• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

So Haleigh and I might try and go play a new course this weekend and I'd like to hear opinions on where we should go. We will have our 1 year old son with us in the jogging stroller so keep that in mind. It also looks like rain tomorrow so mud pit courses are a no go. What we haven't played, starting with the highest rated:

Cherry Creek in Canton (probably farther than we want to drive with the little one)
Crossroads of Life in Duncanville
Haslet (redesign still under construction as of 1/31)
Wellington of Flower Mound (listed as private, not to far of a drive though)
Sonora in Kennedale
Greenbriar in Fort Worth
Trophy Club Park (listed as private?)
UT Dallas in Richardson (very close to home, might play it on the way home)
Tommy & Sue Brown in N Richland Hills (6 holes? worth the time if you are in the area playing something else?)

another 8 we haven't played are listed, at 2 stars or less I'm not sure I'm interested.

Even if we don't make it out this weekend I'd still be interested to know what courses we should visit first that we can push our baby in his stroller around.

Duncanville is a great course, but I don't think you could navigate very easily with the stroller, especially the first few and last couple of holes.
Don't bother with Trophy Club...it is a mess. The city has been VERY disappointing in getting this course up to par.
Haslet isn't anything special but it would be easy for the baby stroller. Same with Tommy and Sue Brown. Tommy is 6 short holes. Haslet is 18 longer holes, but wide open. Greenbriar is about the same. Wide open except for a couple of holes, but better than haslet and tommy.
Haven't played the rest myself. I've been curious about that Flower Mound course though.

So Haleigh and I might try and go play a new course this weekend and I'd like to hear opinions on where we should go. We will have our 1 year old son with us in the jogging stroller so keep that in mind. It also looks like rain tomorrow so mud pit courses are a no go. What we haven't played, starting with the highest rated:

Cherry Creek in Canton (probably farther than we want to drive with the little one)
Crossroads of Life in Duncanville
Haslet (redesign still under construction as of 1/31)
Wellington of Flower Mound (listed as private, not to far of a drive though)
Sonora in Kennedale
Greenbriar in Fort Worth
Trophy Club Park (listed as private?)
UT Dallas in Richardson (very close to home, might play it on the way home)
Tommy & Sue Brown in N Richland Hills (6 holes? worth the time if you are in the area playing something else?)

another 8 we haven't played are listed, at 2 stars or less I'm not sure I'm interested.

Even if we don't make it out this weekend I'd still be interested to know what courses we should visit first that we can push our baby in his stroller around.

I actually recommend Cherry Creek, especially if we get the rain tomorrow like they are forecasting. Cherry Creek drains extremely well with sandy soil they have, is usually very playable after rain, and is a ton of fun. There is a great park and walking loop around the front 9 for the wife and child and if they are playing with you it's very easy for the stroller. The back 9 might be a little rougher for a stroller though.

The back 9 is only rough because of some stumps, but should be navigatible by stroller if you keep an eye out where you are going.

UTD takes 15 mins to play, I play at night after my Monday/Tuesday classes with white discs and hit all 9 in around 15-25 mins depending on light.

It is pretty boring in daylight but it's interesting how they made open land have semi obstacles (they look like ball golf type obstacles with man made hills and such).

That said it's not horrible for the land it's on, there just isn't much to work with there.

Can't speak for any other course, UTD is like my 3rd home course though lol

Duncanville is a great course, but I don't think you could navigate very easily with the stroller, especially the first few and last couple of holes.
Don't bother with Trophy Club...it is a mess. The city has been VERY disappointing in getting this course up to par.
Haslet isn't anything special but it would be easy for the baby stroller. Same with Tommy and Sue Brown. Tommy is 6 short holes. Haslet is 18 longer holes, but wide open. Greenbriar is about the same. Wide open except for a couple of holes, but better than haslet and tommy.
Haven't played the rest myself. I've been curious about that Flower Mound course though.

Crossroads in Duncanville does drain well after a rain, so it should do well with that. The creek there flows way down hill fast and most all the water flows into the creek. Only 14 holds any water (on the 1st half of the fairway, and only for a few hours). We've been working on it pretty regularly leading up to the tournament.

I use a jogging style stroller for my cart. At Roads holes 1 & 3 would be hard to use the stroller on, so y'all could play those one at a time. (#2 has bridges -- when I have my stroller I leave it by the parking lot tee sign on 1, take it w/me on 2 and leave it by the brick directing me to 3 for 3's tee off. And after teeing 3 you'd have to walk the stroller around 4s fairway, rather than along the walking paths where the rocks are.

After that, you'd just have to be careful on the elevation changes. (I pull the cart backwards or just leave it out of the way again.). Hole 14's signature tee you can't get the stroller up there. If you guys didn't want to tee separately, then you can just tee off from the DZ. It's still nearly 500 from there.

Good luck.

Aray, where is the drop zone for #14?

Sorry, bro for not getting back sooner. It's down by the light pole on the corner. The rest of the key stuff about the Roads course is at the tournament guidelines on the links page on DGCR.

X-roads is waaaayyyyy out as far as strollers. No way I'd try and take a baby out there, especially the future world champ.

And of course the wife's gonna play, and score under par too. This is the H-bomb we're talking about, right? Highest rated am woman in TX? #11 am woman in the world? Occasionally bags men's int? That Haleigh?

Giles, Cherry Creek in Canton is worth the drive. The front nine would be great. The sand would just pack down in the rain. Perfect.

Back nine would be tricky on 12 (up a pretty steep hill). Lots of little stumps too, but (of course) the best holes.

When the baby becomes a toddler, the playground at the park is awesome. Nice bathrooms too.

I'm going to try out the new course in Denison tomorrow. I hope the hill drain well and there's plenty of grass.

Good call on cheery cheek. Worth the hour drive. Standing water from the rain but no mud. +6 from the blues, even on the whites with Haleigh two back.
I want to try and get in four more new courses soon to get up to 100 played. The frisco course when it opens, utd because it is close to home. Need to figure out the other two. Maybe a drive to Arkansas for #100 to have played in 10 states. Haleigh is already at 10 states.

I've got a buddy who is trying to get me to play Greenbelt tomorrow. Does anyone have the lowdown on whether all 18 pins are back in the ground? Also, for the natural tees, what condition they are in. He's tired of playing technical courses and wants to work on his "form" (it's bull ****, he just doesn't want to be punished for his poor form and then think he is getting better) To me, it seems like a waste of a nice day especially with how windy it will be.

Basically, give me some ammo I can use to persuade him to change his mind.

last time i was there, they were still out (probably a month back)

Oh hey. If anyone lost a Skeeter at North Park recently, I have it. Describe it and it's back to you. It's not inked. :thmbup:

Maybe one of you Garland folks could enlighten me as to a "Bonus" feature I discovered on Audubon Park yesterday. Behind the tee for #18 and across the street there is a house with a rather large yard. While I was about to tee off on it yesterday I hear this loud howl.

Behind me staring at us play disc golf is the Largest "dog" I've ever seen. I got a bit closer and as it turns out it was a a large Grey Wolf. I thought I might get closer and take a picture from the median, however it turns out the someone had just left the gate open, you know just in case the wolf wanted to get out and make new friends or whatever.

It appears to be someones pet as there was a large doghouse for it in the yard etc. Is that place a rescue shelter or is it legal in Garland to own wolves?