• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I know a guy locally that was selling 2 first run, great condition destroyers for $75/disc, or $120 for both. $150 for one of these STAR DESTROYERS that are pretty and swirly is insane. I'll just buy the Les White stamp on champion plastic for $22 on ebay.

I know a guy locally that was selling 2 first run, great condition destroyers for $75/disc, or $120 for both. $150 for one of these STAR DESTROYERS that are pretty and swirly is insane. I'll just buy the Les White stamp on champion plastic for $22 on ebay.

I'd guess at that price, he was selling a little under market value. I mean if guys on FB are paying $150 just for swirls and a nice stamp, I imagine they'd pay as much for a really good condition first run. Still, I have no idea; prices on collectibles are weird sometimes. Although I'd love to have one of these Armed Forces stamped Destroyers, knowing myself, if I did have one I'd almost certainly sell it at the currently inflated prices. I mean, if I could get $75 for it, that would buy me like 5 good throwers (or 6+ if they were F2's or used). I already have like 20 Destroyers; why do I need yet another one sitting on my shelf collecting dust that I won't get around to throwing for years...

These are going for about $150 or so, depending on swirls and color blend. I have #26/110 coming to me!!!

Lolololololol

Translation: "I payed $50 (or less) for one and think I can flip it for at least triple my money in a week or two"

I'm always teetering between max weight star destroyers, and max weight champ terns. It feels like I'll only throw one or the other depending on how I'm feeling/throwing that day and/or the course.

Its weird because I want something a little more OS than a champ tern, but a little less OS than a star destroyer. Then when I have a star destroyer finally beat in a lot, it basically turns into a champ tern.

I'm about to try some echo star destroyers, I had one in the past (a 168g super flippy one when I first started) and am excited to have found some blue echo star destoyers (blue and pink echo star are available once in a while). Maybe these will be finally what I'm looking for.

I'm always teetering between max weight star destroyers, and max weight champ terns. It feels like I'll only throw one or the other depending on how I'm feeling/throwing that day and/or the course.

Its weird because I want something a little more OS than a champ tern, but a little less OS than a star destroyer. Then when I have a star destroyer finally beat in a lot, it basically turns into a champ tern.

I'm about to try some echo star destroyers, I had one in the past (a 168g super flippy one when I first started) and am excited to have found some blue echo star destoyers (blue and pink echo star are available once in a while). Maybe these will be finally what I'm looking for.

What you want is a Krait. Trust me.

I bag mostly Destroyers but I always have a Krait in the bag as well. Flips up from a hyzer and goes straight for a loooong time then has a gentle fade. Takes a lot less power to throw than a Destroyer, but handles power and wind better than a Tern. You can work it on some long anhyzer lines too.

Last edited:

I tried champ kraits. It flew like a beat in star PD but touch-ier (flew nice, but about 30ft shorter than my star destroyer or champ terns).

Star destroyers and Champ Terns just seem to get that 30-50ft of extra D with the same effort.

I bag mostly Destroyers but I always have a Krait in the bag as well. Flips up from a hyzer and goes straight for a loooong time then has a gentle fade. Takes a lot less power to throw than a Destroyer, but handles power and wind better than a Tern. You can work it on some long anhyzer lines too.

What plastic are you throwing? I had a gstar that I tossed for a while, started out beefy but broke in real nice after a while until I lost it.

I think the reason Terns go farther is because they do have that long high speed turn portion which really extends the flight. Kraits are very straight so unless you force them over they don't have as much carry.

Echo star Destroyers can definitely be a lot less stable than their star counterparts but it really depends on the run. I still throw old pop top echos from around '09 and they fly very similar to a star Destroyer when new but they beat in faster so they get to the ultimate boomer stage quicker. I keep one in the bag for max D shots.

G* Destroyers work well for us weenie arms that want something more stable than Terns but Star Destroyers can be overstable.

That's true, I bagged a couple and loved them, but played in the woods often and the over stability was beat out of them quick.

The thing with g star is that aesthetically the disc looks perfect even after some big direct full speed tree hits, but the flight changes are pronounced.

So after some big tree hits my gstar destroyer turned into a champ tern :mad:

What I like about OS star destroyers is that you can throw them flat and even turn them over and just trust the disc. Just like how I can release a beefy champ tern with some hyzer and attack long tight fairways and trust it to penetrate.

I've been bagging a G* Destroyer all winter, and it has been awesome for max D shots. The domey G* are dope, and the flat G* are glideless flippy turds (in my experience).

On a side not, the *DS I've gotten recently are amazing. Nice grippy star plastic, and they have the "PD2" style nose with a nice even dome. Starting off beefy, but not stupid OS. They are lovely.

That's true, I bagged a couple and loved them, but played in the woods often and the over stability was beat out of them quick.

The thing with g star is that aesthetically the disc looks perfect even after some big direct full speed tree hits, but the flight changes are pronounced.

So after some big tree hits my gstar destroyer turned into a champ tern :mad:

What I like about OS star destroyers is that you can throw them flat and even turn them over and just trust the disc. Just like how I can release a beefy champ tern with some hyzer and attack long tight fairways and trust it to penetrate.

I don't know, man, it sounds like what you want is a disc that acts like a broken in Star Destroyer out of the box and that's as durable as a Star Destroyer, and that's a pretty tall order. As has been stated, GStar Destroyers start out like a broken in Star (the Pop tops are a bit more stable than the flat ones). Pro Destroyers can mimic broken in Star Destroyers too, but they are going to break in about as fast as a GStar (or sometimes faster). Honestly, I don't think any fresh disc is going to have quite the combination of glide and HSS of a broken in Star Destroyer. If you're willing to look outside of Innova, I'd say you might find a Prodigy D2 or D3 that has the stability you are looking for, but they're not going to have that broken in Star Destroyer glide (until they are broken in).

I think the reason Terns go farther is because they do have that long high speed turn portion which really extends the flight. Kraits are very straight so unless you force them over they don't have as much carry.

Echo star Destroyers can definitely be a lot less stable than their star counterparts but it really depends on the run. I still throw old pop top echos from around '09 and they fly very similar to a star Destroyer when new but they beat in faster so they get to the ultimate boomer stage quicker. I keep one in the bag for max D shots.

Yeah the ethos are wierd. Some of them are awesome, some not so much. I lost a go to echo that was an older run a while back and haven't found anything to replace it.

I was able to grab few more of my favorite Destroyers from the local store. I always have to buy these when I see a Destroyer with this profile.

Just an awesome flier. Starts out nice and stable to overstable! After a few months it becomes a bomber.

dessukuva.png

I was able to grab few more of my favorite Destroyers from the local store. I always have to buy these when I see a Destroyer with this profile.

Just an awesome flier. Starts out nice and stable to overstable! After a few months it becomes a bomber.

dessukuva.png

Oh yeah, those are a great run. I stocked up heavily when they were available everywhere. Unfortunately most of mine are 175g and my preferred weight from that run is 171g. They seem to have the most dome/glide but still have the same stability.

Stiff. Snub-nosed. Perfect amount of dome. Rides the wind like a ninja.

I'm not sure how many of yours that describes but I hope they are numerous.

Last edited: