• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Portland Open June 4-6

Are those good things or bad things?

The 1050 guys possess a skill no one else has- consistent accuracy at huge distance. This is certainly a valid skill and should be rewarded. These layouts tend to overvalue that skill however. When guys like Koling (who has big distance himself) are viewing things as something of a done deal beforehand the entertainment value (which is what DGPT is really selling) shrivels.

Good. Bad. Usually just a matter of perspective.

But what Biscoe said is true. When most of the top challengers in field think the outcome is a foregone conclusion, entertainment value is lost. And there can be no denying that's what DGN and DGPT are selling.

It's one thing to have a few holes where extreme distance with accuracy is rewarded, and another where the whole course plays that way.

Good on Paul for using his status as the biggest name in the sport to shine the spotlight on it.

This course is about to get dunked on if that wind udisc is showing is real and stays like that...:eek:

Lots of birdies already early in the round and nearly every bogey from anyone in the top30 was because of an OB... This course is about to get rawdogged...

The 1050 guys are going to shred this course. ...

If you are saying this course will give the 1050 guys a bigger advantage over the other players than other courses do, that's somewhat testable.

There is a 50% chance the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by more than 24 points.

So, if the difference is only 24 points, there is no evidence the course hurt or helped the 1050 guys.

There is only a 5% chance that the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by more than 38 points.

So, if the difference is more than 38 points, that would be evidence the course gave the 1050 guys a boost.

On the other hand, there is only a 5% chance that the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by only 11 points or less. So, if we see that, it would indicate the course was kryptonite for the 1050 guys.

If you are saying this course will give the 1050 guys a bigger advantage over the other players than other courses do, that's somewhat testable.

There is a 50% chance the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by more than 24 points.

So, if the difference is only 24 points, there is no evidence the course hurt or helped the 1050 guys.

There is only a 5% chance that the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by more than 38 points.

So, if the difference is more than 38 points, that would be evidence the course gave the 1050 guys a boost.

On the other hand, there is only a 5% chance that the average round rating of all four 1050 guys will exceed the average round rating of the players rated 1020-1040 by only 11 points or less. So, if we see that, it would indicate the course was kryptonite for the 1050 guys.

That'd be great to have Steve. I think this is such a small sample size that it might not prove helpful, but I'm definitely interested in the results.

1050 power is rewarded on most holes longer than the length the rest of the field can reach with a putter since the 1050s can reach those longer distances with a rounder edged, more accurate disc.

Double bogey 3 putt on final hole for McBeth. Still has the current hot round, but I'm guessing Eagle will eclipse his round.

So viewers aren't a fan of the golf style courses. Players do not seem to be a fan of them. Who exactly is, and why do we seem to see more of them every year? I honestly don't know, can someone enlighten me? Seems like it would be more work to setup and maintain such large courses as well just for a Pro Tour event.

So viewers aren't a fan of the golf style courses. Players do not seem to be a fan of them. Who exactly is, and why do we seem to see more of them every year? I honestly don't know, can someone enlighten me? Seems like it would be more work to setup and maintain such large courses as well just for a Pro Tour event.

Not enough great courses for top pros to compete, that also have infrastructure and cell signal. Land is expensive and a Gold level course uses a lot of it. Golf courses are a ready made course in a lot of instances all they have to do is pick 18 tees and basket locations. Not a lot of prep work. It's also easy for the crews to film.

The problem isn't really ball golf courses as a venue though... its what course was chosen and how it's used.

I'd be willing to bet DGN loves them for the cameras. Nothing blocking your line of sight, plenty of light, easier to fly drones.

I'd like to see John Houck (insert your favorite course designers here) be a course consultant for DGPT (or any tour that uses temporary courses). I realize they all can't be the Steady Ed type layout but a little research and common sense would greatly benefit the "growth of the sport" if it was done the year preceding the tour (forward thinking).

perhaps that would help appease spectators and those seeking to monetize the tour stops . of course there is the fact that there will always be someone complaining about free coverage of their fav players .

I'd be willing to bet DGN loves them for the cameras. Nothing blocking your line of sight, plenty of light, easier to fly drones.

That is very true. But eventually they're going to realize that they're creating a great spectator experience for something no one wants to watch

People will continue to watch. Every year the pro tour is on more golf courses and every year more people watch. I'd rather see more wooded courses though.

Also, a benefit of golf courses is the aesthetic appeal. Green grass and beautiful trees that you can see are nice for the cameras and peoples eyeballs.

I'd like to see John Houck (insert your favorite course designers here) be a course consultant for DGPT (or any tour that uses temporary courses). I realize they all can't be the Steady Ed type layout but a little research and common sense would greatly benefit the "growth of the sport" if it was done the year preceding the tour (forward thinking).
perhaps that would help appease spectators and those seeking to monetize the tour stops. of course there is the fact that there will always be someone complaining about free coverage of their fav players .
While in theory having an expert designer available for the DGPT and PDGA Majors, in practice the process is still dicey because "good design" for courses doesn't always mesh with the type of design that the tour and hosts feel is needed for their events. Local hosts who are ponying up the money to meet the tour requirements tend to be protective of their right to set up the course(s) in the way their local gurus desire or insist on using the standard stretch version of their existing tournament course like Waco for example. Or in the case of Portland, they had to scramble just to find a suitable alternative course site for the event.

One thing that can be lacking related to courses at some repeat venues is analyzing the data gathered from an event to improve problem holes or flow the following year because of tradition or a signature hole can't be touched. Worlds hosts in the past have done a good job testing and tweaking extended layouts or temp courses in warm-up events prior to Worlds. But that process may not always be followed these days except for courses that will be played in Worlds that have been played in tour events in a similar configuration like Smuggs courses.

An observation: Eagle only MPO birding the 3 par 5's. Cat only FPO birding the 4 par 5's.

With 17 attempts if I interpret the data correctly. There must be a back story or transcription errors.
Data must be off--holes 2 and 3 for instance, he birdied. Unless he has 800' distance and missed eagle putts, Udisc shows he made 5' putts (the typical distance for a parked hole.) But there are entries for missed C1 putts as well. I don't think all his made putts were 5' or 38', which is what Udisc is saying.