• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I was able to grab few more of my favorite Destroyers from the local store. I always have to buy these when I see a Destroyer with this profile.

Just an awesome flier. Starts out nice and stable to overstable! After a few months it becomes a bomber.

dessukuva.png

Those are the ones I am talking about. Straight $$$ all day erry day.

I also like these ones. Slightly less stable (lower PLH and a bit rounder profile) and bombers out of the box!

IMG_20150624_203535.jpg

I had kind of given up on Destroyers (and definitely blizzard plastic) but couldn't pass up this one at PIAS today.
Flies great and seems to be a keeper for my relative noodle arm, even in a lot of wind today.
155g poptop and check out those big flight plate bubbles!

I have 2 star Destroyers that have the look of blizzard plastic wings (the striations and dimples). I will try to get pictures soon to show what I am talking about. Does anyone else have any like that?

I have 2 star Destroyers that have the look of blizzard plastic wings (the striations and dimples). I will try to get pictures soon to show what I am talking about. Does anyone else have any like that?

Are they McBeth stamps? There are some lightweight McBeth's that are blizzard-y

I have seen them too. I believe Innova has given up on the "Starlite" marketing, at least for Destroyers. You can buy stock stamped McBeth Star Destroyers all the way down to the 130's weight-wise, which I'm pretty sure is not possible without bubbles. If you actually look at one of these, the bubbles in the rim are pretty obvious, so I'm guessing any "Star" Destroyer below the 160's is probably actually Starlite plastic.

Are they McBeth stamps? There are some lightweight McBeth's that are blizzard-y

Nope. Avery 3 lines.

I have seen them too. I believe Innova has given up on the "Starlite" marketing, at least for Destroyers. You can buy stock stamped McBeth Star Destroyers all the way down to the 130's weight-wise, which I'm pretty sure is not possible without bubbles. If you actually look at one of these, the bubbles in the rim are pretty obvious, so I'm guessing any "Star" Destroyer below the 160's is probably actually Starlite plastic.

It is a little harder to see in the pictures, but the wings are very bubbly and blizzardish. Both weigh in at 167g and are unthrown. Here they are:

jF8L9Fpl.jpg

mjN8bbWl.jpg

MdfJj1rl.jpg

TayJWsOl.jpg

It is a little harder to see in the pictures, but the wings are very bubbly and blizzardish. Both weigh in at 167g and are unthrown. Here they are:

Okay, I know what you are talking about there. I don't think that is actually Blizzard/Starlite, or at least not intentionally so. I should say, I don't think those are caused by the additive Innova puts in to make Blizzard/Starlite discs which causes the bubbles in the plastic. I've actually owned some older patent numbers SDS-marked Destroyers that had that sort of thing going on in the wing as well, near where it connects to the flight plate. They were also older, stiff Star plastic in the upper 160's and had that sort of blizzardy look/feel on top of the wing. They were also quite overstable and didn't fly at all like bubbles-in-the-rim-blizzard discs, which tend to be understable turds.

I don't have a Destroyer like that, but my Champion Krait (Paul McBeth sig) is 160g and absolutely looks like a Blizzard Champ in the rim. IMHO they're just calling all of them "Champion" so that they can put McBeth's name on it.

Okay, I know what you are talking about there. I don't think that is actually Blizzard/Starlite, or at least not intentionally so. I should say, I don't think those are caused by the additive Innova puts in to make Blizzard/Starlite discs which causes the bubbles in the plastic. I've actually owned some older patent numbers SDS-marked Destroyers that had that sort of thing going on in the wing as well, near where it connects to the flight plate. They were also older, stiff Star plastic in the upper 160's and had that sort of blizzardy look/feel on top of the wing. They were also quite overstable and didn't fly at all like bubbles-in-the-rim-blizzard discs, which tend to be understable turds.

Those destroyers were probably from the original starlite plastic. If you go back to the pdga forum Dave D talked about it a ton there. It was a plastic additive that was supposed to get wide wings into lighter weights, before blizzard was ever conceived. They had bosses and destroyers, and maybe even a few katanas if I remember. Same name for the plastic but not the same end result, these were all stiff plastic and massively overstable. I think he said whatever the additive was caused the wing to shrink, and that's what made them so beefy.

I have a 167 star destroyer with some bubbles in the wing just like that. It's my least stable destroyer- but still pretty stable. The few blizzard discs I bought a couple years ago were flippy garbage in comparison.

This blizzard with the big bubbles in the flight plate is meaty.
The other blizzard destroyer I had turned out to be flippy and pretty useless, so pretty happy I got lucky w this one.

Seems like most of the star destroyers that have been run lately have very soft flight plates.. Hard to find any of the nice ones with a stiffer plate. Many also seem to have a flatter wing..

Is innova struggling with the consistency of this disc?

Having worked in the metal fab industry for years in the past, I can attest to what Dave said about getting the plastics. We'd order aluminum and titanium and each lot would differ in some way, I'd expect non ISO 9000 certified materials to be even more inconsistent in their runs and blends.

If ya'll haven't seen it, there's an AMA with Dave Dunipace and he talks about some of the plastic inconsistencies they have. From the plastic supplier each "lot" is different, and has somewhat of a different blend, even having something off 1% could throw off the feel, texture or stiffness.

I've noticed too that a newer star DS I got has a bit more stiffer flight plate than what I usually find. The store had 4 in stock, I grabbed them all, because once that plastic lot is gone, it's gone.

Seems like most of the star destroyers that have been run lately have very soft flight plates.. Hard to find any of the nice ones with a stiffer plate. Many also seem to have a flatter wing..

Is innova struggling with the consistency of this disc?

Lol do you never read this thread or any of the Innova threads on high speed drivers? Innova (and most disc manufacturers) has always been inconsistent in molding drivers. The faster the disc, the more susceptible it is to flight differences due to molding inconsistencies in the different plastic blends because tiny differences in wing height have a big effect on stability.

Lol do you never read this thread or any of the Innova threads on high speed drivers? Innova (and most disc manufacturers) has always been inconsistent in molding drivers. The faster the disc, the more susceptible it is to flight differences due to molding inconsistencies in the different plastic blends because tiny differences in wing height have a big effect on stability.

yeah i do lol, it just seemed that lately it has gotten worse. I remember going into stores and seeing a handful of good destroyers.. now they seem fairly rare.

anybody thrown the LUSTER yet??

I have one and it feels great but I'm gonna collect it since it was the first stamp

I have a few throwers on the way but am curious if anyone else has thrown one yet

yeah i do lol, it just seemed that lately it has gotten worse. I remember going into stores and seeing a handful of good destroyers.. now they seem fairly rare.

I think that innova probably sells more destroyers now and has to run them more often, resulting in more variations floating around.

moorent said:
I think that innova probably sells more destroyers now and has to run them more often, resulting in more variations floating around.

That could be true. Seems like the Destroyer used to be just "one of many" drivers in Innova's lineup. Lots of pros threw them, but it wasn't necessarily all that dominant over Wraiths and XCals and Orcs and whatnot, especially among lower level pros and ams. Now the Destroyer really seems like it's been knighted as "The One True Driver" and just about anyone who throws Innova bags one or more Destroyers.

More runs would probably increase the problems with consistency, especially if Innova were just selling more plastic in general and had to buy more lots. If you saw the recent video AMA of Dave D that CCDG put out, he talked about how when they order plastic lots, it's really just all over the board in terms of what they order and what they get. I think the variation in plastic is really what causes the variations in stability and shape, so more runs could exacerbate the problem.

I don't even throw blue plastic really and I'm not collector but how pretty is this.. also flat-ish and 171g.. :thmbup:

Attachments

• unspecified.jpg
    unspecified.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 93