• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

As far as the current stock star and champ destroyers go, which are people preferring? I'm going to order some gstars for the 3 man, but also wanted another type of destroyer. I remember a lot of people saying the liked the DX stamped champs, are the current stock stamps from the same batch?

As far as the current stock star and champ destroyers go, which are people preferring? I'm going to order some gstars for the 3 man, but also wanted another type of destroyer. I remember a lot of people saying the liked the DX stamped champs, are the current stock stamps from the same batch?

For current runs I can speak to star and Gstar. Gstar is a flippy destroyer right out of the box which is nice for that slot. For the recent run star destroyers. In my last order from innova there were 2 types. The normal tops and the vulcan looking tops. The normal tops flew like a destroyer should. Decent high speed stability, flipped just a touch and then came back. Pretty much fly like the numbers say. Now the vulcan like topped ones are amaze balls. Overstable goodness. Not PD2 topped overstable but right under it for stability. It has taken over my overstable slot. It would fall between the new runs of bottom stamps and the pd2 topped ones for stability. They really are nice and are fast for a destroyer. Im really digging them right now, so dont write them off until you have thrown one like I originally did.

Last edited:
For current runs I can speak to star and Gstar. Gstar is a flippy destroyer right out of the box which is nice for that slot. For the recent run star destroyers. In my last order from innova there were 2 types. The normal tops and the vulcan looking tops. The normal tops flew like a destroyer should. Decent high speed stability, flipped just a touch and then came back. Pretty much fly like the numbers say. Now the vulcan like topped ones are amaze balls. Overstable goodness. Not PD2 topped overstable but right under it for stability. It has taken over my overstable slot. It would fall between the new runs of bottom stamps and the pd2 topped ones for stability. They really are nice and are fast for a destroyer. Im really digging them right now, so dont write them off until you have thrown one like I originally did.

Nailed it perfectly.

I have a question for the avid destroyer guys... ^^ Sounds like you know your Destroyers.

How is a Destroyer "Supposed" to fly?
And for those who like the super beefy ones, how far are you able to throw them??

I was really loving the Lucid Trespass as my main Distance driver. I had tried the early 2009 AJ Destroyers w a normal D top (non Vulcan), in the past, and even a 171g was just way too OS for me to do anything with. So I just put them away, and figured I'd learn to appreciate them one day when I had better form.

Well that was a year + ago and I've worked my way back up from playing w only mids and putters, then adding FWs, and then Speed 12 stuff.

I was sending the heavy Trespasses out beyond 400ft and complemented it w an older Champ Destroyer for my Headwind Distance. As I began getting more and more comfortable laying into the Champ D's, I began forgetting about the Trespass. So when the G* D's came out, I picked up a 175g bc I anticipated it being a tad US. Well that disc has become my #1 Distance Driver and I feel like I can crush it. On a touch of a hyzer release it flips flat, glides forever, then fades strong at the end. On open holes (where I use a Driver anyway) I can get it out to 430-450 fairly consistenly. I've used it so much, its just now beginning to turn over into a headwind.

Well I figured since I'm flipping it now, that I should revisit my old AJ Destroyers and tossed one in the bag. Its a 171g moderate dome, but nowhere near poppy top and not exactly flat. Def not a destrulican. That thing still seems to basically fade out of my hand. I could put some OAT on it and get it out a little further, but its basically pointless. I also picked up a C-line PD2 to try, and I dont have ANYTHING for that monster.

I just see a lot of folks playing with Bosses and Destoyers who love them, but only throw them 350-375.

I dont consider myself to have a "big arm", but many of the 950+ rated guys I play with tell me I have good power.

Is there a different technique/approach I should be considering when throwing the beefy 12 speeds like the OS D's and PD2 ??

I fell in w a couple local guys while playing a casual round recently and, they were talking about how "flippy" the G* Destroyers were. We had just tee'd off on a hole that is a par 5, which starts with a 160ft 90* dogleg left through a wooded tunnel, then opens to a big wide open fairway that plays 375-425 to the pin with a late DL right onto the green. The tee shot is a simple putter/mid hyzer for a RHBH player, but I'm a lefty. So my weak FH left me behind their lie's by about 25 ft. We all had open looks onto the FW. Anyway, as they were talking about flippy G* D's I pulled mine out and blasted it out on a flat low laser from a standstill, covering an easy 350ft and passing their 2nd shots.

Its not a knock on those guys, they were better all-around players than me, with more experience, and good guys. I just gave this as an example to illustrate how destroyers are flying for me.

Its hard to judge if I really am getting them up to the speed and distance potential they are designed for.

But I guess when guys like Simon Lizotte, crush a putter 400ft (NO JOKE), its kind of a mute point lol.

Bottom Line is, I'd like to make use of my OS AJ destroyers, cause I have them, and feel really comfortable throwing the D now.

I could use some advise on how you guys are throwing them with success.

The overstable ones are just that, Overstable. I just use it as a longer firebird or a headwind distance driver. I can still get the OS destroyers to the upper 300's and 400' on a straight hyzer but I just use them as longer firebirds.

Now to me who a destroyer should fly is like this. Put it hard flat and maybe 20' off the ground and it will flip a touch and hold a straight anhyzer for most of the flight and hyzer out at the end. Or it should hyzerflip to flat on the same line. Getting that shot in the 450 to 500 range.

Ok fair enough. I'm not far off of that description then. My domey GStar will hyzer flip to flat and bomb out. A new 1st run *D will ride that long anny and fade at the end, they beat in to fly like my g star does brand new.

I went out to the field this eve and did just what you described w my beefy ones. Threw them hard and flat w a little OAT and after a little practice I was gettin some decent distance (350-ish). I guess I just don't really need something that OS very often. My C-PD or Orc handle pretty strong headwind and cover that mid to upper 300's pretty easy.

Thanks for the input, that's what I was looking for.

I just got my first destroyer today from the internet (usually throw wraiths but wanted to try them out). Could someone check out these pictures and see if I got the dreaded destrulcan? The top of the disc looks a little funny there's like a little ridge around the rim and the top domes out... but then again I don't really know what I'm looking for, and I could be imagining it. I was just hoping to get your average destroyer for my first. thanks.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 87
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 81
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 92
That weird little bit right before the dome is how the newest run has been coming out. When I looked at a big stack of x-outs at Innova east, they all had that same look. They are overstable, with moderate dome and good glide. Going to beat into an amazing destroyer, but definitely no turn when new.

I just got my first destroyer today from the internet (usually throw wraiths but wanted to try them out). Could someone check out these pictures and see if I got the dreaded destrulcan? The top of the disc looks a little funny there's like a little ridge around the rim and the top domes out... but then again I don't really know what I'm looking for, and I could be imagining it. I was just hoping to get your average destroyer for my first. thanks.

This is a good run, the two tone stamps are money. I have been hoarding them. The one you have is like my 167 blue one, domey only in the middle. These will start really overstable but will beat in nice. (Actually my main one has been beatin up for a year and still is in my OS slot but I can tell it has lost some stability.)

Thanks for the info, was debating returning it, so I didn't want to throw it and see how it flew. But it looks like now I'll use it for headwind drives until it beats in some :)

Last edited:
I am new to the world of destroyers. I picked up a star, and I like it. It fits in right where I thought it would. I have been throwing esp cranks for distance, just picked up a gstar tern, which is practically the same disc. I want something in between, would the gstar destroyer fit the bill?

I am new to the world of destroyers. I picked up a star, and I like it. It fits in right where I thought it would. I have been throwing esp cranks for distance, just picked up a gstar tern, which is practically the same disc. I want something in between, would the gstar destroyer fit the bill?
G-Star Destroyer will definitely be more stable than a Tern or Crank. So it probably won't fit 'in between'... but still a disc worth picking up.

So I picked up one of the new david wiggins destroyers about 2 weeks ago and have about 3 throws on it. This thing is junk. I think there is some sort of defect with mine. It is the most understable disc in my bag. I throw around 300-350ft and everytime I throw it flat it turns over and burns into the ground about 250ft out. Does not s-curve. Doesnt even think of coming back. The only way I can get it to fly is to throw a hyzer flip with it. Weird thing is I have two other destroyers and they are big hyzer discs for me. Don't know what to think. Has anyone found one almost unusably flippy out the box?

i picked out four randomly from my stash of 25 wiggins' and they are all money/beefy just like any of my older destros that i admire. of course i may be a bit biased because of that sick stamp. :p

Can we get a video of you throwing it, perhaps? I'm just curious...you got one of the max weight ones right? I also got a max weight one and its been perfectly overstable. No matter how hard I throw it, it always fades back.