• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT- 2018 Discraft Great Lakes Open

The biggest difference in the course was in 2013 when the Metropark's removed the invasive Russian Olives. Before RO removal if you got off the fairway on many holes you were trying a pitch back to the fairway. Now, you might have a bush/tree to deal with, but most of the time its just tall grass or a slope.

The RO really changed the look and how a lot of the course played especially holes 4, 6 through 12, 15 and 16. If you look at hole 15 today and got off the cut grass imagine 5-6 ft tall bushes everywhere and that is what that hole use to look like.
Mostly true. Prior to the removal of RO just before 2013 USADGC, the rough wasn't just thick and brutal, it was pretty tall along some holes, effectively eliminating some lines, #'s 4, 6, 7 and 15 being prime examples.

Things opened up a ton in 2013. Since then, native plants have grown back... with a vengeance. While the rough along the holes I listed isn't quite as tall as it used to be pre 2013, it's still stupidly gnarly. You may not be forced to pitch out quite as often as before, but it forces you to stand in place much of the time, and leaving the fairway still means still usually means you lose at least a stroke to the field.

That said, you're correct in that today, missing the fairway is much more likely to still yield some sort of reasonable golf shot as opposed to simply pitching out.

Mostly what it does now is make the spotter's jobs tough, rather than knock shots down. But in some cases, wayward shots can co even further off fairway, into even crazier brush.

The thing about Paul's round yesterday is it honestly didn't matter. He pured every freakin' tee shot. The rough doesn't matter if you're never in it, and yesterday's round wasn't touching any year's rough. I can't imagine ever witnessing a more impressive round in my life. That kind of accuracy off the tee, over that kind of distance and terrain, for 18 holes, without a single mistake, setting up so many much easier 2nd shots?

Psick!

Last edited:
How close is the tee on #3 to where the basket is on 2?

It seems that the basket could be moved quite a bit to either the right or left to make it a tougher approach shot. If they just want to turn it into a par4, I could live with just that, but if they want to keep it a par5, they need to lengthen it somehow.

Also on no3, I think there should be an OB divider with no13's(I think?) fairway. Letting the players bail out there on purpose like paul did round 2, shouldn't be rewarded.
Totally agree with all of this. 2 is pretty far from 3... All sorts of room to move 2's basket left or right, but not really much further back because of asphalt. Chances are a 5 loses you a stroke to the field.

Can't blame Paul for playing to the field on 3 if it's not OB, but yeah, it doesn't really force the intended level of player to really hold the fairway.

Can't blame Paul for playing to the field on 3 if it's not OB, but yeah, it doesn't really force the intended level of player to really hold the fairway.

Yea no blame for paul. He was just taking advantage of a slight design "flaw". It happens in ball golf sometimes where they just didn't consider guys going up the wrong fairway on purpose. So they make a tee specific OB rule that makes landing in that fairway or over it OB, but the rough in between is still in play. I think that kind of thing could work well for the area. That would give you some room for an unintentional bail out from the elevated tee but would keep players from doing what Paul did. You could still bail out on purpose but would have to contend with the high grass.

Last edited:
That drew some laughs! :thmbup:

All those guys are great, but Conrad can really crush. There were a few holes he just took a route over trees that I wouldn't say the others couldn't...

but at least one they didn't feel comfortable with.

WAY too verbose and he tried way to hard to be funny.

90% too much blabber from Mr. Risley. Reaching for catchphrases, self referential inanity, re-capping his round and constantly reacting to what he and Jerm are saying instead of calling the action and maybe offering some insight. Cringingly bad at times. He sounds like he's got a good personality for commenting - quick, confident - but it's so over-cooked. Just close the hole beneath the nose about 50% and focus the rest of the verbal stream at analyzing what we are watching instead of concocting "combo words" and little playlets.

How close is the tee on #3 to where the basket is on 2? It seems that the basket could be moved quite a bit to either the right or left to make it a tougher approach shot. If they just want to turn it into a par4, I could live with just that, but if they want to keep it a par5, they need to lengthen it somehow. Also on no3, I think there should be an OB divider with no13's(I think?) fairway. Letting the players bail out there on purpose like paul did round 2, shouldn't be rewarded. There are a couple holes like that at Smugs that use that type of OB very well.

I fully expected to see hole 3 & 13 have ob dividing them when I went out to play the DGPT layout. It definitely would have made 3's teeshot require more accuracy. I also wouldn't have been surprised to see 15's tee moved back a little, considering there's definitely room for it. The idea to move 2's basket to the left or right is a good one, as that hole is extremely easy to 4 - hyzer, hyzer, putter, putter. I think the rest of the course is challenging enough, but fair.

I would think they'd try to get the report submitted by the deadline tomorrow to make it in the July 31st ratings update.

I fully expected to see hole 3 & 13 have ob dividing them when I went out to play the DGPT layout. It definitely would have made 3's teeshot require more accuracy. I also wouldn't have been surprised to see 15's tee moved back a little, considering there's definitely room for it. The idea to move 2's basket to the left or right is a good one, as that hole is extremely easy to 4 - hyzer, hyzer, putter, putter. I think the rest of the course is challenging enough, but fair.

I don't think it would even need to be OB to throw from 13 into 3's fairway because you would be so far out of position, right? All you would need is one rope down the inside edge of 13s fairway and anything that crosses it from 3 is OB.

I don't think it would even need to be OB to throw from 13 into 3's fairway because you would be so far out of position, right? All you would need is one rope down the inside edge of 13s fairway and anything that crosses it from 3 is OB.

I'd agree. For the level of player this course is intened for, a tee shot from 13 that lands in 3's fairway (something I can't recall ever even witnessing) would likely go so far forward that it would result in a 2nd shot with a tough angle to get around the cabbage and make any real progress up 13's fairway. At the very least, you'd almost surely lose a stroke to the field, even if your angle wasn't God awful.

But lots of people play #3 for the RHBH fade into the tall grass left of the fairway. Plus, if you fade left (rather than making near the bottom of the hill, like Nikko did on day 3), you are closer to eye level with the basket. Even though you're further away, the additional elevation affords you a much better line of sight. I think many of these players can place their 2nd shots to get up and down from there, easier than the blind, uphill approach from the bottom of the hill... especially if the wind is doing something, because at that low point in the fairway you're kind of sheltered from the wind, so you may not have a clue what the wind's actually doing on the green, from a lie near the trough.

The only real downside to playing the RHBH fade into the tall grass is the possibility of a lie where one of those berms screws up your footwork.

Last edited:

Agreed, but it might as well be a 2-way OB line.

Maybe if there was also OB on the right side of 13 too?

This pic is old, but still pretty accurate. The rope for the OB rope for the right side of 13 is already in place... even though it's incidental to the course. TD would just need to incorporate it. :|
38e433f0.jpg

As for Left side OB on 13, I say it's unnecessary, and using the left rope as OB could actually help a player. If the shule on the left were OB, a player would take their penalty stroke, but get to throw from the rope.

Without OB, who knows what the lie might be? Might be lucky if you can pitch out.

Last edited:
I lived for awhile in this little town in the Cascades. In the winter, local guys would tie a ladder to the back of their 4X4s and cruize town. Kids would run out and hop on for a ride. Today, that would get you tossed in jail. Sigh.