thanks! :hfive:

Anytime it helped me tons! It's so fun to see your buddy's jaws drop when you start slamming hard puts! :D

Drive for show. Putt for dough!

:hfive: