• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Daylight

Tape them on the top. It's way easier to see them from a distance.

In fact, if I was using those homemade ones, I think I'd cut off a 1 1/2 - 2 inch piece of duct tape, and try to encompass the battery and nearly all of the wire off of the LED. But looking at those LEDs, I don't know how well they'd hold up to hitting limbs.

booter where did you buy your initial supplies from? On ebay the batteries go for ~$1 for 10. I didn't check the LEDs that close but it looked like they were also around $0.10 a piece. I am not sure if they were the diffused or not.

Further doesn't taping them on top effect the flight more than taping it on bottom. if you think of the disc as a wing you are drastically altering its shape with the addition of the led on top.

I don't think the light affects the flight as much as people think. I was out throwing Rocs in the field earlier this evening with lights, and found them just as easy to hyzer, anhyzer, fly straight, et al. I feel like maybe I lose some distance, but that may have to do with not being able to focus on a target far away.

The vast majority of KC golfers tape their lights on the top. Making my discs easy to find is my #1 priority.

since i was playing today and didnt have time to order online. i bought them at a radio shack. expensive crap!!. leds were like 4 bucks for 4 and batteries were friggin 11 for 4 batteries. im ordering more online so i can toss some to my friends as they are much cheaper as shown in the link posted above.

i put a beacon on top of my putter but the main driving discs i put it underneath . putting it on top sometimes makes the tape come off fast. on the underside i havnt had one problem of it even trying to come off .even submerged in water.

also. they light up champ/z plastic very well as you can see above. the leds were so bright i had no problem seeing the disc from 200+ feet out. very bright.opaque stuff i guess you could put it on top but if the disc flips over your kinda screwed

Booter, did you use one of the white ultrabrights? What're the specs on it? (The ones on HB all seem to need 3.2v, just curious if a cr2032 can drive it?)

ok edit my post. these are 5mm not 10mm. but as you can see still bright as hell. the pics dont do it justice.

chiggins. im not sure if its an ultrabright but heres the specs

intensity:7000mcd
viewing angle:30 degrees
FW current: 25ma
FW supply: 3.3v

and i just realized the battery is a damn cr2025 not a cr2032 like i asked for. i guess the guy grabbed the wrong one . but as you can see it works. im tempted to leave on set on and see how long the battery can power the led for.

also. for reference here are the ones that furthur posted.

booter said:
FW current: 25ma
FW supply: 3.3v

Gotcha. According to this (if I understood it correctly), that'll run a little dimmer than it could be, but it's in bounds (and better still, doesn't need a resistor). Neat!

Looking at the HB site's different LED's, it sounds like putting out 7000mcd at a 30 degree viewing angle is pretty bad-ass. Did you have any trouble seeing it when you came up on it? Would a 50-70 degree view angle with less output have made it easier? Or did it fire up the clear champ plastic enough to make it irrelevant?

honestly man. I could see the damn thing 200+ feet out after I shot a short hole. it was so bright the disc lit up the ground when walking. I had no problems finding the disc at all. waaay brighter than beacons. the woder angle would give off a better distribution of light. these wrked good enough for me though. everybody else had beacons and really wanted the led setup instead. nobody complained about it being too bright or that it bothered them in any way.

booter said:
. im tempted to leave on set on and see how long the battery can power the led for.

On instrucables it says a throwie will last 1-2 weeks. Which is crazy long if you are disconnecting the LED between rounds. I have been trying to convince some people at work to go in on this with me. When someone raises the point it is a pain to turn off (not really it should be unsticking tape). My counter argument is that they are so cheap you could just let them run 24 7 and replace them.

agreed. I have everybody in mu group wanting to switch to these after last night. I read that in intructables but didn't know it was continuous. should of realized since these were pictured in trees lol. its great though. these would last a few months of glow rounds . maybe even more depending on how much glow u play.

I didn't even bother pre taping them. I just slid the led over the battery then put packing tapeover both. held up great considering what it went through. then when your done. just pull the led separate from the batt. very simple,cost effective,and bright!!

2thumbs up to UnicedmeMan for posting the link.

booter said:
agreed. I have everybody in mu group wanting to switch to these after last night. I read that in intructables but didn't know it was continuous. should of realized since these were pictured in trees lol. its great though. these would last a few months of glow rounds . maybe even more depending on how much glow u play.

I didn't even bother pre taping them. I just slid the led over the battery then put packing tapeover both. held up great considering what it went through. then when your done. just pull the led separate from the batt. very simple,cost effective,and bright!!

2thumbs up to UnicedmeMan for posting the link.

Glad I could hold you down. Like I said, beacons have somewhat gone the way of the dodo here.

Couple extra points:
1- When it gets really cold you really do want to tape the leads to the battery then tape the light assembly to the disc. Trust me.

2- When doing (1) make sure you do it when both the disc and the tape are warm. The glue from the tape just doesn't work that well when it's cold.

3- I've found that the clear duck tape brand works pretty well but regardless of tape brand, make sure you really work the tape into the disc when applying.

And that's it. Some folks around here have experimenting with blinking throwies which are pretty cool. I'll sometimes tape the light off center for cool effects. I've always taped the light to the top of the disc without much effect on the flight (I generally play glow with a roc and putter which are opaque).

Anyone know a good place to order online/buy locally the LEDs for cheap that doesn't involve a $25 minimum order from China?

JimW said:
Anyone know a good place to order online/buy locally the LEDs for cheap that doesn't involve a $25 minimum order from China?

ebay

Thanks. Put in a bid on ebay and Super Bright looks good too. They don't have a minimum order if you're ordering within the US, though there's a minimum shipping/handling charge of $5.

yup
got some of those bobber lights
and a couple of Axe discs

but darkness here and now is combined with sub zero temps

I don't mind playing in the cold and I will play throughout the winter
but it is much nicer in the sunshine

If you glow in colder temperatures, do yourself a favor and pay a little extra for something like this. Many a tape will loose it's stickiness in the cold, especially when exposed to some moisture, folks around here have had a lot of success with tape like the tape mentioned above. It is a bit costy but it will last you a while.

Latest posts