• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

Good to hear! Maybe I'll have to see if one can give my Rocs a run for their money. ;)

Oh, they could give a roc a run for their money. I like them better than a roc, Buzzz, or wasp for the thicker rim, the flat top is something o also like and gateways suregrip plastic. Nuff said.

The Prophecy is nice. I mean, I have like 30 Rocs to go before I run out. But if I run through those 30 (and haven't picked up like 30 more by then) the Prophecy would be a nice option.

*is never actually going to bag a Prophecy*

This is going to be me with the prophecy, I am just going to order some every other week until I have them all. And I'm set.

If you look at how my bag is laid out, I throw the same putters, cycle Roc(3)s (the Mako3 will probably come out because of an acquisition of a DX Roc to replace it), have a mixed bag of fairways and distance drivers. I could probably go to a TeeBird cycle and put together a set of Destroyers, but I can't beat in Pro Destroyers (don't throw them into much to beat them up) and need to get a bunch of DX TeeBirds, because GStar is stubbornly stable in TeeBirds, but not in Destroyers.

He's also has a noodle arm, but never really reveals that.
Can't throw 300ft but loves to give reviews on 12 speed discs and tells you how they're breaking in after a month.

Forum Bozo

This is exactly why he doesn't see the benefit to a cycle, and plus he hates beads, the only kind of mids that are actually worth cycling.

Oh, they could give a roc a run for their money. I like them better than a roc, Buzzz, or wasp for the thicker rim, the flat top is something o also like and gateways suregrip plastic. Nuff said.

Let's hear the review! How do they fly compared to a Roc? Is the feel similar?

Let's hear the review! How do they fly compared to a Roc? Is the feel similar?

The feel is similar to the Roc, very much like the wasp with a fatterr rim, very comfortable disc. The flight is very nice long and straight with forward fade, very HSS however it'll hold an anny and fight out at very end I think this thing will season in to a pretty workable disc. The plastic from gateway is great baseline and premium. Oh, and the gliiiiiiiiiide!! This thing just goes while the diamond plastic cuts pretty fast, it's still glidey. Can't say enough about this thing man. A staple in my bag and love at first huck!

I gather the OP throws Buzzzes as I do...

Have you tried throwing the Buzzz variations (SS and OS molds)? Maybe cycling isn't the answer at all. If you can get away from beaded mids, having these three molds in your bag can cover about any shot inside of 250'. I like them because they feel so similar in the hand but have completely different flights. I feel like I get a more clean and consistent release without the beads, but I do throw a lot of forehands. Just a thought...

Gateway's midrange lineup is nice as well. I can't speak for the Prophecy but I used to rock the Karma, Scout, and Mystic. Those three will cover about any shot you could ask for and Gateway has a ton of plastic blends that will fit your game. Again, this wouldn't be cycling but those are some other mids the OP might be interested in...

I gather the OP throws Buzzzes as I do...

Have you tried throwing the Buzzz variations (SS and OS molds)? Maybe cycling isn't the answer at all. If you can get away from beaded mids, having these three molds in your bag can cover about any shot inside of 250'. I like them because they feel so similar in the hand but have completely different flights. I feel like I get a more clean and consistent release without the beads, but I do throw a lot of forehands. Just a thought...

Gateway's midrange lineup is nice as well. I can't speak for the Prophecy but I used to rock the Karma, Scout, and Mystic. Those three will cover about any shot you could ask for and Gateway has a ton of plastic blends that will fit your game. Again, this wouldn't be cycling but those are some other mids the OP might be interested in...

Good thoughts. I already went to the prophecy, the reason I want to cycle is similar to what you spoke of, consistency, that's it. The prophecy is great, feels like a Roc, Wasp etc. And has that fatter rim for me it's a much more comfortable grip. I love the feel of beadedids so have no interest in moving away from them the prophecy can be thrown BH and FH. fantastic piece of plastic.

The Prophecy is a kinda different/mostly the same mid from the Karma/Scout/Mystic because on the underside the wing connects to the top like most discs instead of that roll off effect Gateway mids always had. I have heard the Element now has that design as well. So they feel more like a conventional Roc/Buzzz in the hand, but still have the larger diameter and basic design that Gateway mids always had. I would assume that would take some mass away from the wing, so I'm not sure how it effects the flight vs the old design.

The Prophecy is a kinda different/mostly the same mid from the Karma/Scout/Mystic because on the underside the wing connects to the top like most discs instead of that roll off effect Gateway mids always had. I have heard the Element now has that design as well. So they feel more like a conventional Roc/Buzzz in the hand, but still have the larger diameter and basic design that Gateway mids always had. I would assume that would take some mass away from the wing, so I'm not sure how it effects the flight vs the old design.

The rim/wing on these bad boys are pretty beefcake. I personally don't think the .2 cm. Makes too much of a difference. But what do I know. All I do know is that the prophecy flies beautiful lines.

I'm not sure if it ever happened, but there was talk at one point that TimG was going to archive all of the old important DGR threads. Cycling discs was one very important part of the game theory Blake T. and the rest of us developed/prescribed to. I basically was self taught and learned a ton from my time over at DGR. I wish a lot of the people debating it here could read that information (I think the forum is 404 still) and I think it would help people understand the theory better. I always get involved in these discussions simply because I think it's a method that can work for a lot of people - not *everyone*, but someone surely out there could benefit from it.

**more accurate information and comments/opinions**

To toot my own horn, timg IS hosting DGR now. All of the instructional articles from the main DGR page can be found at https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/ while the forums are all archived here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/

Any of the newer players reading this should invest hours reading "informational articles" and the like on the sidebar of my first link as well as digging through the forums in the second. DGR was more 400 level than DGCR ever was.

To toot my own horn, timg IS hosting DGR now. All of the instructional articles from the main DGR page can be found at https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/ while the forums are all archived here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/

Any of the newer players reading this should invest hours reading "informational articles" and the like on the sidebar of my first link as well as digging through the forums in the second. DGR was more 400 level than DGCR ever was.

Thanks for this, time to get reading

Those old DGR threads are absolutely excellent. I remember, when I started throwing, spending hours pouring through advice on building simple bags, throwing with clean form (was more important with older molds/baseline plastic), cycling, and JLSs (which mold taught me SO much about working angles).

Alright, I am breaking down this season (again) and starting a roc cycle. I am going to be a little more casual about it, and will be using comets as a stopgap. :hfive:

I figure I'll start like this:

171g ESP comet - squirrely goodness when leaned on
174g KC Roc - seasoned with a good 1g hunk out of the rim. Flies like a dream.
171g DX Roc - 10/10

When that DX starts to work in, I will throw a 171-174g new KC roc in and get to work. If I lose something that I can't replace off the shelf, a fresh DX roc will be thrown in at the top of the cycle and the slot will be temporarily filled by a comet of some kind.

Seems simple enough, there's no way I'll get frustrated this time, right? Right? :sick:

Those old DGR threads are absolutely excellent. I remember, when I started throwing, spending hours pouring through advice on building simple bags, throwing with clean form (was more important with older molds/baseline plastic), cycling, and JLSs (which mold taught me SO much about working angles).

I used to have a much simpler bag. Had only 11 molds. But I switched mids and now I can't cycle. Matrixes will eventually break in but gyro is stubborn to cycle so it'll take a while or MVP making an electron matrix which with the release of electron vectors I believe has to be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this quote:

Stopped reading and immediately thought about how passionate Blake is about disc minimalism. I like the idea of looking at discs as a craftsmans tools. I'm not sure how much of a craftsman I am, but the quote seemed appropriate.

Damn....

Timg is the man. I remember some phone convos with BlakeT years ago and how he was slowly burning out. Took a while for me to adjust to DGCR (what a bunch of holligans back then) but this page has become even more than DGR could have. Now we have DGR here (news to me) and the circle is complete.

I learned so much back then that I have now used when teaching people locally. People joke about it but once I can get them actually putting some of those old principles (like cycling) to work they understand too.

Timg is the man. I remember some phone convos with BlakeT years ago and how he was slowly burning out. Took a while for me to adjust to DGCR (what a bunch of holligans back then) but this page has become even more than DGR could have. Now we have DGR here (news to me) and the circle is complete.

I learned so much back then that I have now used when teaching people locally. People joke about it but once I can get them actually putting some of those old principles (like cycling) to work they understand too.

The way this thread ended up was pretty cool IMO, see I've not been playing that long and the reason I came here was to learn from people who have been in the game for a minute. I'm at an age where sensible things well, they make sense so these "old school" principles and knowledge, well yeah it gives with me. Thanks guys for all the help.

The way this thread ended up was pretty cool IMO, see I've not been playing that long and the reason I came here was to learn from people who have been in the game for a minute. I'm at an age where sensible things well, they make sense so these "old school" principles and knowledge, well yeah it gives with me. Thanks guys for all the help.

I learned from players that played in 1998 and they had only baseline for the discs, I remeber That one uncle even in 2000's he cycled his Driving putters DX Rhyno's one was stable other was under. He used the old Pro Ryhno a very close disc to the R-Pro now if you get the R-Pro the way it was supposed to be made rubbery but not floppy. I also learned about cycling from another uncle who like to cycle his midrange, the Cobra's having 3 in the bag and learned from him and a brother that if the tool a low profile putter that flies on the path you want, uncle a Magnet use a midrange disc, him a Spider for putting; brother wanted a overtable low profile putter, so at the time he used a beat in DX Gator. Now he will try the 173 gram DX Stud I got him and should be a better disc for putting, his old DX Gator is near the end where one hard putt could render the disc unusable. Also he wanted a new disc to try for a putter.

Bump

That was a fun re-read...even better seeing "banned" under SD86's name. Anybody want to talk about cycling?

:popcorn: