• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Cycling mid range molds.

Bump

That was a fun re-read...even better seeing "banned" under SD86's name. Anybody want to talk about cycling?

:popcorn:

What did he do to get banned?

I'm getting ready to start cycles on molds just to simplify the molds compared to what I used to do, which was try and just have different discs. I've a tendency to buy extra of things I like, so this will reduce what I am hoarding. Lol

Anybody want to talk about cycling?
The idea of cycling is to cover the entire spectrum using one mold. It would make sense to start with a very overstable mold and keep beating them until they get understable.

Despite this, I don't choose a massively overstable mid to begin the cycle. Most new DX Rocs are beefy enough for most shots I need. To cover the very overstable shots I either use a premium plastic Gator (or equivalent) or I power down on a fairway driver. Anyone else do this?

As far as cycling mids, I have never found a better candidate than DX Rocs. Fantastic when new and only get better as they beat in. The whole cycle is sublime. If I carry Rocs and Comets in the bag together, Comets are used for beat Roc shots where I don't want to risk losing my cherished beat Roc.

And that's the only downside that I've seen to the cycle. Beat discs are valuable because you can't go buy a replacement. And beating them to the right level takes time if you want it done correctly. All things considered, I see more pros to cycling than I see cons.

Last edited:
Currently cycle two slots in my bag:

I have 2 Wizards, one beat Soft and one seasoned Soft and looking to add a fresh Firm or PW as the OS one.

I use 3 Gstar Valks from flippy to fresh/OS. A Firebird sometimes makes an appearance.

I really want to have a midrange to cycle...might look at Rocs again. I currently use Buzzzes but always have to throw in a Buzzz OS sometimes. I'd rather have all the same mold.

I think I unconsciously cycle everything. There isn't a single disc in my bag that I'd kick to the curb if the flight of it changed; I'd just add another fresh one and then I'd have that much more of a shot spectrum for that mold. A golf disc may beat in so that its use changes, but they rarely become useless.

The reason I end up not doing that with drivers is that I lose the damn things. :( :mad: I'd cycle the Cheez Whiz out of Firebirds if I could ever keep one in my bag long enough to season it.

I don't have a flippy one yet, but I have one that flies dead straight.

Oh, and I also cycle Eagles! How could I have forgot them! :doh:
And a flippy Eagle is a thing of beauty!

I think you and i could swap bags and be just fine :)
Rhynos, Rocs, Eagles?!?! Yes please.

He was turning into a Discmaniac if I remember correctly. Maybe he switched to an MD3 cycle and didn't want to admit it.

I know a few local pros who rock MD3s and they are really good with them. They use a mix of P and C/S lines for most of their shots.

I like the *idea* of cycling. However, my experience is fairly limited. Cycling takes time, and I've only been playing 2 1/2 years. Plus, it took me 6-12 months to latch onto most of the molds that stuck in my bag, so on average I've probably only been throwing my primary molds an average of a year and a half. That's not enough to build a cycle. Thus far, I've reached the following conclusions:

Putters: Find one putter that you like how it throws when fresh, and you like how it feels in the hand for putting. Then buy a couple premiums for throwing, some baselines to beat into turnover throwers and approach discs, and some other baselines for putting. Judge seems to fit that description for me pretty well.

Mids: I don't think I will ever be a guy that simply cycles Rocs/Buzzzes/Emacs. While I like how my 1.5 year old Biofuzion Emac flies, I don't think the LSS will ever completely disappear. A true out-of-the-box understable mold (Tursas, Comet, etc) just holds a perfect turnover line. I could see myself bagging something like 3 Emacs eventually, but I think I will always have an understable bookend that is a naturally flippy mold.

Fairways: This part of the bag is tough for me, because I love the fresh flight of a handful of discs, but I also like how they fly once some of that HSS is knocked off. I throw three main FW driver molds (Getaway/Stag/Hatchet), but I will frequently change up which actual discs are in the bag. For example, some days I lean toward the huge S-flight of a beat in Getaway, while other days I like the HSS and mellow LSS of a fresh domey Stag. I don't think I could ever just bag a bunch of Getaways only and be happy about it.

Drivers: This seems the easiest spot to cycle, since different plastic/PLH combos can get you a wide variety of stabilities out of the same mold, even when all discs are new. I'm bagging a fairly fresh Lucid-X and Moonshine Trespass, plus a seasoned Lucid, and a flat Biofuzion that took only a month to beat in. That gives me nearly every distance driver shot shape I could possibly need, with only one mold. I do bag a Vanish for long turnovers, but most distance driver shots are covered by a Trespass.

Lastly, I find the overstable bookend to be a disc that doesn't cycle as well. I'd rather start a cycle at a Getaway/Thunderbird, than a Felon/Firebird. So while I do bag Zones, Felons, and even a PDx once in a while, those aren't discs that stay in the bag after they are beat in too much.

How overstable does an Emac start out? Is it a good cycling mold?

The idea of cycling is to cover the entire spectrum using one mold. It would make sense to start with a very overstable mold and keep beating them until they get understable.

Despite this, I don't choose a massively overstable mid to begin the cycle. Most new DX Rocs are beefy enough for most shots I need. To cover the very overstable shots I either use a premium plastic Gator (or equivalent) or I power down on a fairway driver. Anyone else do this?
I used to cycle drivers based on OS and US. Because PDs get squirrelly when they season, I would throw them from OS > Stable. In the Stable > US range I bagged Patriots. While I never worked an Icon Patriot to fully US, I bagged Excels while I was getting an Icon into those roles. Gave up on Patriots (and cycling drivers) though.

As far as cycling mids, I have never found a better candidate than DX Rocs. Fantastic when new and only get better as they beat in. The whole cycle is sublime. If I carry Rocs and Comets in the bag together, Comets are used for beat Roc shots where I don't want to risk losing my cherished beat Roc.

And that's the only downside that I've seen to the cycle. Beat discs are valuable because you can't go buy a replacement. And beating them to the right level takes time if you want it done correctly. All things considered, I see more pros to cycling than I see cons.

When it came to beat discs, I always tried to find a suitable replacement out of the box in the event the worst happened to tide me over until I could work something into its place. It's not the easiest to replace that disc with tens of thousands of throws on it though, for sure.