• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

I saw a tarantula hawk the other day. These guys paralyze tarantulas and drag them back to their den.

TarantulaHawk-large3-550x420.jpg

The stinger of a female tarantula hawk can be up to 7 mm (1/3 inch) long, and the sting is considered among the most painful insect stings in the world.

I saw a much scarier hornet on the course the other day. Check the "critters" thread.

*shudders*

I have a bunch of Cicada Killers that live underneath the sidewalk of my apt. They look the same as a normal wasp, but almost 3 or 4 times the size. They'll make you defecate in your jimmies.

i'm so glad i haven't been hit by a hornet in a good many years, those mf'ers don't screw around. at least it wasn't an asian hornet...

Picture_Vespa.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a tarantula hawk the other day. These guys paralyze tarantulas and drag them back to their den.

TarantulaHawk-large3-550x420.jpg
Good God.

The female tarantula hawk captures, stings, and paralyzes the spider, then either drags her prey back into her own burrow or transports it to a specially prepared nest, where a single egg is laid on the spider's abdomen, and the entrance is covered. When the wasp larva hatches, it creates a small hole in the spider's abdomen, then enters the spider's abdomen and feeds voraciously, avoiding vital organs for as long as possible to keep the spider alive. After several weeks, the larva pupates. Finally, the wasp becomes an adult, and emerges from the spider's abdomen. The wasp emerges from the nest to continue the life cycle.

I got stung in my throwing arm by a wasp at league on Monday. My forearm is still swollen four days later, but I did shoot a new course record that night. I credit my very muscular looking forearm (think Popeye).

:eek: that tarantual hawk is crazy! i have never heard of those things around here.. mostly out west? we have cowkillers around here.. which are considred wingless wasps and their stinger comes out and looks like a damn sewing needle .. would like to see them fight but looks like hawk would have no problems

Deer, Armadillos, skunks, homosexuals, snakes (moccasins, copperheads, and rattlers), druggies, turkeys, and a family of foxes. The foxes were pretty cool.

Deer, Armadillos, skunks, homosexuals, snakes (moccasins, copperheads, and rattlers), druggies, turkeys, and a family of foxes. The foxes were pretty cool.

Sounds about right, at bicentennial there are snakes that aren't normally there. Mainly because people who own these exotic snakes don't take care of em properly and just let em go.

I wasn't playing disc golf at the time, but I've seen a python, and my mom (used to be a cop) got a call about a cobra at the park. :/ Also I've seen coyotes at night, and let's add children in this. They are always in terrible spots for disc golfers.

OH AND LARPERS. :p

I've seen Copperheads numerous times while playing the Whippin' Post. You don't just want to reach into the schule for your disc before giving things a look.

lots of gators, wild parrots some dudes mean dog who acted nice and let me pet it then tried to bite me. ducks,turtles,and an eagle flying overhead that inspired me to a bogey

327483_3203368326040_1321058205_3312738_723414156_o.jpg

and an eagle flying overhead that inspired me to a bogey

Haha, love that. Don't get anything like gators on my course, the worst thing I've ever seen was a snake - which wasn't cool as I didn't know there were snakes in the area