• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

About 15 years ago, friends and I were playing Hudson Mills (near Ann Arbor, MI). The lady of our group threw a Cobra on that one tightly wooded anhyzer hole 3/4 of the way through the original course that wraps around a pond/swamp.

We approached her Disc, and not more than a foot away (from the COBRA!) was one of those Massasauga Rattlesnakes, a little one, flickering its little tail and everything! Cute as a button.

It's the only one I've ever seen in the wild.
I know the hole well (think it's #13, and I know Hudson Mills is hime to that snake, although I've never seen one myself (not that I'm complaining)!

the small ones are the most dangerous! YIKES!

We used a very long stick to fetch her (Innova) Cobra. :)

Now that I recall that hole, I had an Omega Supersoft nick a tree on the previous hole and splashdown in the middle of that pond/bog, circa 1997. I wonder if anybody ever got that out? It didn't look conducive to wading back then (and it's been a good 8 or 10 years since I've been back to Hudson Mills, sadly).

We used a very long stick to fetch her (Innova) Cobra. :)

Now that I recall that hole, I had an Omega Supersoft nick a tree on the previous hole and splashdown in the middle of that pond/bog, circa 1997. I wonder if anybody ever got that out? It didn't look conducive to wading back then (and it's been a good 8 or 10 years since I've been back to Hudson Mills, sadly).
Disc must have been retrieved by someone. Last time I played there (3/9/2013, judging from course conditions), that pond had dried up, so any discs would have been easy to see/retrieve, and there weren't any on those two holes. I hope we get enough precip to make it a pond again... adds a certain element. Now those holes feel like they're "missing something." :(

Hole 12 @ Maytag Park in Newton, IA. As I was about to tee off a red tail hawk swooped down and grabbed a squirrel right off the ground about 70ft in front of me. I had to take a minute to process what I just saw before I threw my tee shot.

Oh yeah, another Hudson Mills snake story...I'm on original #2 teeing off (with my first-ever brand new MDGO chain-stamped XL, circa '98?) when I see the biggest, baddest looking black snake I've ever seen RACING like mad across the fairway 100' in front of me, then into the tall grass. You could then see the tall grass sway with the snake as it disappeared into the reaches of the prarie! That one scared me much worse than the little Michigan rattler did.

Disc must have been retrieved by someone. Last time I played there (3/9/2013, judging from course conditions), that pond had dried up, so any discs would have been easy to see/retrieve, and there weren't any on those two holes. I hope we get enough precip to make it a pond again... adds a certain element. Now those holes feel like they're "missing something." :(

I have seen a couple places like this where discs got completely buried in the silt/mud and I only discovered them from walking on top and feeling a bump. If the disc is down there long enough, it can definitely be lost forever.

Two frogs trying to bump uglies at holler in the hills earlier this week haha

F85D9856-8CD4-4C37-BC4B-D079BDFBDC42-5833-000002FFDBB5A647_zps08f30c5f.jpg

Not the happiest of stories, but I hit this poor little guy right out of a tree with a wayward drive. I was a little concerned he wouldn't make it at first, but he seemed to be doing better when we crossed his path again later. Luckily for him, Destroyers don't always destroy.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 174
Lets get this goin again

7D778FEB-5CD9-4B85-94A5-1A6BDBABB4D2-1198-000000A2655CDED9.jpg

A326105E-C220-4358-A350-297DD4E4B9D2-1198-000000A26B7DC0BC.jpg

Snapped these guys at the dg course in marana, AZ