• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

Oh I've got the point. I've bought discs out of used bins too, but you don't know what you're getting til you throw it. Having to find a used one with the right seasoning, or take time to season it, just makes replacement more complicated. I prefer to keep it simple, and not be scared to throw the discs I carry.

"never throw it by or over water" <-- what fun is that? :D

Nope. You still don't have the point.
I bet you dollars to donuts that I can tell with better precision what a KC Roc out of a used bin is going to fly like by feel and look that almost anyone can tell what a new stock disc is going to fly like. Also, when you just throw Rocs all the time, you get awfully good at making a Roc that is anywhere in the right stability ballpark make the shots you need.

"never throw it by or over water" <-- what fun is that? :D

I actually enjoy the extra added pressure of throwing a disc I really don't want to lose in a place I could easily lose it with a wayward throw.

Last year on my annual trip to play baseball tournaments in Arizona, I was playing some course in Tempe and threw my beautiful (favorite) Raptor into the woods and spent close to half an hour looking for it before I found it. I was SO relieved. The very next hole I had a tighter drive, threw it worse, and Magellan couldn't have found it.

Last week, playing Micke Grove in Lodi, I threw my perfectly seasoned Ptero right in the middle of the lake (a perfectly foreseeable result with the line I chose) - didn't have a backup in that plastic

Point is, I would throw each of those shots again with the same disc - the risk IS part of the fun (for me, at least)

Oh I've got the point. I've bought discs out of used bins too, but you don't know what you're getting til you throw it. Having to find a used one with the right seasoning, or take time to season it, just makes replacement more complicated. I prefer to keep it simple, and not be scared to throw the discs I carry.

I've played with nothing but Rocs (and an X-Comet which has since been bumped because I now have Rocs to cover that shot) for the last 4 years.
If I bought a used Roc, it would take all of two throws (One throw out, and another back) to know where it would fit in my bag or what it would be a backup for.

When all you throw is one mold, you learn it well. You don't get surprises or weird unexpected flights.

What seems unnecessarily complicated to me is, the guy that carries a Verdict, Buzzz, Warship and Meteor. Every disc feels different, flies different and breaks in different. You get used to the flight of one disc for one "sort of" shot, and if you lose one? Who's sweating bullets now and has their confidence shaken?

I've done it both ways.
Not saying it's the best way, but in my experience, cycling one mold has been the least complicated of the two.

Last edited:
I've played with nothing but Rocs (and an X-Comet which has since been bumped because I now have Rocs to cover that shot) for the last 4 years.
If I bought a used Roc, it would take all of two throws (One throw out, and another back) to know where it would fit in my bag or what it would be a backup for.

When all you throw is one mold, you learn it well. You don't get surprises or weird unexpected flights.

What seems unnecessarily complicated to me is, the guy that carries a Verdict, Buzzz, Warship and Meteor. Every disc feels different, flies different and breaks in different. You get used to the flight of one disc for one "sort of" shot, and if you lose one? Who's sweating bullets now and has their confidence shaken?

I've done it both ways.
Not saying it's the best way, but in my experience, cycling one mold has been the least complicated of the two.

I mean AJ carries 5 mid molds. He seems to do pretty damn well with them. In total it's 7-8 mids IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ is also building a new bag from Trilogy's bloated lineup. I bet it'll be fewer as he figures out what discs his new overlords want him to throw.

There's nothing more complicated about carrying different molds than carrying cycled molds. One can (and will) learn one's different molds's flight patterns well.

By definition, discs being cycled change their flights over time and use, and once one gets used to how it flies, it's already changing. But a premium mold not being cycled will retain its flight pattern far longer. And if I lose a disc, I just buy another of the mold and plug it in, and have great confidence in my new disc. A cycled disc would have to be replaced by wearing in a disc over time, or searching PIAS bins for a replacement seasoned just so. Time-consuming and worrisome.

There is no advantage to cycling over non-cycling. None.

Last edited:
I mean AJ carries 5 mid molds. He seems to do pretty damn well with them. In total it's 7-8 mids IIRC.

AJ who? Avery Jenkins, AJ Risley? Are you as good as they are?

AJ Risley? He just switched sponsors, so we'll see how many different molds he's bagging at the end of the year.

AJ who? Avery Jenkins, AJ Risley? Are you as good as they are?

AJ Risley? He just switched sponsors, so we'll see how many different molds he's bagging at the end of the year.

Considering the fact that Avery Jenkins is retired, not planning to play master, and a known roc thrower, it's obviously not him. He's basically irrelevant unless talking about destros or ****ty commentary.
But AJ Risley is also not huge on cycling if you look at his other bags. He still bagged 3-4 molds with legacy. SD is correct cycling is not inherently better. It's all preference.

There's nothing more complicated about carrying different molds than carrying cycled molds. One can (and will) learn one's different molds's flight patterns well.

By definition, discs being cycled change their flights over time and use, and once one gets used to how it flies, it's already changing. But a premium mold not being cycled will retain its flight pattern far longer. And if I lose a disc, I just buy another of the mold and plug it in, and have great confidence in my new disc. A cycled disc would have to be replaced by wearing in a disc over time, or searching PIAS bins for a replacement seasoned just so. Time-consuming and worrisome.

Shouldn't you be hiding in Catrina Allen's closet or something?

AJ is also building a new bag from Trilogy's bloated lineup. I bet it'll be fewer as he figures out what discs his new overlords want him to throw.

This kind of makes my point for me... If Risley is throwing what his "overlords" want him to, he'd almost have to cycle to get discs for the shots he needs. :(

But Trilogy is a great company, so they probably won't force him to choose just a few of their many great discs. So he won't have to cycle if he doesn't want to. :thmbup:

Upon what experience do you base this? Seriously? Genuinely asking.

Have you committed a couple of years to each approach and then formed conclusions based on reflection? Or do you just feel compelled to defend what you're doing, without regard to or openness to opinions of people with vastly more experience than you?

... without regard to or openness to opinions of people with vastly more experience than you?

Dr. Carl Sagan once said "Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out." So my own counsel will I keep on cycling, and I don't need to cycle discs for years to know that there is NO advantage to cycling over non-cycling. None.

Just to make this clear. Do what makes you comfortable and that's the only advantage you need. SD for you cycling won't give an advantage but for others it makes them confident in their shots and they know exactly how that disc flies. Let them season and quit stepping on them when they say why they like cycling.

Just to make this clear. Do what makes you comfortable and that's the only advantage you need. SD for you cycling won't give an advantage but for others it makes them confident in their shots and they know exactly how that disc flies. Let them season and quit stepping on them when they say why they like cycling.

Oh, they can cycle if they like. I'm not stepping on them, just saying that their way is not the one and only way.

They were never saying it was. They were saying you were being overly critical of it for never having tried it.

Actually, in the past they have said it was. Also, as I stated above, I reject the false premise that I have to cycle to see the flaws in it and/or say there is no advantage to it over non-cycling.

Last edited: