• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cro vs Spider

Crosseyed0811

Eagle Member
Which is more versitile or covers more shots? I want to give the small diameter mids a shot to see if I like them better, but I'm not sure which one would be more useable. I was thinking Cro would be more like a Roc and just break in to cover all the shots, but from what I can tell it doesn't have a bead and the Spider does. So I was thinking maybe since the spider has the bead it may not start out as overstable, but will have a better break in pattern...

Oh, and I'm not really looking for reasons why I shouldn't use smaller diameter mids rather than the more used larger diameter ones, just wanting to compare these two discs... I want to try them out to see if I like them better.

spider is very versatile. my cro's have always been pretty overstable. why not get both and throw them. not a huge investment. plus you may like them each for diff scenarios.

Cro for me was a straight line thrower. The spider can do straight shots or flex shots. I know guys who swear by both. Difference in throwing style. If like discs like the PD/TB you will probably like the Cro. If you dig throwing Eagles/OLFs, the spider is more up your alley

or try a Puma. it is more workable than both, but only in dx and OOP

Thanks for the input guys, including the Puma suggestion though I stay away from OOP.

Any comments on how these two molds start out and break in stability wise? In DX and Star/Champ...

i've never touched a cro but have always had a champ spider. i'm at 325 or so power and the champ spider is stable for me. great in the wind and great for flex shots. champ has never really broken in for me.

bill said:
i've never touched a cro but have always had a champ spider. i'm at 325 or so power and the champ spider is stable for me. great in the wind and great for flex shots. champ has never really broken in for me.

Beautiful :) Thanks Bill!

Every time I've thrown a Spider I've thought "Flies straight, glides like a stone." Is this common?

The spider is a small diameter mid. It isn't built to have glide. The smaller flight plate = less glide. so yeah, it ain't no comet

zj1002 said:
The spider is a small diameter mid. It isn't built to have glide. The smaller flight plate = less glide. so yeah, it ain't no comet
It has a big dome though. And I mean almost zero glide. Less than the old Vibram putters.

OK, so Cro, Spider and Gator pretty much have no glide at all. How about their other small diameter mids, Skeeter, Kite and Panther?

jubuttib said:
OK, so Cro, Spider and Gator pretty much have no glide at all. How about their other small diameter mids, Skeeter, Kite and Panther?

I'm fairly certain in glide terms it is Kite>Panther>Skeeter>space shuttle>Spider>a brick>Cro>Gator :)

the champ gummy spider is the most versatile approach disc i have ever used. I mostly forehand mine but it is one of the most predictable and reliable discs in my arsenal. It has got me out of trouble countless times. try forehanding it and you won't be disappointed.

Crosseyed0811 said:
Some of the things I've seen here and read elsewhere have me very interested. I'll be picking up a Spider soon and testing it out.

Mmmmmm.....Spiders are alright. I have an old, super gummy one I got from the used bin at PIAS a couple of months ago. I'd compare it to a beat-to-crap first run Gator, with a little more glide (I have a lot of 1st Run Champ Gators). It's a bit more prone to flipping in headwinds, and it isn't a really versatile midrange disc.......Never cared for a Cro.