• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DD Ranger bag cleaning

Theone24

Has anyone had any success with throwing their Ranger Backpack in a dishwasher or washing machine. Most say they take a wet towel and smear the dirt around. I am highly allergic to poison ivy and typically do a super deep clean on all equipment when I get the itch throughout the season, so I'm looking more for removing possible Ivy oils than making it look clean.
Thanks,

I'd find some soap that is meant to get rid of poison ivy oils. Then I'd wash it outside with a garden hose and spray attachment and that soap. I wouldn't trust a dishwasher or washing machine, even on a gentle setting, to not pull at things with seams.

1) Tecnu says it's supposed to remove the oils from skin, clothing, tools, etc. right on the label.

2) From what I've read about Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac: the oil that causes iritation (urushiol) is particularly difficult to wash off your body with conventional soaps and such because it binds to skin. The thinner the skin is where you come in contact, the better it binds - hence the palms of your hands and soles of your feet are less susceptible.

It's supposed to come off of clothing and other items with normal detergent and/dishsoap because it doesn't bind to those substances like it does human skin.

No doubt, Tecnu will remove the oils from objects as it says.
No doubt, the good folks at Tecnu are happy with you using their product when ordinary products will suffice.

Agree.

I don't even buy technu or the way overpriced zanfel anymore for skin. If you think you rubbed against it get to water as quickly as possible. Alcohol, dish soap, lava soap, and mechanics soap seem to be about the same.

It really comes down to scrubbing very hard under running water very thoroughly as to not let it bind or at least get as much off as possible to not allow secondary exposure. I like to think of it as permanent marker getting on your skin. Rubbing a little technu lightly can't get that off. It comes down to scraping that layer of skin cells off to remove any unbound or non permanently bonded oil. Once it's there your pretty much stuck with it. As far as I know there isn't anything that truly breaks it down on a molecular level.

FWIW - Zanfel is expensive, but if you don't catch it before the rash develops, and you really got into it but good, Zanfel's the best stuff out there, bar nothing. Worth every penny of $40 when you're that miserable and it affects your ability to sleep. It has pumice in it to exfoliate so the ingredients can work below the surface of the skin.

The dishwasher risk is how it would handle heat and you for sure wouldn't want to use dish washer soap. Most contain bleach or harsh chemicals that would trash the color of the bag. Stick to the outside hose and dish soap.

Latest posts