• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open

Don't ask me... I just posted the link.
My guess would be some sort of glich/typo?

One thing I realized as I watched the Jomez coverage was that McBeth was carrying his own bag up and down those hills and still crushed it like no other. I am not saying Paul was ever out of shape, but it appears he may be (back) in the best physical condition he has been in in years, having worked on more than just his DG game. It sure paid off this past weekend.

Finally caught up on the coverage last night...
> -18: WOW
> Nikko keeping his cool on lead card & hitting massive/beautiful shots: AWESOME
> (Relative) newcomer Kevin Jones: Will be fun to watch
> The course: Beautiful - I love to watch these guys make it look sooo easy
> Big Waffle Commentary: Stupid name, Jerm is much better when he has to be the one to 'reel in the buffoon'. Kind of annoying when the golf is so good that the commentators start talking about other ridiculous stuff... AJ is annoying on commentary. He drone antics were mildly amusing before it became 'a thing' to do all the time... Now, he's just turned into a court jester

I forget the exact line, but Big Waffle commentary had a true gem near the start of the Rd2 coverage. Something like:

"What do you call a Turkey with an Eagle in it? We're approaching Turducken levels of golf here."

Overall I enjoyed the Rd2 coverage a lot. The commentary was a little goofy at times, but mostly kept on track. I think Risley did a great job, is that his first time commentating? If so, dude's a natural.

Also, yeah, a lot of great throws. But not too many throws for McBeth, am I right? ;)

When was the current Toboggan layout designed/redesigned? And have pars/lengths changed much throughout the years? I know they mentioned that one of the big uphill holes was lengthened at some point.

Overall I enjoyed the Rd2 coverage a lot. The commentary was a little goofy at times, but mostly kept on track. I think Risley did a great job, is that his first time commentating? If so, dude's a natural.

Just because you have a healthy sense of humor and aren't afraid to speak in public, does not necessarily mean you are a good commentator. Go watch the Jomez vs CCDG vid... It was rather hard to watch at times with his commentating. Now, to be fair, that was live on the course commentary, not post round edited in, and I imagine its not easy coming up with things to say for that length of time.

I believe he has also done some post-pro vid commentary with Ian on CCDG that was much better than this one was. But that's because Ian has at least some skill in being a true broadcaster and knows how to use his "color guy." The Jomez vids lack a little of that at times since its usually two "color guys".

I guess I'm not as fixated on the division of labor as some folks. "Play-by-play" vs. "Color commentary" isn't something I worry about at great length. If they have good flow and good insights and occasionally say something funny, that's perfect in my book.

It might help that I'm really bad at identifying people's voices. I have to stop and actively think, 'Was that Jerm, or the other dude?' It's actually distracting for me to try to focus on who's saying what, so most of the time I just let the commentary wash over me and not worry about it. There could be 3 or 4 people in the commentary booth and I honestly wouldn't notice.

But, obviously this is all just my opinion.

Just because you have a healthy sense of humor and aren't afraid to speak in public, does not necessarily mean you are a good commentator. Go watch the Jomez vs CCDG vid... It was rather hard to watch at times with his commentating. Now, to be fair, that was live on the course commentary, not post round edited in, and I imagine its not easy coming up with things to say for that length of time.

I believe he has also done some post-pro vid commentary with Ian on CCDG that was much better than this one was. But that's because Ian has at least some skill in being a true broadcaster and knows how to use his "color guy." The Jomez vids lack a little of that at times since its usually two "color guys".

I still think that Ian is the best partner in any two-person commentary. He has a vision and knows how to bring it out in his partner.