• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Nope. They are still out there without patent numbers. Just saw one at a Scheels last weekend and I know GGGT had at least 5 the last time I went through their stack. New flexy star plastic and everything. Basically somebody at the factory was probably bored or trolling.

Carry on.

Lol, wow, okay that is some first class trolling right there, love it! Anyway, yeah mine all have patent numbers and are older. I will look out for those newer SDS's (although I'm not about to try and outbid people on FB auctions for overpriced discs anyway so no chance of me getting duped into paying too much for one).

I remember not be too confident in my star drawing skill in first grade. Definitely rocked the Jewish style star for most of that year.

I'm convinced people are ENTIRELY too hung up on Star Destroyers. By that I mean paying absurd amounts of money for what are perceived to be the best ones. You can find great Destroyers in any run. Paying more than double for a cool stamp is plain lunacy unless you plan on sitting on the discs for several years waiting for them to appreciate.

I've thrown just about every variant of Star Destroyer out there and there isn't a ton of difference between any of them. Like any other mold, some are stable, some aren't.

It's a great mold though, very versatile and dependable.

I'm convinced people are ENTIRELY too hung up on Star Destroyers. By that I mean paying absurd amounts of money for what are perceived to be the best ones. You can find great Destroyers in any run. Paying more than double for a cool stamp is plain lunacy unless you plan on sitting on the discs for several years waiting for them to appreciate.

I've thrown just about every variant of Star Destroyer out there and there isn't a ton of difference between any of them. Like any other mold, some are stable, some aren't.

It's a great mold though, very versatile and dependable.

If you pay more for a cool stamp, that's your own deal. Has nothing to do with Destroyers or not, that's a personal choice.

If you pay more for *- vs. S-DS that's confusing. It's a pen. If you pay tons for blind purchases, it's up to you (and to me it's a bit of madness, there's lots of good flying discs for normal prices). I agree there are lots of different kinds in different runs.

I completely disagree that there isn't a ton of difference between different star Destroyers. I've thrown ones that are white glass plate hard, and ones that are nearly G-star gummy. I've thrown ones that I could turn over from a slight hyzer flip and have drift back to middle for 425' and others that I could barely get 330' out of on a flat release. Some are real flat and some are crazy megadome. Most inconsistent disc I've seen. But the good thing is all of those different versions of it are awesome for a different shot. None are junk unless you have a ridiculous arm and an understable one, so I'm told. I like the turny ones too more than the megabeef.

Last edited:
If you pay more for a cool stamp, that's your own deal. Has nothing to do with Destroyers or not, that's a personal choice.

If you pay more for *- vs. S-DS that's confusing. It's a pen. If you pay tons for blind purchases, it's up to you (and to me it's a bit of madness, there's lots of good flying discs for normal prices). I agree there are lots of different kinds in different runs.

I completely disagree that there isn't a ton of difference between different star Destroyers. I've thrown ones that are white glass plate hard, and ones that are nearly G-star gummy. I've thrown ones that I could turn over from a slight hyzer flip and have drift back to middle for 425' and others that I could barely get 330' out of on a flat release. Some are real flat and some are crazy megadome. Most inconsistent disc I've seen. But the good thing is all of those different versions of it are awesome for a different shot. None are junk unless you have a ridiculous arm and an understable one, so I'm told. I like the turny ones too more than the megabeef.

I agree with this. I've thrown lots of Destroyers, champion and Star. There is a bit of inconsistency in flight pattern. That said, I've found quite a few that fly more or less like the numbers dictate. Never seen any ridiculously flippy ones. Seen some absolute pigs though, especially champion. I just think people are silly to pay the prices these "rare" discs seemingly demand. I also don't think the Boss is any worse a driver than the Destroyer. Yet you don't see guys going rabid for them.

And paying more or less for a disc based on someone's pen markings from Innova is also lunacy. Frankly I think Innova needs to get with the program and find a better way to mark the weights on their discs. Every company does it better than them right now, especially Lat 64. Half the time you can't tell the weight of a used Innova disc because the ink wears off.

Last edited:
At least Innova marks the weight in ink. Companies like discraft and mvp just use stickers. So if I go to sell a used one of those, I always have to scale weigh it every time. Granted Innova's weights aren't very accurate. I will always scale weigh a disc if a buyer asks but they almost never do which saves me some time.

Eh. If you know 100% what your gonna get paying a premium can be worth it to an extent. I'm generally willing to pay over retail (but not an absurd amount) for destroyers from particular runs because I know exactly how it will fly and feel. There is value in knowing what your getting instead of having to dig thru piles of retail destroyers from every place you find them trying to pick out good ones and potentially coming up empty. That being said, I'm not paying crazy $$$ for throwers. But if I had a lot of extra money I probably would

The S marking is real, esp if it has patent numbers. I'll pay good money for a lot of different molds with S and patent #. Call me a lunatic if you want, but they don't make star plastic like that any more

I started playing long before flight numbers and people paying crazy money for discs (other then certain USDGC rocs). Yes there are Certain Runs of Destroyers that are more swirly and Overstable IE like two runs of "S/DS" plastics. Other than that I would agree they are all pretty close as long as you know what you are looking for PLH/Dome wise. That being said people are stupid when it comes to buying discs now. Its a "Hey Im cool because I have this disc" but you can spend your money how ever you like. IF they REALLLY were that great don't you think Innova's guys would be throwing old runs? Guess what .... They don't!

Eh. If you know 100% what your gonna get paying a premium can be worth it to an extent. I'm generally willing to pay over retail (but not an absurd amount) for destroyers from particular runs because I know exactly how it will fly and feel. There is value in knowing what your getting instead of having to dig thru piles of retail destroyers from every place you find them trying to pick out good ones and potentially coming up empty. That being said, I'm not paying crazy $$$ for throwers. But if I had a lot of extra money I probably would

The S marking is real, esp if it has patent numbers. I'll pay good money for a lot of different molds with S and patent #. Call me a lunatic if you want, but they don't make star plastic like that any more

What's your max for a thrower? I can't go over $20 yet.

What's your max for a thrower? I can't go over $20 yet.

I spent about 40 on one destroyer last spring. 2013 USDGC pop top. I just had to have it and it's my favorite and longest destroyer. I don't know that id pay that much again, if I did it would just be a spontaneous "I need this" thing. I don't mind paying 20-30 for throwers I'm picky about, if I know exactly what I'm getting and not liking the retail options I can find at the time

I've got a USDGC Roc ITB (at least when it's dry out) that cost me $25. I've got some Destroyers and a CE Teebird that go in and out of the bag that I could probably sell for a good bit, but I didn't actually pay that much for them. I think $30 is probably my max for a thrower but I don't have anything ITB that actually costed that much. I always see the cool stuff going on FB and eBay like CE and KC Pro and 11x Teebirds or *D/FR Destroyers, and I wish I were willing to pay the kind of prices they want because I'd love to throw those discs, but it's just not worth it to me.

I also do experience those twinges when I step up to a hole with a disc that's basically irreplaceable and there's tall grass/thick bushes/water that I could throw into. If your best disc for a shot is super valuable then you're less likely to throw that disc if the shot is risky and thus less likely to get the best outcome on the hole, which I don't like.

Im not saying I Don't throw old Discs because I Do old Ching Rocs, Proline Firebirds and Leopards, Cam Todd Challengers all have spots in my bag and yeah I throw them around and over water. They are staples in my bag but im not paying the money for them some people do its ridiculous. Sorry for thread drift. Destroyers are cool!

I have two Destroyers, a used Blizzard one that I got pre-beat-in, and a new G* one. They're both quite nice to throw.

Plus, it's just fun to say "Destroyer." Destroyer. Destroyer Destroyer Destroyer.

Destroyer.

I have two Destroyers, a used Blizzard one that I got pre-beat-in, and a new G* one. They're both quite nice to throw.

Plus, it's just fun to say "Destroyer." Destroyer. Destroyer Destroyer Destroyer.

Destroyer.

Lol, welcome to DGCR! Destroyer, Destroyer, Destroyer, Destroyer to you as well. :)

Destroyer.

I like saying "Star Destroyer"

And may the Sig be with you.

I just picked up a dyed champ destroyer out of curiosity, so we'll see how that goes. Wondering how it'll fly compared to my *DS's.