• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27

Can you imagine 15 years ago someone saying this:

"Disc golf will be so popular in 15 years that an A tier - not even an NT or major - but an A tier will have a camera guy from the live coverage and a player get into an altercation."

You would likely be institutionalized.

Completely disagree. If a cameraman/woman sticks his/her camera in a player's face, he/she should expect to have that camera shoved back into his/her own face. The Media can't just do whatever they want, they do not have the right to invade people's spaces that close, and if it takes shoving their cameras back to make that point, then that is what should happen.

You are wrong. Pure and simple.

So unrelated to the camera thing, HOLY COW what an intense final day of action. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't watched the footage yet, but the drama at the end of the event was among the best I've seen, and an awesome case for live coverage!

I'm interested to see how well the post-production crews handle the last few holes, it was intense!

Jees, we are still talking about that? Wow. A couple of facts...

1. The cameraman was in his position before the players EVER got to the tee. He was there when they were still putting out on the previous hole. If they wanted him to move, they all know they can ask him. I mean, we have only had live cameras following these players for 8 years or so.

2. Normally we have a separate cameraman for reaction shots. But because of the closeness of that teeing area, we sent him down to cover the green on that par 4. So our throw cam was basically covering double duty on the tee.

3. When I direct the cameraman to "follow the player" I have NO idea where the player will end up. It was unfortunate that in this instance the player stopped right behind where the cameraman was posted. It made for a very close interaction. The cameraman had no knowledge that Adam would stop directly behind him. So when he swiveled, they ended up face to face. About 12-18" away from each other. I fully expected Adam to be walking further away. I know the players very well at this point. I know who will and won't give us good reactions. Adam is from my home state and he is known to be a bit of a hot-head. So I figured we were gonna get some sort of emotional reaction after his bad throw.

4. I direct the show. Period. The cameramen listen to me. I always tell them to follow the players after good and bad shots, tense moments, and exciting finishes. And I will continue to do it. It is why we got Eagle doing the backwards somersault and dropping the atomic elbow on his putter. I won't stop directing the cameras to show the emotion of the sport... good and bad. We won't follow a player that tries to walk away from us or seeks privacy. But if you are in view of a camera, I will show you EVERY TIME. I have seen players yell, cry, pout, throw discs, fold putters, fist pump, punch trees, and hug friends (and that was 1 Nikko round. lol).

Just like everything else in this world, everything that happens is always the other parties fault. There really needs to be sorry's from both sides of this occurrence. Not a good reflection on you for continuing to place all blame on the player.

Since you fail to address the real issue here, the camera being too close to a player, expect this to happen again soon. Personal space is personal space. You should respect it instead of sloughing off your failure to do so. if this player faces discipline for this, I will not watch another PDGA production going forward.

No, the camera person was wrong. Pure and simple.

Try this on, both were wrong.

I don't know what has happened to us as a culture, but we used to understand something called, "turn the other cheek." The notion that every time someone did something we didn't like, that it gave us permission to cuss them out, beat them up, or even worse, shoot them, was anathema.

The cameraman may have been rude, and I've not even looked and don't really care, but the appropriate action isn't to shove the camera in his face, it is to act like an adult.

If there is one thing I will attribute to the internet, and possibly our President, they've allowed us to be impatient, obnoxious children.

As an aside, I once flipped someone off who said something rude to me. My father beat the tar out of my backside. "He started it!" I cried. "And I finished it," my father started. "While I have no expectations from that guy, I have huge expectations of you. To start with that you'll have enough self confidence that you don't need to flip off some guy who called you a name."

On behalf of Streets. The gentleman in question represents disc golf. When you play in a Pro event you should understand that and that you are required to act a certain way, even under stress. That's why you are called a "professional." While I understand that many professionals act like children, it has always been the expectation that they would act... professional.

I have heard no rumblings of any sort of punishment, nor do I think there should be. And AGAIN, I stand by the cameraman in this instance that he had his position before anyone else. The players chose to stand directly behind him and never asked him to move.

There are other issues that ensued that were of far greater issue after what went down on the teepad. And those (and this instance) have already been taken care of. All parties have spoken and are fine.

It is not part of their job to stick a camera in someone's face. Any camera within arm reach should be fair game to the players to swat away. The cameraman owes a huge apology.

Completely disagree. If a cameraman/woman sticks his/her camera in a player's face, he/she should expect to have that camera shoved back into his/her own face. The Media can't just do whatever they want, they do not have the right to invade people's spaces that close, and if it takes shoving their cameras back to make that point, then that is what should happen.

It's like you guys purposely misread JV's explanation so you can act outraged.

So unrelated to the camera thing, HOLY COW what an intense final day of action. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't watched the footage yet, but the drama at the end of the event was among the best I've seen, and an awesome case for live coverage!

I'm interested to see how well the post-production crews handle the last few holes, it was intense!

I am interested in how this is handled as well. Will the lead card guys talk about the drama of Eagle & Drew waiting to see what happens with the finish of MPO lead? Because that was a big part of the drama of Simon chasing down these guys. Or does that fall into "spoiler" territory of the 2nd card where the eventual winner came from.

If you had the choice, which card do you watch first? If you watch the chase card, you take out all the drama of lead card and Simon chasing because you know he doesn't make the playoff. If you watch the lead card first you run the risk of ruining the drama of the chase card and how it finishes.

I have heard no rumblings of any sort of punishment, nor do I think there should be. And AGAIN, I stand by the cameraman in this instance that he had his position before anyone else. The players chose to stand directly behind him and never asked him to move.

I applaud you having your cameraman's back. You are a good producer.

As long as the "reaction" shot doesn't take away from the "action" shot then all should be good.
Please don't miss a tee off or putt trying to film a reaction.

The only time we do that is usually at the VERY end of an event when it comes down to people who are still in contention and we don't really care about some of the players tapping out or pitching up. We will focus on whoever is in contention on the final hole usually.

There are other issues that ensued that were of far greater issue after what went down on the teepad. And those (and this instance) have already been taken care of. All parties have spoken and are fine.

I'm gonna disagree, please don't be mad at me. The player should be warned. If I were playing in the tournament, or the TD, I'd write it up and send it to MTL.

As you've pointed out, every player has the right to ask anyone to move, period. An example, I shot pics at Texas States. I was 100 feet up the fairway behind a shrub, Ricky W. didn't like where I was sitting, doesn't matter why, he asked me to move. I didn't hear him. He didn't get mad, he didn't jump up and down, he didn't yell at me, he waited till I looked up and motioned me to the side in a way that made sure I got the message. Cripes, I was embarrassed and moved darned quick.

These guys take a test that explains decorum and proper behavior. I don't even remember what is written, took it years ago, but it includes a number of things about not throwing, kicking or hitting things. That should include a cameraman.

SD86 as an example. SD is supporting the player here, yet I've interacted with SD86 here many times, often disagreeing. He might even stick firmly to his point, but I've never had him take a verbal swipe at me or treat me with any disrespect. He conducts himself like an adult, something I admire (I'm not assessing every SD86 interaction, just mine). We need to hold ourselves and the players we support to the same kinds of standards, IMO. That doesn't mean badmouthing them or calling them names here, it simply means supporting better more professional behavior at all times.

Okay, I'm putting away my soapbox, sorry.

You are wrong. Pure and simple.

No, the camera person was wrong. Pure and simple.

You two just need to get a room already.

A punishment from the DGPT or the PDGA would be colossally stupid.

Get some perspective here people. Hammes TOUCHED a camera that wasn't his which may or may not be within the ambiguous thing referred to as "personal space" whatever distance that might be defined as. Nothing more to see here...move on.

lyleoross, We are good to disagree. :) I think that in this instance everyone has learned a lesson and will grow from it. I don't think that anything formal has to be addressed at this point. For all I know Adam has been spoken to, but I honestly don't know.

I direct the show. Period. The cameramen listen to me. I always tell them to follow the players after good and bad shots, tense moments, and exciting finishes. And I will continue to do it. It is why we got Eagle doing the backwards somersault and dropping the atomic elbow on his putter. I won't stop directing the cameras to show the emotion of the sport... good and bad. We won't follow a player that tries to walk away from us or seeks privacy. But if you are in view of a camera, I will show you EVERY TIME. I have seen players yell, cry, pout, throw discs, fold putters, fist pump, punch trees, and hug friends (and that was 1 Nikko round. lol).

Eagle was on the green still during his reaction. That's not what I'm talking about. "But if you are in view of a camera, I will show you EVERY TIME." This is the concern as anyone walking on the course is in view. Don't get me wrong...we need to see Eagle's reaction. I just hope you would give players a chance for some privacy once they get a respectable distance off the tee, or away from the green, etc.

Just like everything else in this world, everything that happens is always the other parties fault. There really needs to be sorry's from both sides of this occurrence. Not a good reflection on you for continuing to place all blame on the player.

Since you fail to address the real issue here, the camera being too close to a player, expect this to happen again soon. Personal space is personal space. You should respect it instead of sloughing off your failure to do so. if this player faces discipline for this, I will not watch another PDGA production going forward.

How many times do people need to say/show the camera was in the same place the entire time for you guys to actually comprehend that? (and most definitely not a PDGA production)

The camera was there for a reaction. It got one. Don't know why anyone is whining. Player got the camera out of his face and the production company got a bunch of free marketing for it. Move along, nothing to see here.

Eagle was on the green still during his reaction. That's not what I'm talking about. "But if you are in view of a camera, I will show you EVERY TIME." This is the concern as anyone walking on the course is in view. Don't get me wrong...we need to see Eagle's reaction. I just hope you would give players a chance for some privacy once they get a respectable distance off the tee, or away from the green, etc.

There's a gallery following the players, the film crew is trying to create the illusion that the viewer is in the gallery.

Latest posts