• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I don't even throw blue plastic really and I'm not collector but how pretty is this.. also flat-ish and 171g.. :thmbup:

GAH in the heart! Love swirls, just so damn sexy.

I added all my *DS back to the bag today after the round I had. I'm actually discing down with them, taking bosses out of my bag. I reworked some things recently and wasn't getting any flip on my bosses, champ or star. *DS's to the rescue.

So I did a practice round today (lots of holes where I threw all my drivers, mids, putters, and/or whole bag) with the current run max weight echostar destroyers:

jUpQAsQl.jpg

I mentioned before I wanted to find a disc that sits between [in overstability] a current run star destroyer (specifically bottom stamped) and a beefy champion tern (all max weight).

PtbNw9Ql.jpg

for comparison I used a brand new CFR, and an x-out double stamp champion terns (all max weight) which were noticeably less domed and more overstable than normal champion terns.

the verdict:

weirdly, the echostar destroyers had less high speed stability and hyzerflipped a little quicker/easier than the champion terns, glide was about the same, and they had similar fade [with backhand]. on sidearm the echostar destroyers were noticeably less overstable compared to champion terns.

I did rub off the flashing (with a smooth stone) on the echostar destroyers before throwing.

so these echostar destroyers, when brand new, were very champion tern-like. Not what I was looking for (something in-between a beefy champion tern and normally overstable star destroyer). Its not a huge negative though, because I found replacements for my terns if ever I wanted to drop them (to minimize molds) and can just cycle my beat destroyers in that in-between spot.

so if anyone wants that easy to hyzerflip, less overstable alternative to star the echostar is noticeably more so.

I mentioned before I wanted to find a disc that sits between [in overstability] a current run star destroyer (specifically bottom stamped) and a beefy champion tern (all max weight).

have you tried the semi-soft last run of AJ's? The ones that have a good destroyer shape but feel like Gstar though they are stamped star?

have you tried the semi-soft last run of AJ's? The ones that have a good destroyer shape but feel like Gstar though they are stamped star?

the bottom stamped star destroyers I have are the semi gummy gstar kind.

I just picked up a McBeth Star Destroyer.... my noodle arm is not worthy

Hopefully it will beat in a little

Your flat terns are more stable? Other way around for me.

same here. domey champs more stable.

ok so I took some pics of my champ tern's, and echo star destroyer's PLH:

first off here are my most over stable champ terns which are coincidentally my flattest:

ZaKXBYGl.jpg

my most domey champ tern:

m9dUglIl.jpg

PLH comparison with domey champ tern (maroon) and flat champ (pink)

3y6Qu4Kl.jpg

PLH comparison between echostar destroyer and flat OS pink champ tern:

DI5vS5nl.jpg

PLH comparison between echostar destroyer and domey flippy maroon champ tern:

Pot6ALel.jpg

dome of echostar destroyer:

T0mKKjVl.jpg

my conclusion:

the PLH of the OS champion terns (pink and blue) was higher than both the domey champion tern (maroon) as well as the echo star destroyer. the PLH of the domey champion tern (maroon) is identical to the echostar destroyer.

being around these forums and soaking in the info for the past year and a half I realize that PLH is the best factor in predicting the stability/overstability/understability of a given disc.

i guess the most ideal way to buy discs (if you are looking for a specific stability) is to find a control disc and comparing it to the potential discs you want to purchase.

I'm sure there are echostar destroyers (or any type of destroyers) out there that are more OS, but the only way to reliably predict its stability is to compare it's PLH to an overstable destroyer, stable destroyer, and/or understable destroyer in person.

Last edited:
Correct. Like to like only unless you have notated exactly how much lower/higher the destroyer plh is compared to one tern and measured it. Then you can use the tern as a control instead...but that seems weird, given that you already have a destroyer.

Most echo I've seen around here have low plh. Dunno if that's the current run or what.

Correct. Like to like only unless you have notated exactly how much lower/higher the destroyer plh is compared to one tern and measured it. Then you can use the tern as a control instead...but that seems weird, given that you already have a destroyer.

Most echo I've seen around here have low plh. Dunno if that's the current run or what.

^i remember you often posting PLH pictures and I think I even bought one of your more OS AJ star destroyers some time ago (its in storage just in case I need a more OS destroyer). Thanks!

I'm kind of annoyed at myself for not comparing PLH's of my control disc (my OS champ terns) to these echostar destroyers.

But, it is kind of satisfying knowing that the PLH of the echostar destroyer is definitely lower than my OS Champ Terns confirming the more understable flights (compared to the OS champ terns) were out during the field practice round today.

At one point I was swearing obscenities at the discs [echostar destroyers] for not being more OS than my beefy champ terns, because I just assumed that they would be a destroyer .

In the end though I'm pretty excited to see what these echostar's can do on actual golf lines now that I know what I know (actual throws with them and seeing actual PLH comparisons)... who knows maybe they'll be tunnel shot hyzerflip distance masters and open field distance bombers... I know now I just have to put some more hyzer on them.

Ugh. Now I have to start looking for high plh terns. I was just depending on dome.

Ugh. Now I have to start looking for high plh terns. I was just depending on dome.

sometimes you get the magical combination of dome + high PLH, and maybe stiffness (THE TRIFECTA) .

thats what I found last year with those factory second SDS patent # destroyers from the innova factory store. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67700&highlight=runningdoc&page=97

too bad I still had a noodle arm back then, because I ended up selling them :eek: lol although they were only 167g they were stiff glidey super OS beefcakes (confirmed by bigger 500ft power arms putting some stank on them during field tosses).

but now I know ;) its just as well, the last thing I want is to be addicted to expensive azzed SDS patent #'d domey high PLH stiff star destroyers.

The new runs of echo destroyers are such garbage. The older runs were so good. Slightly stiff, domey, decent PLH. The best glidey hyzer discs ever. Good fade, no real turn, but not OS. Just that perfect neutral glidey destroyer.

The new runs of echo destroyers are such garbage. The older runs were so good. Slightly stiff, domey, decent PLH. The best glidey hyzer discs ever. Good fade, no real turn, but not OS. Just that perfect neutral glidey destroyer.

^yeah I've been avoiding saying it, but if you're looking for a destroyer these current run echostar destroyers suck.

the ones I have (even in max weight) have similar PLH, and flight to normal champion Terns. - even brand new. :( :gross:

I'm not surprised, that profile pic makes it look super understable for a Destroyer. Needing to know all this is the crappy thing with Destroyers...but when you've seen the extremes you don't even need to measure PLH to get an idea of it will be flippy or meathook, it's pretty easy to spot from the wing shape (nose and underside).

sometimes you get the magical combination of dome + high PLH, and maybe stiffness (THE TRIFECTA) .

thats what I found last year with those factory second SDS patent # destroyers from the innova factory store. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67700&highlight=runningdoc&page=97

too bad I still had a noodle arm back then, because I ended up selling them :eek: lol although they were only 167g they were stiff glidey super OS beefcakes (confirmed by bigger 500ft power arms putting some stank on them during field tosses).

but now I know ;) its just as well, the last thing I want is to be addicted to expensive azzed SDS patent #'d domey high PLH stiff star destroyers.

Yeah I originally had 7 of those, but I only have 1 left, which I'm throwing. I have a hard time justifying keeping and throwing (and potentially losing) discs that I can sell for $75 each (which is what I sold most of those for), even if they are great throwers. I also have a stack of max weight Grand Slams that I haven't thrown yet, but they are supposed to be great throwers and they don't fetch quite such a high price (yet) so maybe I'll throw one of those when I get around to needing a new Destroyer. Throwers can last me a couple years right now because I only really get out to a big course once a week or so. My current go-to is just getting to champ Tern level (maybe -1.5, 2.5) after about 2 years in the bag. It's an old patent numbers factory second I bought 3 or 4 years ago (marked just DS oddly enough), but it has been a great thrower.

these echostar destroyers are less stable than normal champion terns now (only 2nd day of throwing them). hyzer flips almost like a star katana/tern/sidewinder. :(

people I was playing with today were laughing at the hyzerflips. could be potentially useful for tunnel shots/distance/rollers though.

I recently picked up a Blizzard Destroyer 144g in Blurple. I was able to play a round with it and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure if it would flip like a paper plate or be to much disc for me, but it ended up fitting right in my bag.

I still have to field test it and see what kind of range I'm getting out of it. I threw a hand full of times in play last week, the first time was on a 300ft up hill hole and I ended up parking it.

I'll post pictures when I get home if you're interested.

^ Yeah, the Blizzards are bombers. I currently bag a 156 I dye and that thing soars for days. I love that I can trust it won't turn right. Only in a headwind will it start to go right but it will not turn and burn. Seems to be straighter and handle headwind much better than my 159g Boss.