• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Feldberg putting clinic

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe it is the same thing Blake is always talking about with teaching people to short arm their putts when learning this technique. You have to accelerate and let the disc "pop" out of your hand. If you move your arm at a constant speed and try to release the disc with this technique, your results will be inconsistent. I get much less wobble when the disc pops from my hand and when I feel like my finger spring is good.

It's hard to reference these videos now, but I belive that is what Feldburg was talking about when Dave D of Innova would tell him he wasn't hitting it hard during tournaments.

timing plays a big role.

keep practicing. "You have to accelerate and let the disc pop out of your hand"

Dave said his wrist is slightly cocked because his front foot is slighty off center as well. his right foot and his thumb and facing the same direction. Think of the disc as a clock. the front of the disc facing the basket is 12. Blake said he starts with his thumb around 1:30 on the disc.

when you get the timing right, the acceleration and abrupt stop and that slight un-cocking of the wrist will be spot on.

I went out today to try this method. I did horrible. I started to revert back to my old style which is equally horrible. I'll continue to try this out to see if I will have any success.

I wonder what Blake thinks about this style of push putt.

Pat said:
. . . Think of the disc as a clock. the front of the disc facing the basket is 12. Blake said he starts with his thumb around 1:30 on the disc.

when you get the timing right, the acceleration and abrupt stop and that slight un-cocking of the wrist will be spot on.
^^^^^
Yes, this is what seems to work for me.

I practiced putting again this evening, and was hitting my target (a 2 x 6 board) with pretty good regularity out to 30 feet or a little further. Most misses didn't miss by much, which was also encouraging. I can't wait to try this on a real basket, but with 18 – 24" of snow forecast for tomorrow it may be a while.

Holding the disc around 1:30 (with 12:00 pointing towards the basket) imparted a touch of spin that added about ten feet to my comfortable putting range. Since the putting motion involves no active flicking of the wrist, adding spin this way did not seem to adversely affect accuracy. Quite the contrary, in fact.

plastic_fondler said:
this was footage from a clinic Dave gave at Burl's new disc shop down in San Jo.

It looks like Parque de la Raza to me. I've played there, and I even spent about 1/2 hour practice putting at that very same spot on the video.

So, where is the disc store? Who is Burl?

Okay, I have been practicing this a lot and I am starting to get the hang of it a little. I know blake has been preaching putting like this forever but watching the videos really helped me actually understand what I was supposed to be doing. I have had the greatest success with hard, beaded putters, same as what blake has been saying for years.

When I am putting correctly, I have entirely eliminated missing left or right which is great. Here are the problems I am having though for when I am not putting correctly. I miss right when I putt with my thumb and index finger instead of pushing it. I miss low when I putt nose down. I miss high when I release late. I think this will all work itself out with more practice, but I am already having decent results. Putting has always been an issue for me so if I can work this out, I could see myself playing open by the end of the year. I am super excited to have something to work towards again.

the hardest thing with this for me has been the grip. I have had problems finding one that is the most comfortable and with the best results. If i put to many fingers on the rim the disc will flutter with no life and/or sometimes spit wide right. I seem to get the best control when my pinky is just barely touching the rim and my index isn't quite curled under all the way. my other fingers fan out underneath the disc for more control. I will fan all my fingers on the bottom of the flight plate(minus index, that don't change ever) if I need the disc to go high over something then drop out immediately. I was actually able to do this last time I played, it was pretty amazing when I pulled it off

any word on a release date for said DVD or will we have to wait for it like the fundamentals DVD? or will these be part of the sequel to fundamentals?

rusch_bag said:
What would cause me to putt more nose down when I am outside than when I am in my basement?

im guessing you have a lower ceiling inside, and your trying to throw more of a line drive.

outside you try to loft it more, meaning you think you have it throw it a bit nose down to fall.

rusch_bag said:
What would cause me to putt more nose down when I am outside than when I am in my basement?
Another possibility is that you are putting nose down inside and outside, but the wind outside knocks down any nose-down putts. Ask me how I know this. :roll:

Monocacy said:
rusch_bag said:
Another possibility is that you are putting nose down inside and outside, but the wind outside knocks down any nose-down putts. Ask me how I know this. :roll:

I think that this was the case. It just feels so weird to me to do anything nose up when I have been trying to throw everything else nose down now for so long. Just need to get some muscle memory going.

I don't understand this putting style. Why would you erase all muscle memory for a style you can only use when there isn't any wind and when you're inside the circle? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this just feels awful to me. It wobbles like hell and I can't get any consistency.

Anyone else having similar experiences?

majorsick said:
I don't understand this putting style. Why would you erase all muscle memory for a style you can only use when there isn't any wind and when you're inside the circle? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this just feels awful to me. It wobbles like hell and I can't get any consistency.

Anyone else having similar experiences?

It's not going to be a quick fix to all your bad habbits, practice, practice, practice. Or maybe you are a spin putter, and there isn't anything wrong with that. My style is kind of a hybrid of both or the putting styles he discusses am I going to completely change that...no but I will use some of these points to help me out.

Latest posts