• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27

This is one of those rounds that I would HIGHLY recommend people watching the live version after the fact. But there isn't a way to tell people without them thinking it is self-serving or spoiling them before watching. Oh well.

Eagle was on the green still during his reaction. That's not what I'm talking about. "But if you are in view of a camera, I will show you EVERY TIME." This is the concern as anyone walking on the course is in view. Don't get me wrong...we need to see Eagle's reaction. I just hope you would give players a chance for some privacy once they get a respectable distance off the tee, or away from the green, etc.

Of course anyone on the course is in view of the camera. Do we want live coverage or not? If we do, then the consequence of that is that if you're on the course, particularly as one of the featured players, you will be filmed. It's not a difficult concept to comprehend.

No one is advocating for invading one's personal space intentionally to get shots of something the player would rather not have filmed, but to me, if it's something any person in the gallery can see, it's something that's fair game for the camera to film.

JVD has repeatedly said he's not going to direct a camera operator to pursue a player to get a "reaction" shot. We have clear evidence of that with the situation I pointed out with Cat on the final hole. The camera was not in her face, it was at a distance and pointed at her. The moment she realized it, she walked away behind the gallery and that was the end of it. No one chased after her or forced her to stay on camera against her will. She wanted privacy, she got it. No need to push anyone or yell at anyone or really say anything at all.

The Hammes thing was an unfortunately confluence of events, but again it wasn't as if the camera man pursued Adam in an effort to harass him. He was set up in a space that Adam chose to get close to, not the other way around. And I have to think that if Adam had thrown a bomb of a shot that he was happy with, he probably has a different reaction with the camera person if all else is the same. He was frustrated with his throw and unfortunately took it out on the camera. The good thing is that no damage was done, everyone is cool now, and it can be chalked up as a learning experience for all involved. There are no villains here.

We actually had a discussion after Eagle/Drew finished if we wanted to find them and get his reactions as Simon was coming in. The decision was that if they were standing by Tournament Central then we would throw a camera on them, but we didn't feel comfortable trying to chase them down (especially Eagle) after the finish.

We actually had a discussion after Eagle/Drew finished if we wanted to find them and get his reactions as Simon was coming in. The decision was that if they were standing by Tournament Central then we would throw a camera on them, but we didn't feel comfortable trying to chase them down (especially Eagle) after the finish.

Apologies to keep rehashing, but I don't believe I saw you address the whole camera operator telling Hammes he was going to get in his head somehow. Is there any truth to that?

One thing I would like to comment on. I saw this at Texas States when I was shooting. There are more and more cameras, of all kinds, shooting these rounds. At one point there were two video cameras, and three still cameras going on the lead women's card. It was too much. One still shooter was working putting to the point of setting up, well within circle 1, in line with the basket and the putter. I'd have told him to move. I don't know if this is common, and in part it is due to the lenses being used, but it seems too much. It might be time for the PDGA to define some rules about number of cameras. I would also argue that part of the TD announcement at the start of round should be, "if you don't like the postioning of a fan, or a camera person, stop, ask them to relocate, and then reset."

One thing I would like to comment on. I saw this at Texas States when I was shooting. There are more and more cameras, of all kinds, shooting these rounds. At one point there were two video cameras, and three still cameras going on the lead women's card. It was too much. One still shooter was working putting to the point of setting up, well within circle 1, in line with the basket and the putter. I'd have told him to move. I don't know if this is common, and in part it is due to the lenses being used, but it seems too much. It might be time for the PDGA to define some rules about number of cameras. I would also argue that part of the TD announcement at the start of round should be, "if you don't like the postioning of a fan, or a camera person, stop, ask them to relocate, and then reset."

I don't know that the PDGA has the power to limit the behavior of non-players in that fashion (although it is a good idea). That is going to fall upon the TD's/venues. I think Las Vegas made a move in that direction this year.

They already have media policies for NTs and Majors. DGPT does for their events as well. There's also something in the Competition Manual about media.

Ultimately, anything outside of those events is up to the TD to determine who gets media access and how much and where. And players are always empowered to ask a camera person to move if they feel the need to do so.

Yes, the PDGA could implement more media policies at the larger NT & Major events. And have a general guideline for other events. Our cameramen don't usually get inside the circle (sometimes depending on the green, but we try not to).

As to the reports of the cameraman trying to get in his head before the round? I find that highly suspicious. I haven't actually seen Adam say that (nor will he at this point, as this is settled with everyone), I saw a random report on Reddit about that. IF that were the case, it would be completely unprofessional and that person would likely not be a cameraman again.

Congrats Drew Gibson, I knew you could do it. :clap:

Everybody do the Drew !

Shout out to Corvallis, way to represent. :hfive:

SD86...perpetually primed for outrage.

Completely disagree. If a cameraman/woman sticks his/her camera in a player's face, he/she should expect to have that camera shoved back into his/her own face. The Media can't just do whatever they want, they do not have the right to invade people's spaces that close, and if it takes shoving their cameras back to make that point, then that is what should happen.

Well, I stayed spoiler free and watched the post and I'm a happy guy!

And catching up in this thread, I see we've finally moved away from Monday morning foot fault reffing and moved on to camera-gate instead! Nice to see a change of pace:wall:

And catching up in this thread, I see we've finally moved away from Monday morning foot fault reffing and moved on to camera-gate instead! Nice to see a change of pace:wall:
I mean this is what is going to happen. It happened before video; there was a significant amount of the interwebz dedicated to what Brad Hammock, Cam Todd, Nikko Locastro, Bradley Williams, (add name of your favorite hot-headed disc golfer here), etc., did or didn't do on lead and chase cards before there was video. Now there is video. It's just going to fuel more talk.

In this case, Terry Miller kinda fueled the debate by getting a little upset on the broadcast. If he goes "A little frustration there from Hammes" and drops it, it probably doesn't get as much play as it did when he started wondering on air if it's an offense worthy of a fine. That got viewers debating if he should be fined or not.

In the end it becomes a distracting storyline from an event that was bunched up at the top and had seven guys with a very realistic chance to win with only a handful of holes left, an event where a top player grabbed a lead late and let it slip away, an event where another top player didn't execute a simple hyzer shot on the last hole and missed a chance to tie for the lead, an event that ended up in a playoff between two players from the chase card and an event that ended up being the first big win for a sponsored pro. There is a lot about that event that COULD be talked about other than a dude who tapped a camera, but once you make a big deal over the guy tapping the camera it is what people will talk about.

I'd be curious to know how close to the back of the tee the producer feels is acceptable for a camera to be at. Or is there a guideline put in place for media in this respect?

Latest posts