• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27

I really enjoyed the live coverage last night. They want people watching, always make the last round on a weekday evening.

Did anyone see Eagle's backwards somersault into into a double elbow to the ground after his missed putt?!? Best angry reaction ever!

I really enjoyed the live coverage last night. They want people watching, always make the last round on a weekday evening.

The timing was perfect. Came in off our Monday night league round just in time to tune in for the final hole and the playoff. Had a dozen people watching in the shop. Sat-Mon is a perfect schedule for a holiday weekend event.

Deleted due to one of the complainers about spoilers showing up to complain about the people complaining about people complaining about spoilers.

***Spoiler alert*** none of the DD touring men's team members won, lol. On a serious note, does anyone think any of the current DD touring men will ever have a solid chance to win a DGPT event or anything bigger than an A-tier? I guess the team has guys that consistently finish top 10 at big events but I never hear much about them during the final rounds unless they are caddying for the Paige's.

***Spoiler alert*** none of the DD touring men's team members won, lol. On a serious note, does anyone think any of the current DD touring men will ever have a solid chance to win a DGPT event or anything bigger than an A-tier? I guess the team has guys that consistently finish top 10 at big events but I never hear much about them during the final rounds unless they are caddying for the Paige's.

Well it has been a quite wide range of winners in MPO this year, but Innova and Discraft have almost all the wins. . and unexpectedly many "Non Ricky" wins for Innova

But On the FPO side Innova and Discraft are very small. . and DD/Trilogy and Prodigy have all the wins

MPO DD players have been close. AJ at Ledgestone comes to mind. . but no they don´t have any top 10 players at the moment.

But we do have many BIG stars in our sport that really don´t win that often. . i mean i took GG 16y before a big win

I didn't see anyone complained about spoilers in the tournament thread, I come to this forum even when there isn't live coverage and I just don't check the tournament thread if I don't want to be spoiled. Same with the sticky tournament thread on reddit, no one in their right mind would expect it to be spoilers free.

Like brutalbrutus said, the ones bitching about the people who complained about spoilers seems to have very thin skin and also difficulties to understand nuances.

i do have to say Nate was more forgiving than previous events. all in all a pretty good experience for everyone sitting at home watching this for free.

And I will admit Nate did dial in the googly eyes and excessive banter as the coverage went on. He is improving... no doubt. I think Terry as the main commentator and Nate as color works well, as long as Nate respects his role more and lets Terry handle the majority of the talking.

...or you just take it like a man that you threw a horrible shot and the camera is likely to want to get a reaction shot...

From a distance sure..cameras do have a zoom I believe... but don't get so close the player can't even stretch his arms out without touching the camera. Lame move on the novice cameraman imop.

So just now on hole 18, one of the camera persons held the shot on Catrina after she threw her second shot, went to her caddy to retrieve her putters, and then stood waiting for Rebecca to throw (they skipped showing Rebecca's second shot entirely). Then after Paige threw her upshot, one of the cameras remained pointed at her while Cat set up for her birdie attempt. Clearly what they wanted was reaction shots as these two played the final hole of a tight battle. Neither camera was "in their face" but it was obvious that they were the focus even when they weren't throwing.

At one point, Cat realized the camera was on her and, clearly not wanting to be on camera in that moment, chose to walk away behind the gallery and out of view. A perfect example of how to handle the situation in a mature manner. Granted, it wasn't the close quarters of the tee box area but still, Cat didn't see the need to take anything out on the camera man for doing his job. She wanted a moment to herself and made it happen. Thought it worth pointing out in contrast to the big topic of the weekend.

I think this whole "reaction cam kick" the producer is on, needs to be dialed in some. There's a time and place for everything. As a viewer I want to see immediate reactions to a bad or good shot, but there is frickin no need to follow or keep on following a player after a shot, waiting...hoping...etc, to see a reaction when they think they might finally be off camera and they can privately vent. That's BS for the producer wanting to stick with the player hoping to catch something. That's very...very paparazzi like and just bs imop.

Eric Oakley is a mediocre disc golfer...

IMO he is a very good player that has mastered social media branding. Several other touring players that document touring life on social media do not appear to have much balance in life either outside of dg which may be hurting results. McBeth for example documents going to sports events, social events, etc. that are outside of dg which possibly keeps him centered instead of having his entire life revolve around dg. Superstar athletes like Kelly Slater, Phil Mickelson, Steph Curry, Tom Brady and others appear to enjoy activities outside of their professions which seems to be polar opposite of many touring dg pros.

I think this whole "reaction cam kick" the producer is on, needs to be dialed in some. There's a time and place for everything. As a viewer I want to see immediate reactions to a bad or good shot, but there is frickin no need to follow or keep on following a player after a shot, waiting...hoping...etc, to see a reaction when they think they might finally be off camera and they can privately vent. That's BS for the producer wanting to stick with the player hoping to catch something. That's very...very paparazzi like and just bs imop.

It's standard operating procedure for any professional live production (baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, take your pick). No one is following around players and putting cameras in their face paparazzi-style (talk about gross exaggeration) but the cameras have to be looking at something between throws. What else but the players? And as Cat demonstrated on the final hole, if a player would prefer to have a more private moment out of camera view, walking away is always an option.

But regardless of the appropriateness of cameras *gasp* filming players during a round, there's no justification for putting hands on the camera or the camera operator in response to something they're doing as part of their job. Say something or walk away...there is no other reasonable option.

It's standard operating procedure for any professional live production (baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, take your pick). No one is following around players and putting cameras in their face paparazzi-style (talk about gross exaggeration) but the cameras have to be looking at something between throws. What else but the players? And as Cat demonstrated on the final hole, if a player would prefer to have a more private moment out of camera view, walking away is always an option.

But regardless of the appropriateness of cameras *gasp* filming players during a round, there's no justification for putting hands on the camera or the camera operator in response to something they're doing as part of their job. Say something or walk away...there is no other reasonable option.

It is not part of their job to stick a camera in someone's face. Any camera within arm reach should be fair game to the players to swat away. The cameraman owes a huge apology.

But regardless of the appropriateness of cameras *gasp* filming players during a round, there's no justification for putting hands on the camera or the camera operator in response to something they're doing as part of their job.

Yep.

Jees, we are still talking about that? Wow. A couple of facts...

1. The cameraman was in his position before the players EVER got to the tee. He was there when they were still putting out on the previous hole. If they wanted him to move, they all know they can ask him. I mean, we have only had live cameras following these players for 8 years or so.

2. Normally we have a separate cameraman for reaction shots. But because of the closeness of that teeing area, we sent him down to cover the green on that par 4. So our throw cam was basically covering double duty on the tee.

3. When I direct the cameraman to "follow the player" I have NO idea where the player will end up. It was unfortunate that in this instance the player stopped right behind where the cameraman was posted. It made for a very close interaction. The cameraman had no knowledge that Adam would stop directly behind him. So when he swiveled, they ended up face to face. About 12-18" away from each other. I fully expected Adam to be walking further away. I know the players very well at this point. I know who will and won't give us good reactions. Adam is from my home state and he is known to be a bit of a hot-head. So I figured we were gonna get some sort of emotional reaction after his bad throw.

4. I direct the show. Period. The cameramen listen to me. I always tell them to follow the players after good and bad shots, tense moments, and exciting finishes. And I will continue to do it. It is why we got Eagle doing the backwards somersault and dropping the atomic elbow on his putter. I won't stop directing the cameras to show the emotion of the sport... good and bad. We won't follow a player that tries to walk away from us or seeks privacy. But if you are in view of a camera, I will show you EVERY TIME. I have seen players yell, cry, pout, throw discs, fold putters, fist pump, punch trees, and hug friends (and that was 1 Nikko round. lol).

Jees, we are still talking about that? Wow. A couple of facts...

1. The cameraman was in his position before the players EVER got to the tee. He was there when they were still putting out on the previous hole. If they wanted him to move, they all know they can ask him. I mean, we have only had live cameras following these players for 8 years or so.

2. Normally we have a separate cameraman for reaction shots. But because of the closeness of that teeing area, we sent him down to cover the green on that par 4. So our throw cam was basically covering double duty on the tee.

3. When I direct the cameraman to "follow the player" I have NO idea where the player will end up. It was unfortunate that in this instance the player stopped right behind where the cameraman was posted. It made for a very close interaction. The cameraman had no knowledge that Adam would stop directly behind him. So when he swiveled, they ended up face to face. About 12-18" away from each other. I fully expected Adam to be walking further away. I know the players very well at this point. I know who will and won't give us good reactions. Adam is from my home state and he is known to be a bit of a hot-head. So I figured we were gonna get some sort of emotional reaction after his bad throw.

4. I direct the show. Period. The cameramen listen to me. I always tell them to follow the players after good and bad shots, tense moments, and exciting finishes. And I will continue to do it. It is why we got Eagle doing the backwards somersault and dropping the atomic elbow on his putter. I won't stop directing the cameras to show the emotion of the sport... good and bad. We won't follow a player that tries to walk away from us or seeks privacy. But if you are in view of a camera, I will show you EVERY TIME. I have seen players yell, cry, pout, throw discs, fold putters, fist pump, punch trees, and hug friends (and that was 1 Nikko round. lol).

I'm glad you posted this, that's one thing that hasn't been mentioned here is the fact that the cameraman never moved. If he was going to film at that angle there's nowhere he could have moved as both he and the players were all backed up to the edge of the woods as far as they could go.

Completely disagree. If a cameraman/woman sticks his/her camera in a player's face, he/she should expect to have that camera shoved back into his/her own face. The Media can't just do whatever they want, they do not have the right to invade people's spaces that close, and if it takes shoving their cameras back to make that point, then that is what should happen.

Completely disagree. If a cameraman/woman sticks his/her camera in a player's face, he/she should expect to have that camera shoved back into his/her own face. The Media can't just do whatever they want, they do not have the right to invade people's spaces that close, and if it takes shoving their cameras back to make that point, then that is what should happen.

Tough guy here. No, if our cameramen do something that is deemed inappropriate, you take it up with the TD. Simple. Don't lay your hands on people ever.

Yeah that cameraman sure invaded Adams Space by standing there in allowing Adam to walk up to him

Some perspective as to how close the woods were to the tee pad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-27-16-28-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-05-27-16-28-51.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 112
Some perspective as to how close the woods were to the tee pad.

Also a good example of how far away the camera actually was. Adam's arm was almost fully extended. Unless Adam is a raptor (not T-Rex, wrong company), then that camera had to be at least 18-24" away. I am not saying that we want to be that close to players, I already explained that part, but it is not the 6" that was originally claimed.

Latest posts