• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Daylight

TeamTollandDG said:
So it really sucks around here when the darkness comes.

Charlie Murphy?
charlie_murphy.jpg

holy shit those throwies are awesome. And it says it should last for 1-2 weeks at the cost you might not even need an off switch just throw them in the trunk.

Come on guys, it's not rocket science. I buy LEDs from Radio Shack for about a buck a piece (brighter that the throwies) a few batteries at Albertsons (5 bucks) and some duct tape. I've been using the same lights for two seasons now; I take the LEDs off power after the round and the batteries last the better part of the season.

Bummer that that course takes out the baskets, there are a few parks here we can't play after sunset, but most are open. Maybe you can take a few baskets and set up a safari course.

But going glow is neither expensive or hard to do. Why only play on the weekends, go glow and huk all year.

im gonna have to try the led and battery. i usually use fishing beacons but as often as we play they dont ever keep them in stock fast enough for us to play every week.

Just got back from our glow league. I use the "throwies" set up while most everyone else uses the bobber lights. Both work; mine are cheaper, but the bobber lights are significantly more visible.

I have a question though; we've been debating whether to put some glow sticks on the baskets or not. What do you guys do? I know some hardcore guys say to do nothing, but I find putting impossible without anything.

we use the cheap glow sticks from a dollar store. play a day round and attach the sticks in the center. then the 2nd round theyre all lit up and ready. we also have these small lamps with 10 leds on them or so. they have magnets on the bottom so you can sit them on top of the basket and the leds shine down. havnt tried these yet so tomorrow night will be a good time to test them

for the record. ive played with no glows on the basket. if its a full moon out you dont need any kinda of light on the basket.

A guy I play with here found some led light wire with a battery pack that works great. Just put the wire in the chains and putt right at it. Looks cool as hell too.

I say don't light up the basket. For me it adds little to the experience unless it is a course I have never played.

Another vote for don't light up the basket. If it's a course you play often, you pretty much know where the basket is.

MattE said:
Just got back from our glow league. I use the "throwies" set up while most everyone else uses the bobber lights. Both work; mine are cheaper, but the bobber lights are significantly more visible.

If you use the white LEDs for the throwie setup they are obnoxiously bright.

booter said:
got some white leds and some batts. gonna try them tonight. even in the daylight the whites a friggin bright! ill post back with my thoughts.

Don't be surprised if folks ask you to cover up your LED. It will seriously destroy your night vision.

I also vote against lighting up the basket. Part of glow's appeal is having to imagine where things are.

uNicedmeMan said:
booter said:
got some white leds and some batts. gonna try them tonight. even in the daylight the whites a friggin bright! ill post back with my thoughts.

Don't be surprised if folks ask you to cover up your LED. It will seriously destroy your night vision.

I don't have any whites. The only clear ones I have actually glow yellow. The red and those clear ones are the brightest and no one has mentioned anything about them being too bright. I tape them to the bottom of my discs though. Perhaps they would be brighter on the top of my discs.

Furthur said:
I also vote against lighting up the basket. Part of glow's appeal is having to imagine where things are.

Plus this is always a built in excuse for missed putts.

After you first round of glow you should have a pretty good idea where things are. The key for me is finding the trees around the basket. If you have general idea where the basket is from afar that is all you need.

What is the best way to tape those little lights onto the disc?

Like... where and what kind of tape and what kind of tape pattern? I'm guessing the center of the bottom with duct or electrical in an X pattern, maybe?

Are the red LEDs the best then - brightest and don't mess up night vision?

----------

Also, I like to take a mini flashlight with me and shine it on the basket before I walk back and putt. I am almost always totally alone but, if I was in a group or event would this be considered against good etiquette/rude etc ? Mostly at night I go out and throw a couple holes that I know over and over but... I would like to get along right.

i use duct tape, it has yet to fail. I put it on a few nights prior so the glue has a chance to set. i just put an X over the led on top of the disc.

If i feel like getting crazy, i tape 2 of them on 1 disc. i know, crazy

I use one piece of black electrical tape and put the battery right in the middle on the bottom. Two different outings and not even the slightest sign of the tape failing, but it hasn't been terribly wet yet. The very first time we tested the lights we used clear packing tape. The grass also had some dew on it. The tape that I switched between discs failed pretty quick. The one I left on one disc lasted to the seventeenth hole. I would not recommend clear packing tape.
I'm afraid that duct tape would leave residue on the disc, so that's why I don't use that, since the electrical tape works fine and leaves no residue.

ok i got my glow round in and the leds work awesome!! bright as hell but not one person complained. suprisingly i didnt feel the leds and batterys make the disc perform different. i bought 5mm leds i believe and some 3v cr2025 batteries. one of my discs fell into the creek and nothing changed. so i tested it after the round and just submerged the led and battery in water without tape and it did nothing but stay on. im gonna be using these from now on as theyre cheaper and last longer than beacons.much more brighter. heres some pics.

im gonna be ordering these in bulk now . i bought these today on a whim and paid out the ass. but itll pay for itself soon enough. i didnt get the diffused leds mine were clear so it was brighter. im gonna have to try the others.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EWL9H74LX4EP286JFD/

EDIT* i used some industrial clear packing tape from work. about 3" wide. layed it in an X pattern over the led and batt. i hit limps,went into the creek and it held up fine.plus i put them on the underside,the leds shine bright enough to shine straight through the bottom